• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pioneer SX 1050 vintage receiver

HarryVie

what speakers should i buy for my vintage pioneer SX 1050?
Mission 770 or dynaudio heritage special or KLH Model5?
and what A/D converter?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your SX1050 (I've owned 1080 and a 1280) is a 50+ year old piece of electronics. Who knows how far from spec it has drifted by now (even with repair, heck, especially with repair)... So just aim for something period, 70s and just go for looks. Old speakers are much more likely to age gracefully (surrounds notwithstanding). But if you want to spend the big bucks and go new - any of the Warfedale Heritage or jBL 100s will look right. Personally, just dig up and refresh some A25s and enjoy the music.

Forgot to add... -:> audiokarma is that way

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what A/D converter?
I suggest the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+. It has auto off and is simple and works well.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
what speakers should i buy for my vintage pioneer SX 1050?
Mission 770 or dynaudio heritage special or KLH Model5?
and what A/D converter?
Are you talking about the current KLH Five or the vintage KLH Five, @HarryVie?

Are you in the US? If so, maybe something like the Polk Legend L600(?).

For the record & FWIW, I have an SX-1050, which has been properly restored (although ca. 20 years ago). It is an OK but unexceptional performer, even for its era. It does look (and feel) very nice, though.

Top Bottom