• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please recommend me a high quality, small footprint dedicated headphone amp

Dogamondo

Hey guys, first post here.

I have a pretty simple requirement for a high quality headphone amp that will only receive input from a phono stage. It's just to be used for listening to vinyl on headphones without any DAC conversion or other components getting in the signal chain. The only caveat is that the space is really tight so the amp would need to be smaller than 150mm wide.

My cans at the moment are AKG K712's which I've used in the past for mixing, but will probably get a more suitable pair for dedicated music listening.

I've looked at the SMSL SH-6 which appears to check the boxes but apparently has quite a thin sound stage. So I'm looking for recommendations of the best quality headphone amp that'll squeeze into a tight space. Budget is sub $600.

Thanks in advance!

oleg87

apparently has quite a thin sound stage
An amp with absolutely negligible distortion and output impedance, and ruler-flat frequency response does not and cannot have "soundstage" outside of the human imagination, so I would not let that put you off.

The JDS Labs Atom should be a good option - it's one of the more affordable amps in its class, has excellent objective performance metrics, and I only hear good thing about dealing with the company if the need arises.

al2002

TCA (Tom Christiansen Audio).? Solid support if needed. Made in Canada. His products have been reviewed here.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
+1 on the JDS Atom. Not only for what Oleg87 says, it's also good looking and well built. (Kind of like me back in the day).

OP
D

Dogamondo

An amp with absolutely negligible distortion and output impedance, and ruler-flat frequency response does not and cannot have "soundstage" outside of the human imagination, so I would not let that put you off.

The JDS Labs Atom should be a good option - it's one of the more affordable amps in its class, has excellent objective performance metrics, and I only hear good thing about dealing with the company if the need arises.

Thanks for the feedback and recommendation on the JDS Atom.

Just to clarify, I might have used the wrong terminology when referencing the "soundstage" of the SMSL SH-6. The review I read said that it lacked a sense of accurate scale and depth, which did concern me. I really do like the look of it though.

The JDS Atom also looks fantastic and the size is right so I'll throw that in as a contender.

The other amp is the SH-8S which appears to be the bigger brother of the SH-6, but still comes in at the right size to fit my space.

My only concern at this stage from what I've read is that these amps are all considered entry to mid level and priced accordingly. I'm guessing due to their size. I am willing to spend a bit more on something higher-end if it's justified, so would also be keen to hear if there are any contenders in the "high end" space.

Had it not been for the size limitation I would have gone straight for the Topping A70 Pro, but unfortunately 210mm is just a tad too wide for the space my record player and phono pre lives.

+1 on the JDS Atom. Not only for what Oleg87 says, it's also good looking and well built. (Kind of like me back in the day).
Thanks for seconding this one too. And for the chuckle!

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Please recommend me a high quality, small footprint dedicated headphone amp​

Topping L30-II
Schiit Magni (+ or Heretic)
JDS Labs Atom+
SMSL SH-6
SMSL HO100

These are small, high quality and dedicated headphone amps that can drive almost any headphone perfectly. None of them color nor change the 'sound'.

You really do not have to spend more than $ 150.- to get an excellent headphone amp. The more expensive ones just are physically bigger and may have more inputs outputs.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping L30 II or JDS Atom+ are excellent and compact. Can't go wrong with either, whichever looks best and fits.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just to clarify, I might have used the wrong terminology when referencing the "soundstage" of the SMSL SH-6. The review I read said that it lacked a sense of accurate scale and depth, which did concern me.
There is no mechanism inside modern headphone amps that is able to affect the "sense of accurate scale and depth".
Whatever signal goes into these Amps, comes out.

The reviewer whose review you read most likely attributed the effect of one of many possible cognitive biases to the Amp by mistake.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Just to clarify, I might have used the wrong terminology when referencing the "soundstage" of the SMSL SH-6. The review I read said that it lacked a sense of accurate scale and depth, which did concern me. I really do like the look of it though.
Just to pile-on... ;) There is ONLY output voltage/power, frequency response, distortion and noise. Frequency response is almost always flat and distortion below audibility unless an amplifier is over-driven into distortion. Sometimes there may be noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). Audiophoolery.

And headphone soundstage mostly depends on the listener with only a few people getting a realistic soundstage illusion. Headphone soundstage survey That survey was a surprise to me! I don't hear a realistic soundstage but people talk about it so much that I thought I was an exception.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
considered entry to mid level and priced accordingly.
You're gonna have to be careful here. Our senior membership believes these terms were invented by audio salesmen going for a big - time wallet grab. While this is an expensive hobby, excellent products can be had for modest money -- you just have to be smart about it. NEVER buy into 'the more you spend, the more you get'. Educate yourself. Read Amir's reviews. Like you did here, ask for advice. And if you like this forum, send ASR a little money, because the money you save on gear will more than make up for your donation.

OP
D

Dogamondo

Hey guys, I've re-jigged my turntable setup to allow for more space for the extra equipment so I'm no longer tied down to the small form factor.

I did go ahead and purchase the SMSL SH-6 headphone amp from Amazon which I'm currently trialling. It's interesting, the sound is very clear but I feel like it brightens up the top end compared to the sound I get just running the phono pre straight into a ADC and listening via the computer. Whether one or the other is colouring the sound at all I'm not sure of. But I slightly prefer the sound when going direct to the ADC (the music feels more full and rounded to my ears).

Having said that, now that I can accomodate a larger unit, would there be a noticeable step up in sound quality between the SH-6 and say, the Topping A70 Pro?

And out of interest, in these little amps, does the signal pass through the same circuitry to get to the headphones as it does to get to the preamp output? Ideally I don't want to have the sound coming from the phono pre altered on its way to the ADC when in preamp mode.

Thanks again

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And out of interest, in these little amps, does the signal pass through the same circuitry to get to the headphones as it does to get to the preamp output?
Yes, the differences being:

The load is far less on headphone out (when the headphone out is disconnected) resulting in better technical performance and usually there is an added series resistance in the line-out.

OP
D

Dogamondo

Yes, the differences being:

The load is far less on headphone out (when the headphone out is disconnected) resulting in better technical performance and usually there is an added series resistance in the line-out.
Thanks Solderdude, so with the "pre" switch engaged, the performance is actually better going out to the amp? What does the series resistance do on the line out?

That bright sound I believe I can hear is also present on the line out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Marginally better (measurably) as the amplifier circuits usually have higher distortion in lower impedance loads. In practice, unless it measures really crappy in low impedance loads, the differences are inaudible.

The series resistor is needed to ensure stability of the amplifier section. Longer RCA cables present a capacitive load that is not damped by a substantial resistive load (the headphone impedance). To prevent oscillations the series resistor is used.
Some headphone/pre-amp designs have a resistor attenuator on the line-out which also increases the output resistance.
In those cases a give-away could be a lower max. output voltage specification on the line-out compared to the headphone out.
As the headphone out voltage is rarely given one should calculate the max. output voltage first. Output power in 300ohm rating would be where to calculate the max. output voltage from.

The bright sound you hear could be for many reasons. The most likely ones (would need to be verified by measurements) is the phono pre-out is somewhat load dependent in frequency response or could also be a psycho-acoustic phenomenon. No way to tell without measurements.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DAC/AMP that uses USB-C and is on the smaller side? The dac part might not be necessary, but in my experience Dell desktops onboard dac/layout tends to click and stutter especially if you are multi tasking. I want something I can plug into my laptop and then use my headphones with them.

Thanks!

jamster

@Dogamondo I use AKG 712s with a Massdrop THX 789 amp and a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Anniversary dac. It might be considered a bit of a budget combo in this hobby, but whenever I use it I am blown away. I've tried the 712s on more expensive setups and nothing has come close. I think it is the combination of clean power from the THX amp and the slightly warm sound of the AKM dac in the SMSL. I am keen to try a Fiio K7 as it looks like a similar set up.

drewdawg999

@Dogamondo I use AKG 712s with a Massdrop THX 789 amp and a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Anniversary dac. It might be considered a bit of a budget combo in this hobby, but whenever I use it I am blown away. I've tried the 712s on more expensive setups and nothing has come close. I think it is the combination of clean power from the THX amp and the slightly warm sound of the AKM dac in the SMSL. I am keen to try a Fiio K7 as it looks like a similar set up.
I also had a Sanskrit 10th mkII into a THX 789 and it was a dynamite combo. Big plus was running off USB power. Just the 2V output was able to drive hungry planars LCD-2 and OG HE-400, though needed to kick the 789 into high III gain at times.

But was able to upgrade my bedroom headphone system's DAC to a DO100 running XLRs. The ESS chip sounds better on PCM, measurably better too. And I do like the extra power and drive of a 4V output.

20230622_153408.jpg

OP
D

Dogamondo

Thanks guys,

I'm teetering on returning the SH-6 and grabbing either the SMSL HO200 or the Topping A7Pro. I don't need a DAC just a headphone amp for analogue listening that won't alter the sound when sending to the DAC in preamp mode.

Pricey hobby this thing!

Top Bottom