• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planning to buy HD6XX, is on-board audio good enough?

Ferdock

I plan to buy the HD6XX soon and would like to get dedicated amp/dac at some later date unless my motherboard audio isn't good enough. I have a Gigabyte X470 gaming 7 (rev 1.1) here's the link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-50-rev-11#kf

I'm unsure if it can drive 300ohm and how good would it sound compared to a dedicated setup. If the difference is small enough I'll hold off on buying dedicated.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just buy an amp like the:
JDS Atom
Schiit Heresy
monoprice liquid spark
FiiO K5
Topping A30, L30
JDS O2 (portable)
Archel 2 Pro

and you are good to go.
Stay away from amps that are specified at 32 Ohm only, these might not be enough.
Later

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/
Look for 100mW or more into 300 Ohm amplifiers.
When you only plan to use the HD6XX it also isn't a problem to buy an amp with 10 Ohm output resistance/impedance either which widens the playing field.
More expensive does not mean better.

Get a hearing test

Onboard wont be good enough even if it has good audio implementation with good caps. As its just an afterthought even when its not. hd600 sounds good on a x99 but its so bland\flat once you hear it amped and with a good dac. atom+khadas tone board in my case.

OP
F

Ferdock

Just an update I ended up getting a magni heresy with the 6xx's. Was gonna get a modi 3 also but I really don't like micro usb (hopefully next gen they switch to usb-c). I've heard from others that using my motherboard for a dac is ok for the time being

Get a hearing test

Just an update I ended up getting a magni heresy with the 6xx's. Was gonna get a modi 3 also but I really don't like micro usb (hopefully next gen they switch to usb-c). I've heard from others that using my motherboard for a dac is ok for the time being
Mobo will be just fine for now. But do look to add a dac, i can say khadas tone board is excellent. It made a bigger difference than adding atom amp.
If i can plot the improvements in percentages in my case:
I started by driving hd600 from a my pc mobo dac about 50% of the way there
from an old pc: it was awful, like 20-30%. High noise floor
From a phone with a decent audio dac: about 30% Didnt have enough juice but quiet at max volume and no audio playing.
An audio interface i got for my mic behringer 202hd: 70% of the way there
x99 mobo and atom amp 60% of the way there. The interface had an edge, but had a noisier operation that. maybe 65%.
atom amp and khadas tone board 90-95% By far the biggest improvement. or in my case 100% as its my reference now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom