• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Floyd Re-form

F

freemansteve

I am a huge PF fan. I had been hearing and liking them since "Astronomy Domine", " Interstellar Overdrive" etc but I never had the money to buy LPs at that time. Or even singles!

I bought the LP "Meddle" on the day it came out, as did most of my friends, having saved up. There was a queue in the record shop.

It's fine that Roger Waters wrote most of their material, but it sadly became a monologue about his childhood (even though most of us had it worse, and never moaned), and IMHO there is a lot of rubbish you have to plough through to get to the real gems....

And to me, and most of my friends from those days, the "gem tracks" are all about soaring Gilmour guitar, and the Wright/Mason keyboards and drums, not so much Waters on bass or his vocals or lyrics, whether he gets the credits for the music or not. Just sayin' .....

I mean, how cool is this; which player would you be? :

Last edited by a moderator:

DonR

Major Contributor
I am also a huge PF fan but I stopped at The Wall. For me, that was the last album that had any magic although I think WYWH was their height. I think they should have gone their separate ways after that and left the Pink Floyd name to history as The Beatles did.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have absolutely no use for Waters or his opinions on world politics, they're dangerous, racist, and inflammatory.
His solo efforts have been pure garbage. The only ones that sold were his rehashed Wall releases.

The Gilmour lead years have brought forth many great albums and the "not as good as the old days" view is like in most quotes like this, an error of prospective. IMHO he's the greatest guitar player of our generation. ;)

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I'm happy to see Gilmour's motivated for the cause. I don't understand the lyrics but in all candor for the most part when I'm listening to rock singing is not what moves me anyway (else I would never listen to Rush or Dylan).

I'll take Gilmour's melodic prog beautiful tone lead guitar every day of the week.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I admire and applaud the effort, the song frankly is even far below sub-par. The singing is akin to a typical Eastern European Eurovision song, the Pink Floyd part is just not as sharp and precise as it should be. It’s all off somehow.
It is a Pink Floyd remix of an Eastern European song, sung by an Ukrainian, a-Capella on the deserted streets of Kyiv. Pink Floyd put their name behind him to get the message across and generate cash for the Ukrainians. All proceeds will go towards Ukrainian humanitarian relief.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All proceeds will go towards Ukrainian humanitarian relief.
I hope the song does well, though if it is to make some serious cash, it needs to be good to last a while. And I don’t think it is. But we’ll see, many young people don’t really know the Pink Floyd sound, many will give it a sympathy listen, and many others might actually like the song.

After 2 days still nr 4 and 11 in iTunes Charts, together easily nr 1.

Last edited:

Andretti60

I found a good article that describes how this project was developed

I find the comments in the thread about Roger Waters out of place, look at the Moon, not at the finger that points to it. This is a Gilmour project, he uses the name PF just to gain attention (and he can legally do it).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Australia isn't liking the song anymore already. It dropped to 10 in the iTunes charts there.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was listening to 'Animals' yesterday and it really is an outstanding record both musically and lyrically.

Water's solo albums don't really get to that sort of level. Likewise Floyd without him doesn't approach the heights of Floyd with him.

As said upthread he has to combine with the rest of Floyd for the best to happen.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I was listening to 'Animals' yesterday and it really is an outstanding record both musically and lyrically.

Water's solo albums don't really get to that sort of level. Likewise Floyd without him doesn't approach the heights of Floyd with him.

As said upthread he has to combine with the rest of Floyd for the best to happen.

Animals is my favorite PF album and on my top 10 list for prog.

I'll take On An Island and Rattle That Lock, DG's two solos, over any RW solos and by a country mile.

Just one proghead's opinion.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning

some people (including me) think the division bell is about as good as P.F. ever got... and i was a senior in h.s. when the wall came out , so i have plenty of reference...

Top Bottom