• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

please recommend me a way to mount my speakers on ceiling for atmos height channels.

zaraki

i have a 2.1 nearfield desktop set up in my bedroom with no room for surrounds, but I do have room for 2 height channels above me.

i have 2 cambridge audio sx-50 bookshelf speakers that I would use for the height channels.

can you recommend a safe way to mount them above me on the ceiling, if possible, please?

i was planning on mounting them above me but by ceiling is sloped so i am not sure if that is ok or not, I could mount them on the above on the wall in front of me but i don't know that will work for atmos height stuff.

Last edited:

Basic Channel

I recently contemplated taping bin bags filled with fibreglass to my ceiling, so I’d say no I cannot recommend a way to safely attach a speaker to the ceiling :):)

OP
zaraki

zaraki

I recently contemplated taping bin bags filled with fibreglass to my ceiling, so I’d say no I cannot recommend a way to safely attach a speaker to the ceiling :):)
thanks, my mom and sister mentioned it might not be safe also.

i just edited my original post.

can atmos height channels still work if they are mounted above me on the wall in front of me angled towards me?

also do most people do not use speakers for heights. are there specially designed speakers for heights maybe that work better on a ceiling?

also just to be clear, surrounds can't be behind me, right? I was told surrounds have to go on the side of you, but I am not sure. if they can go behind me then I would have room maybe for surrounds

Last edited:

Basic Channel

thanks, my mom and sister mentioned it might not be safe also.

i just edited my original post.

In case it wasn’t clear, I was making fun of myself rather than the idea itself. I can barely be trusted to safely put together an ikea table

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
also just to be clear, surrounds can't be behind me, right? I was told surrounds have to go on the side of you, but I am not sure.
Yes, surround speakers are designed to go to the sides but that's not to say you wouldn't like what they do if placed behind. Try temporarily setting them up and see. A lot easier than trying to mount to ceiling.

Clipboard01.jpg

OP
zaraki

zaraki

Yes, surround speakers are designed to go to the sides but that's not to say you wouldn't like what they do if placed behind. Try temporarily setting them up and see. A lot easier than trying to mount to ceiling.
Thanks so with what I have, I could do 2 surrounds with my Cambridge speakers behind me then or use them instead above on the wall in front of me as height channels

Which do you think would sound better? It would be a 4.1 set up or a 2.1.2 set up then I guess

Do you have any speaker wall mounts that you would recommend?

madrac

You can mount the ATMOS speakers high on the wall (near the ceiling) and works fine. When I was researching, on/in-ceiling was best, closely followed by high on wall near ceiling (~90-95% as good), with Dolby bounce speakers a very distant 3rd (IMO, not worth the cost).

You can probably find good brackets on Amazon to ceiling mount.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I used some fairly cheap universal Pyle ceiling mounts and adapted them to my Revel M80XC speakers for overheads. My system is shown in the post linked in my signature below, and the mounts I bought are below. There are many other variants; I needed mounts with fairly long extension rather than the smaller, shorter Omnimounts and such.

HTH - Don

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDC3...2672&sprefix=pyle+ceiling+moun,aps,146&sr=8-1

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which do you think would sound better? It would be a 4.1 set up or a 2.1.2 set up then I guess
Going to be a personal preference thing, but I think I'd rather have the surround. Easy enough to try if you have a multi-channel amp; just need some inexpensive speaker wire. What other equipment are you using in this setup?

OP
zaraki

zaraki

Going to be a personal preference thing, but I think I'd rather have the surround. Easy enough to try if you have a multi-channel amp; just need some inexpensive speaker wire. What other equipment are you using in this setup?

thanks, the more i think about it the more i think surround would be best and is what ill try first.

my full set up will be the kef ls50 meta for fronts and a svs sb 1000 pro sub along with the cambridge audio sx-50 speakers as the surrounds all connected to my denon x1700h avr.

my first speakers ever were an all-in-one onkyo 5.1 home theater in a box kit over 15 years ago and while I still had that back then i upgraded those fronts to the cambridge audio sx-50 speakers, the only thing i have left from all that now is the Cambridge speakers with the rest of my stuff being semi recent.

EDIT: I looked up what my old onkyo all in one was, it was the "Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1 Home Theater System" for those wondering

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the ceiling speakers you're maybe going to end up spending as much as the speakers are worth on tools and hardware, but it can be done. Something like the mounts @DonH56 linked could work. Then you are going to need to screw those to the speakers.

Then you're going to need to screw the mounts to joists in the ceiling, which you will want a good stud finder to locate. I have one of these and it works great, but maybe you can go cheaper. https://franklinsensors.com/prosensor-t13/

From there you just need to choose optimal locations, and a bit of confidence to start drilling holes in things.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My ceiling is floating so I used those plastic drywall screw anchors. I bought some heavy-duty versions, supposedly hold 50 lbs each, so four per mount. They're still up after about 5 years or so... My speakers had their own mounts so I just had to pick the right holes (might have added a couple) in the Pyle mounts. The shafts in the Pyle mounts were a little loose so I used a self-tapping screw in each to snug it down. The Pyle mounts are <$30 USD a pair so $60 for four, plus screws and anchors (plus some screw hooks for wire hangers along the ceiling) at maybe $10, so after the speakers the biggest cost was a spool of wire to hook them up. I like the M80XC's; not overly huge, but big enough to have decent bass.

Edit: Forgot the power amp, had to buy an amp for them, got a 4-channel NC252MP from Buckeye.

Top Bottom