• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar upgrade

Smychavo

Hey there, been awhile. I'm still looking for a proper upgrade to my HE-4XXs sub $1,000. Better distortion figures, closed or open-back, with a base frequency response that smooths out the treble, and adds a more prevalent bass and midrange response. I had some ideas, HD-650/6XX, LCD-2, or 2C, HE6SE V2, or the Ether CXs. I'd be grateful for any advice or recommendations in that regard. Thanks again :>

virtua

HE6SE v2 would probably be the most logical option, just make sure you've got an amp which puts out enough power for it and how loud you want to listen to them.

OP
S

Smychavo

HE6SE v2 would probably be the most logical option, just make sure you've got an amp which puts out enough power for it and how loud you want to listen to them.
Asgard 3, I remember crunching numbers and finding its power output to be more than adequate for my listening given its impedance and need for current. Sadly, I don't have that little note-file on hand anymore.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is on sale too for 400 now on adorama, cheapest ever price! Drop ether cx for 700 or even 600 is also good. Both of these are measured by Amir.

OP
S

Smychavo

That's two for the 6SE and one for the CX. I'm sure the others I listed are great in their own rights but I'll admit I'm seriously considering the aforementioned more than anything. CX may be a smidge more of what I'm looking for, even if it is a closed back. Frequency response looks very good, and the generally superior distortion figures means it's better at handling EQ should I feel the need to tinker with it.
Though, I've always had a vested fascination with the HE6, it does look like a very compelling step up, open back and all. I'm not personally worried about the power requirements given my current setup, though if it truly is inadequate by a numbers standpoint I'd like to know.

Last edited:

virtua

Asgard 3, I remember crunching numbers and finding its power output to be more than adequate for my listening given its impedance and need for current. Sadly, I don't have that little note-file on hand anymore.

It's true that the HE6SEv2 is quite an insensitive headphone but you should be absolutely fine with the Asgard 3.

Top Bottom