• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help me choose a turntable...

Robin L

Master Contributor
I know what you're getting at @Robin L, but would add that:
The potential issue with the DDs of yore can be irreplaceable (in the sense of NLA) ICs. :(
Most of the wear-outtable stuff is common to all types of record players (e.g., arm and platter bearings, suspension components, if applicable), anyway. :(

Yes, there were some esoteric "solutions" to bearings... and, of course:
all generalizations are false -- including this one.

;)
I'm just speaking from personal experience. I also had a couple of downmarket Technics direct drive turntables which also worked fine. Whereas the PE 'tables using rim-drive had problems from the moment I got them, and the Sansui belt drive 'table ran audibly fast. The Strathclyde 'table, belt drive, was a lovely machine but over more than a decade the belt stretched out to the point where it was no longer useful and couldn't be replaced. I'm not speaking in generalizations, I'm speaking of specific experiences.

Robin L

Master Contributor
. . . assembled in China nevertheless, I see sort of a warning sign ... :oops:
People used to say the same about Japanese products, a long time ago. China has been gaining on the world as regards technological skill in manufacture. Consider some of Topping's products. The L30 headphone amp/preamp still is the reigning king of both noise and distortion, and goes for about $150. It's still one of my happiest purchases.

Cougar80

The potential issue with the DDs of yore can be irreplaceable (in the sense of NLA) ICs. :(
Yep, that’s my understanding with my Denon. If the IC goes it’s toast, but recapping is good insurance.

I really don’t know what I’d get if it died. I’m currently enjoying hi-res streaming more, but there are times I love the ritual of putting on a record. One thing that bugs me about modern TTs is the lack of an auto-stop feature. There aren’t a lot of options in the “audiophile-grade” realm that have it.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I prefer to keep any conversation well within the forum.

What I'm asking is totally on topic for what you said ... but reading between the lines I understand you know the answer :cool:

Today, thinking that China basically means low quality is a great nonsense. Check for Apple, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, ... almost every big brand.

mike70

Yep, that’s my understanding with my Denon. If the IC goes it’s toast, but recapping is good insurance.

I really don’t know what I’d get if it died. I’m currently enjoying hi-res streaming more, but there are times I love the ritual of putting on a record. One thing that bugs me about modern TTs is the lack of an auto-stop feature. There aren’t a lot of options in the “audiophile-grade” realm that have it.

The auto return mechanism adds many moving parts to the tonearm ... not the best.
Auto lift gadgets is preferred, you can buy one separately or some models have that feature, like the Technics 1500c.

Golf

Today, thinking that China basically means low quality is a great nonsense.

Which is why I don’t do so.

But I do believe that for instance the Denon folks have solid reason for still assembling most of their top gear in Japan.

Cougar80

The auto return mechanism adds many moving parts to the tonearm ... not the best.
Auto lift gadgets is preferred, you can buy one separately or some models have that feature, like the Technics 1500c.
Yep my vintage Denon only has auto lift and stops the motor. I have no desire for full automatic.

Interesting the 1500c only auto lifts. Seems like if the TT senses the end of a record and has a lifting mechanism built in it would be trivial to send a stop signal to the motor.

mike70

Which is why I don’t do so.

But I do believe that for instance the Denon folks have solid reason for still assembling most of their top gear in Japan.

... and I believe it can be more profitable for a very small batch of products (as an example) and not because in China isn't possible to achieve the same quality.

Top Bottom