• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pi 4 Moode Audio bluetooth aptX/LDAC

Nonick

Managed to install and configure bluez-alsa on Moode Audio Player, with installed BT codecs: SBC, AAC, aptx, aptxHD and LDAC.
Here is the output of $ bluealsa -h
Available BT profiles:
- a2dp-source Advanced Audio Source (v1.3)
- a2dp-sink Advanced Audio Sink (v1.3)
- hfp-ag Hands-Free Audio Gateway (v1.7)
- hfp-hf Hands-Free (v1.7)
- hsp-ag Headset Audio Gateway (v1.2)
- hsp-hs Headset (v1.2)

Available BT audio codecs:
a2dp-source: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD, LDAC
a2dp-sink: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD
hfp-*: CVSD

Ive tried to connect with phone (aptX and LDAC supported) to Raspberry Moode - but not possible to use aptx or LDAC: it keeps connecting with SBC codec.

Anyone managed working Moode aptx/LDAC codec?

magchiel

AFAIK LDAC not working is a licensing limitation from Sony on LDAC that is incompatible with Moode's.
LDAC's encoder license is open while decoding requires a proprietary license.

See https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3684

Can't think of a reason AptX wouldn't be working. It did out of the box with a clean image on a Pi Zero 2w last time I tried.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nonick

AptX was working ouf of the box with Moode?
I cant get it working . Sink and source are showing all codecs installed, but even with forced Aptx codec on smartphone it wont connect to Moode.
It connects only with SBC.

magchiel

Sorry I have mispoken on having aptx working. Evidently it's excluded, likely for the same reasons LDAC is (except for Qualcom being the proprietor).

I currently don't have a Bluetooth capable Pi laying around (the Zero was build for someone else) so I can't replicate, but can you get streaming working directly with bluealsa-aplay? Any errors in the journal?

The truth is that I only tested it functionally (how does it work when I stream to Moode, assuming it being AptX, or in the case of this response a Mother of... ), but since my DACs all have LDAC capability and I'm not settling for anything less anyway, I don't bother using Moode for cases I require Bluetooth streaming. Which is probably what I would recommend.

OP
N

Nonick

Streaming via bluealsa is working, no errors in log. But it only streams with SBC/AAC.
$ bluealsa-aplay -L
A2DP (SBC): S16_LE 2 channels
Though used devices support aptx, aptxHD, LDAC (ifi zen blue works out of the box with ldac or aptx).

Moodester

Managed to install and configure bluez-alsa on Moode Audio Player, with installed BT codecs: SBC, AAC, aptx, aptxHD and LDAC.
Here is the output of $ bluealsa -h
Available BT profiles:
- a2dp-source Advanced Audio Source (v1.3)
- a2dp-sink Advanced Audio Sink (v1.3)
- hfp-ag Hands-Free Audio Gateway (v1.7)
- hfp-hf Hands-Free (v1.7)
- hsp-ag Headset Audio Gateway (v1.2)
- hsp-hs Headset (v1.2)

Available BT audio codecs:
a2dp-source: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD, LDAC
a2dp-sink: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD
hfp-*: CVSD

Ive tried to connect with phone (aptX and LDAC supported) to Raspberry Moode - but not possible to use aptx or LDAC: it keeps connecting with SBC codec.

Anyone managed working Moode aptx/LDAC codec?
With help of the link attached, I could make SBC, AAC, aptX and aptX-HD work both as receiver and transmitter. I tried LDAC transmitter but not sure if it was me who messed it up or the procedure was wrong. Didn't have an LDAC capable device at hand to test it at that moment so didn't care.

Devices were RPi3A+ and RPi3B+ with Moode 7.1 like the link suggests. I tried with RPi Zero W (not Zero2) as well but it stuttered badly so didn't care.

I haven't tried it with Moode 8 and Pi4/Zero2 for till now so can't comment on that.

I'm currently working with a RPi3B+ and Moode 8, if somebody can confirm the aforementioned method works with Moode 8 then I can try again. Bcz it was a 35-45 mins job last time I tried, give or take.

https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3683

Top Bottom