• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please explain what I need to make Roon work...

SPOautos

I run Roon Core running on a Brix I3 NUC. I have streamed the following configurations:
- I3 Roon core USB to Oppo UDP-205 (primay use)
- Network to UDP-205
- Network to PI3 Volumio via USB to Oppo UDP-205

A Synology 5 disk NAS holds my CD and HD Audio files and now I increasing use QOBUZ.
I have had an rare pause (1% of the time) from QOBUZ but no issues with any other conenction.

I love Roon, it has been much more reliable than J River.
At least 10% of the time, I had to reboot the Brix to get it working.

- Rich

What OS are you running on your NUC?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows 10 Pro.
I use max power of 2 up-sampling and the CPU is below 10%.
It would be more if running complex EQ.

I experience no issues using USB from the core.
I have not DBT'ed the difference in up-sampling but my impression is that it sounds better up-sampled where the core is using more CPU.
That is contrary to the USB noise/interference narrative.

- Rich

Last edited:

nugget

Forum Donor
Is that true for linux? At least in the past, it didn't seem possible to play or control Roon in linux? https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-remote-on-linux/77575

No, the interactive UI is only available on macOS and Windows (and Roon Remote on mobile iOS/Android). Linux can run the back-end Roon Server (sometimes they call it the "core") but not the front-end. You can run the Roon Server on Linux and then control it from a phone or tablet. You could also install the third-part Roon Web Controller for rudimentary playback controls from a Linux machine, but it's only a thin slice of the overall experience. Web Control plus a phone or tablet could be a usable compromise if you're a strictly linux environment. I've never tried, but my understanding is that running the Roon UI in WINE is not a great experience.

The Roon Downloads page breaks this all down in some detail.

SPOautos

No, the interactive UI is only available on macOS and Windows (and Roon Remote on mobile iOS/Android). Linux can run the back-end Roon Server (sometimes they call it the "core") but not the front-end. You can run the Roon Server on Linux and then control it from a phone or tablet. You could also install the third-part Roon Web Controller for rudimentary playback controls from a Linux machine, but it's only a thin slice of the overall experience. Web Control plus a phone or tablet could be a usable compromise if you're a strictly linux environment. I've never tried, but my understanding is that running the Roon UI in WINE is not a great experience.

So theres no control side with Linux, but it appears (based on the link you provided) that the Linux core/server still can connect to the stereo via Chromecast Audio or Airplay. So eventhough controlling with a phone, the phone doesnt have to be connected to the stereo, correct, the core on the Linux server will be connected. Am I understanding that correct?

nugget

Forum Donor
So theres no control side with Linux, but it appears (based on the link you provided) that the Linux core/server still can connect to the stereo via Chromecast Audio or Airplay. So eventhough controlling with a phone, the phone doesnt have to be connected to the stereo, correct, the core on the Linux server will be connected. Am I understanding that correct?

That's it exactly.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid $500 for the lifetime subscription about 2 years ago. There are many things I love about Roon and for the few months I had Tidal, the integration was nice to have especially to discover music outside of my library. In the last few months, I have run into one issue after another with Roon and although they fix them eventually, its been very annoying. One issue yet to be fixed is Roon abruptly stopped seeing my speakers on one a PC where I run the Roon client - this means I cannot use Roon on my PC to play music on that same PC which is absurd. I have tinkered with firewall settings on my core and my client to no avail. Android app has had several issues and unusable for a few weeks. My sob story aside, I agree with @Alobar - I would not recommend a lifetime sub unless its easily affordable to you.

And now, with Amazon music, I use that a lot even though the app is ****** - Roon integration to this would be super nice but doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Latest Roon update resulted in my android app not connecting to Roon core (Windows and iOS apps are still working). Also my Roon core cannot see my Chromecast Audio devices after this update. Every update breaks something new.

SPOautos

Latest Roon update resulted in my android app not connecting to Roon core (Windows and iOS apps are still working). Also my Roon core cannot see my Chromecast Audio devices after this update. Every update breaks something new.

Thank you for sharing.....it sure sounds like as things are being added, it's getting more and more flakey. I probably wont fork out the money for Roon until the Android app is working well.....but I want to set everything up so that I can use Roon at some point. Right now Im using Audirvana and really like it...their Android app is excellent.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've never tried, but my understanding is that running the Roon UI in WINE is not a great experience.

I've never tried that either, but this will, at least, automate setting it up.

mkarikom

1. Both like to control the UX

Just noticed that the spotify public api provides fully-documented, high-availability access to the content of user libraries.

My two cents is that Roon probably could and should offer spotify-integrated discovery, and if they can't work with spotify on this, just do it via the user-supplied api-key approach (see the rclone model).

The lack of spotify integration is definitely an issue. Lot's of music just doesn't come to tidal (I've been a tidal hifi subscriber for the last 3 years and a spotify premium subscriber for the last 7)

Top Bottom