• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Faun 2.16x music streamer - $20k PC ?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
$20k for what is a PC without a DAC or storage!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pink-faun-216x-music-streamer

Why does one need all this to decode a digital file ?
------------------
The Pink Faun arrives in a substantial wooden crate that cradles the streamer in several inches of dense plastic; the weight of the crate and the other packing materials nearly equals the weight of the streamer. It took help and planning to lift it to the top of my rack. As my reward, I removed the top plate to satisfy my curiosity about why a streamer would need to be so massive to accomplish a straightforward, narrowly defined task.

What I saw was a computer motherboard with its CPU liquid-cooled by copper tubes coupling it to the large heatsinks that form the right side of the chassis. The symmetric heatsinks on the left serve to dissipate the heat from at least five large power transistors, part of the multiple power supplies in the Pink Faun. Both of those heatsinks are mounted to chassis side panels more than a half-inch thick. Behind the front panel, mounted to a similarly thick transverse subpanel, are three massive toroidal power transformers that would not be out of place in 250W power amps. There are separate linear supplies for the processor, motherboard, SSDs, clocks, and digital output cards, reflecting the designer's obsessive concern for supplying each of the computer's multiple functional components with an independent, low-noise power source.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
$20k for what is a PC without a DAC or storage!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pink-faun-216x-music-streamer

Why does one need all this to decode a digital file ?
------------------
The Pink Faun arrives in a substantial wooden crate that cradles the streamer in several inches of dense plastic; the weight of the crate and the other packing materials nearly equals the weight of the streamer. It took help and planning to lift it to the top of my rack. As my reward, I removed the top plate to satisfy my curiosity about why a streamer would need to be so massive to accomplish a straightforward, narrowly defined task.

What I saw was a computer motherboard with its CPU liquid-cooled by copper tubes coupling it to the large heatsinks that form the right side of the chassis. The symmetric heatsinks on the left serve to dissipate the heat from at least five large power transistors, part of the multiple power supplies in the Pink Faun. Both of those heatsinks are mounted to chassis side panels more than a half-inch thick. Behind the front panel, mounted to a similarly thick transverse subpanel, are three massive toroidal power transformers that would not be out of place in 250W power amps. There are separate linear supplies for the processor, motherboard, SSDs, clocks, and digital output cards, reflecting the designer's obsessive concern for supplying each of the computer's multiple functional components with an independent, low-noise power source.
I was going to start a thread on this in a "Great Audiophile Spoofs" section but couldn't find one. Surely Kal Rubinson has managed to sneak this into the Stereophile site to see if anyone notices? I mean, c'mon
From the Pink Faun via the Okto dac8 PRO, there was no system background noise, and the ambient aura before the music started mapped out a large space. The first notes surprised as they spilled out with requisite hall sound and body resonance from a large instrument that, only milliseconds before, was not there.
and
Certainly, the Pink Faun is sufficiently transparent to permit me to hear differences among DACs and reconstruction filters.
And this ridiculous thing doesn't even have its own DAC! Measurements? Of course not! They would show that it does nothing that, say, a Raspberry Pi can't do.

Last edited:
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I was going to start a thread on this in a "Great Audiophile Spoofs" section but couldn't find one. Surely Kal Rubinson has managed to sneak this into the Stereophile site to see if anyone notices? I mean, c'mon
and

And this ridiculous thing doesn't even have its own DAC! Measurements? Of course not! They would show that it does nothing that, say, a Raspberry Pi can't do.
Yeah, generally Kal Rubinson's reviews are quite sensible, and of course he contributes very valuable points on this forum as well. The joke will be on the 2 people in the world who may actually end up buying this monstrosity and then instantly feel the 'air', 'slam' and rhazzmatazz. The emperor has no clothes.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't care if it is the best in the world, anything with 'pink' in the name, and using that color on the faceplate, is off my short list, and likely off any list. Why would someone name a product after a goat-man, and then color it pink? Why would they do that? Not sure I even want to know the answer to that question.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I don't care if it is the best in the world, anything with 'pink' in the name, and using that color on the faceplate, is off my short list, and likely off any list. Why would someone name a product after a goat-man, and then color it pink? Why would they do that? Not sure I even want to know the answer to that question.
You can get different colors, mainly so you can have synergy with the warmth or brightness of your speakers to dial in the perfect sound.
I think they should have an assortment of colored face plates, say at around $1400 a piece, to match your mood or musical preference.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get different colors, mainly so you can have synergy with the warmth or brightness of your speakers to dial in the perfect sound.
I think they should have an assortment of colored face plates, say at around $1400 a piece, to match your mood or musical preference.
I see. For those Dark Side of the Moon alarm clocks all the reviewers talk about you'd want a pink one. And for Smoke on the Water a purple one. And the Beatles White Album... and so on and so on. This could get expensive if you listened to more than one band.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am sorry that the posted picture shows a pink front plate (which may be the standard offering) because it is a gross misrepresentation of the specific device I reviewed. If you read the review, it is revealed that my sample was actually in Lamborghini Orange. I hope that helps your appreciation.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My question is, what does this device do that my $350 laptop doesn't?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yeah, generally Kal Rubinson's reviews are quite sensible, and of course he contributes very valuable points on this forum as well. The joke will be on the 2 people in the world who may actually end up buying this monstrosity and then instantly feel the 'air', 'slam' and rhazzmatazz. The emperor has no clothes.
There are a number of these absurd devices. Even if they did make some microscopic difference (which flies in the face of common sense and how digital audio works), just think how much greater the difference the cost would make if applied where it actually mattered!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry that the posted picture shows a pink front plate (which may be the standard offering) because it is a gross misrepresentation of the specific device I reviewed. If you read the review, it is revealed that my sample was actually in Lamborghini Orange. I hope that helps your appreciation.
Well, Kal, I guess if you are fortunate enough to look out your living room window and see a Huracan parked in your driveway, this might be an affordable (if not a reasonable) purchase. But I can definitely guarantee that that an orange Lambo (or even a lime green one) is going to give you more value for your dollar, more excitement, and have a better long term residual than this furry thing.

As far as the name? I get mythology, but when it comes to fauns, both Ovid and Marvell drew the line at pink goat-men. I defer to their judgement. LOL.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Comes in pink and orange?
On the other hand, my device streams video in high-def. The Acer Aspire 5 has a first rate 15" display.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand, my device streams video in high-def. The Acer Aspire 5 has a first rate 15" display.
Come on Rob..., there's always going to be trade offs for your twenty thousand dollars! :)

threni

Major Contributor
Or a $35 RPi? Is it not just a bridge to accept input from either a network or a computer drive and output digital audio via the usual S/PDIF, USB, etc.?

When my Pi 4 setup is finished (it works but i'm currently working on using an infra-red receiver to implement pause, rewind/forward and power-off via the unused buttons on my E30 remote control) I'm going to see if I lose anything with a Pi Zero W for £9.30.

peanuts

vid.JPG

sounds like what you need for a digital ouput.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I could not be a reviewer. I mean, if John, or Larry, or Jim (or whomever is running the circus over there now) called me up and said, "Look, we need you to review a twenty thousand dollar streamer named after a pink goat-man," I'd laugh myself silly. Either that or get angry, slam down the phone, go to my drinks cabinet and throw back a double whisky, all the time mumbling under my breath about the insanity and meaninglessness of modern life.

Speaking of, can anyone imagine Gordon Holt, even in his most tweaky of tweak days, taking something like this seriously?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
When my Pi 4 setup is finished (it works but i'm currently working on using an infra-red receiver to implement pause, rewind/forward and power-off via the unused buttons on my E30 remote control) I'm going to see if I lose anything with a Pi Zero W for £9.30.
If you don't need the extra connectivity (wired ethernet, USB3) or processing power (brutefir or other filters) you probably won't notice a difference. Works a treat with PiCorePlayer.

Top Bottom