• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

On Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O", which mix do you prefer?

• Bright-Side Mix

• Dark-Side Mix

• (neither)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Ok, now you've made an unwarranted, context-ignorant leap to score a point. Hey, it's the internet, it happens.

I 'threw shade' at a dated production fad Portishead employed on Dummy on thread about analog-sound plugins. I like Dummy just fine otherwise; it's a classic, I still play it.

Wholesale dismissal of an artist with a catalog as varied as Peter Gabriel's, or claiming that five seconds of new music is enough to make one throw it out a window in favor of the laughably overrated Boomer chestnut LA Woman, makes me question one's musical wits.

My post was tongue-in-cheek. I hoped obviously, by virtue of the emoji deployed and the next paragraph (not in your quote) where I say that In matters of taste, there can be no disputes. My comment that you should enjoy what you enjoy was entirely serious, however. I think @AdamG's 'flying out the window post' was also humour, not to be taken too seriously. I'll discuss the Portishead thing further in the other thread.

Of course I am actually in the camp that can't listen to Gabriel for long. My dad has played Genesis to help educate me—and I can see that is historically interesting—but I haven't liked or seen the merit in his solo material personally. Apart from a collab with Laurie Anderson, which he didn't actually spoil. Perhaps my own taste filtered through and coloured the tenor of my post too much. :)

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
@AdamG's 'flying out the window post' was also humour
It was intended to be funny and apparently it landed bad. I grew up listening to him and bought several of his albums. His new stuff is fine. Not my cup of tea now as my tastes have changed.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It was intended to be funny and apparently it landed bad. I grew up listening to him and bought several of his albums. His new stuff is fine. Not my cup of tea now as my tastes have changed.
What... You like Brussels Sprouts now, too, presumably? (But only if they're fresh, not canned!)
:p

Axo1989

Major Contributor

I think humour is ok in these threads, and I actually enjoyed that one. Of course, when I post examples or references to music I like, I'm aware that it will send some running for the hills. It's the nature of musical taste (and taste generally, and probably my taste in particular). So if I get some tongue-in-cheek blowback, that's fine too. Brussel sprouts are a big ask though.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My post was tongue-in-cheek. I hoped obviously, by virtue of the emoji deployed and the next paragraph (not in your quote) where I say that In matters of taste, there can be no disputes. My comment that you should enjoy what you enjoy was entirely serious, however. I think @AdamG's 'flying out the window post' was also humour, not to be taken too seriously. I'll discuss the Portishead thing further in the other thread.

Oh please god no.

I shouldn't have written 'employed a dated production fad', I should have written 'was at the forefront of what became a production fad for distressed vinyl sound that now, like all fads, sounds very 'of its time''

K?

Hey, I still play Loser, too.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Oh please god no.

I shouldn't have written 'employed a dated production fad', I should have written 'was at the forefront of what became a production fad for distressed vinyl sound that now, like all fads, sounds very 'of its time''

K?

Hey, I still play Loser, too.

Ok, not sure I see the need for the aggro. And that wasn't my point there either. You may have to explain the 'loser' reference, you've lost me there. Or not, if you are just feeling pissy in general. :rolleyes::)

Edit: ahh Beck, maybe ...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I still remember when Up came out... 22 years ago! With the exception of "Barry Williams" I loved the whole album. Probably wouldn't have minded that cut if it wasn't the single every radio station jammed down our ear holes! ;)

Admittedly, I started seeing press for I/O so long ago that I had completely forgotten about it, even after it actually finally dropped for realsies. I'll check it out soon!

Always been a fan, not of everything he's done, but so much good music over the years.... Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack still gets air time around here! More telling is some of his songs do have a timeless quality to them that much in Pop does not; they can still sound fresh today.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
What... You like Brussels Sprouts now, too, presumably? (But only if they're fresh, not canned!)
:p
I like them only when cooker cut in half and browned on the grill. Otherwise no thanks.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, not sure I see the need for the aggro. And that wasn't my point there either. You may have to explain the 'loser' reference, you've lost me there. Or not, if you are just feeling pissy in general. :rolleyes::)

Edit: ahh Beck, maybe ...

Beck's Loser, from the same year as Dummy, also featured some 'lo fi' tracks, though more polished than his monumentally grubby (and still funny) Stereopathetic Soul Manure

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Beck's Loser, from the same year as Dummy, also featured lots of 'lo fi' tracks.

Yep thanks, I've actually never listened to Beck (heard of, of course). I'll remedy that.

Edit: ok I have heard that track, people must still play it, I didn't like it as it happens, but see below ...

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Since everyone is making their thread jokes clear, I do not in fact enjoy cat piss

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep thanks, I've actually never listened to Beck (heard of, of course). I'll remedy that.
Another artist who's travelled far and wide on his musical journey. Like Peter Gabriel.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I skipped ahead to the Dark mixes. Digging it all so far 4 tracks in. As long as I don't get a Shock the Monkey track ahead of me I'll keep listening for a while. Was never huge into Genesis (despise Phil Collins) but always enjoyed most of PG's solo work and collaborations.

I'll reserve my vote for later after more listening.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
¡Odelay, cabron!
o_O

Flashback too many years to consuming some liquid substance from a breath freshener squeeze bottle and listening to Mutant. Arguably a few too many times. One or the other... Oof. That was a looong time ago.

Did I just type that out loud?

:oops:

BTW, cat piss has its place just like so many things in the world. :p

I like them only when cooker cut in half and browned on the grill. Otherwise no thanks.
And fresh Brussels are great. Cut in half and hard roasted is among the best preparations. Sliced and pan "braised" with Onion, Garlic and Lardons... Mmmm... *drools

Axo1989

Major Contributor
¡Odelay, cabron!
o_O

Flashback too many years to consuming some liquid substance from a breath freshener squeeze bottle and listening to Mutant. Arguably a few too many times. One or the other... Oof. That was a looong time ago.

Did I just type that out loud?

:oops:

BTW, cat piss has its place just like so many things in the world. :p

And fresh Brussels are great. Cut in half and hard roasted is among the best preparations. Sliced and pan "braised" with Onion, Garlic and Lardons... Mmmm... *drools

Crikey, Beck and Brussels, I'll have to try that too. And we are only in the Bs ... knew I should stop reading ASR.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I skipped ahead to the Dark mixes. Digging it all so far 4 tracks in. As long as I don't get a Shock the Monkey track ahead of me I'll keep listening for a while. Was never huge into Genesis (despise Phil Collins) but always enjoyed most of PG's solo work and collaborations.
The Genesis that Phil Collins played brilliantly with (and eventually fronted) in the 1970s was hardly the Genesis that he fronted in the 1980s.

The former should not be tarred with the lameness of the latter.

Top Bottom