• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pixel 8 and Wavelet...Qudelix?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone having trouble getting Wavelet to behave with their Pixel 8?

I'm not sure if it's the OS or the fact that we're now using USB instead of the 3.5mm out like my Pixel 4a, but it's very unreliable and works with fewer apps than before.

I'm about to "solve" the problem with a Qudelix 5K, but it's been out so long I wonder if they are working on a new version. The design could use some improvements.

usersky

Forum Donor
For me it works ok right now on Android 14 but no Pixel. I had problems in the past and they mostly fixed when I swiched back to release channel (I was on beta, maybe you are too?). However from what I understand wavelet is based on a hack, not on a documented/well supported way to hook into the audio path (correct me if I am wrong) and that's where the problems come (fails to activate sometimes, fail to work with some apps etc). Wavelet have some other issues, even the bizzare graphical EQ with 128 filters is so unusual (thankfully it's suported by autoeq.app). It's a pitty that the only system wide EQ available on Andoid have so much issues but still I use it all the time and choose to pay for it, even though knowing that it may stop working at any future Android update.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not sure if it's the OS or the fact that we're now using USB instead of the 3.5mm out like my Pixel 4a, but it's very unreliable and works with fewer apps than before.

I'm about to "solve" the problem with a Qudelix 5K, but it's been out so long I wonder if they are working on a new version. The design could use some improvements.
What's the source player /streaming app you are using? Wavelet seems to work fine on my 6 with latest firmware.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Does you Pixel 8 have a 3.5mm jack? Doesn't sound like it; neither does my Pixel 7a (Android 14). How about an micro SD slot? Or FM radio reception?

I went to the Pixel 7a because of its relatively small size, but damn, I miss the 3.5 jack and an SD slot for storage of stuff like more music, videos, and photos. No so much the radio though I'd use it occasionally.

As for using wired headphones, I guess I'll need to go with some think like the Qudelix 5k via USB Type C or Bluetooth(?).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does you Pixel 8 have a 3.5mm jack? Doesn't sound like it; neither does my Pixel 7a (Android 14). How about an micro SD slot? Or FM radio reception?

I went to the Pixel 7a because of its relatively small size, but damn, I miss the 3.5 jack and an SD slot for storage of stuff like more music, videos, and photos. No so much the radio though I'd use it occasionally.

As for using wired headphones, I guess I'll need to go with some think like the Qudelix 5k via USB Type C or Bluetooth(?).
BTW and FWIW, I've bought the TANCHJIM Space headphone amp which Amir highly recommend HERE at ASR. I mainly what to listen to wired head phones on my Google Pixel 7a. Various subjective reviewers have also praised the 'Space' evidencing the superbly low distortion can, to the ears of many, make a significant difference.

I might add the Wavelet app to my Pixel 7a to see if the works and if it makes any improvement. I wonder how Wavelet applies the Harmon Curve without actually measuring you headphones response?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I might add the Wavelet app to my Pixel 7a to see if the works and if it makes any improvement. I wonder how Wavelet applies the Harmon Curve without actually measuring you headphones response?
Uses the auto eq measurements / eq profiles. Hundreds of aggregated measurements on there

Top Bottom