• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

On Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O", which mix do you prefer?

• Bright-Side Mix

• Dark-Side Mix

• (neither)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavidShe

"I/O" is Peter Gabriel's 10th album, released in December 2023. I/O features 12 tracks, each with two different mixes labeled the "Bright-Side Mix" and "Dark-Side Mix". Which mix do you prefer and why?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Been enjoying the album since it came out. Definitely prefer the "dark side" mix. Difference is more clear when I am streaming the original than in the youtube but even there, I prefer the same mix. Dark side has much richer high frequency spectrum and as a result, wider soundstage. The Bright-side sounds distinctly lo-fi to me.

steve59

Major Contributor
I listened to the bright side and got 3-4 tracks into dark side before getting interrupted. I think i'm going to set roon to shuffle and note my preferences and when finished compare my notes to the history and see if I have a consistent preference or if the material picks my favorite. I would hope the actual songs would pick the light they sound better cast in unless, PG isn't the artist he once was. The other option being my room and system favors one sound over the other?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My friend prefers the multi channel mix in Bluray. I listened a few minutes and it was OK for me.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PG is a curious case. I was a huge fan from his Genesis days through So. I was *this far* from him when he walked on our table at the Bottom Line in NYC during his PG II tour (attending both early and late shows!). Stuck with him through the great experiments of the self-titled series and then the big commercial breakthrough of So. Bought Us and Ovo and even Up when that finally emerged after how many years....with ever decreasing musical dividends (great live shows though). And watched as his cultural and critical cachet diminished to a wisp of what it was. Peter just takes too damn long to produce work, and since So it's kinda samey and dare I say boring when he does.

So now I find myself hardly caring that he has a new one. My fandom for him just ran out of steam, you might say.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listened to bright-side via Apple Music. Seemed like pretty standard fare for his later career work. I liked for the most part except for the horns which I thought sounded very synthetic (may because they are?). Apple Music stopped playing after the first set and needed a break, so have not listened to dark-side as yet. Have house guests for the weekend so will have to wait.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you were to go with Spotify play counts, then the answer would be depends on the song.

Unless it is some sort for Disc 1 bias, looks like Bright Side mixes are more preferred for most songs, except for "The Court" and "Playing For Time"

1706371687410.png
1706371739848.png

This brings me back to a thought I've had a lot lately - how far are we from having access to creating our own mixes. Lets say I have a particular "sound" I prefer - imagine a scenario where our audio rendering tools can adapt for that preferred mix for "my sound". Imagine having that kind of access to the music and having the chance to challenge (and improve?) the decisions of the artist. That said a "house mix" would probably be the most popular option for most folks, but in this community, I wonder .....

Tre2023

I liked it and picked up the multi disc set for the blu-ray Dolby Atmos/TrueHD version.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent acquisition. I like the In-Side mix, but I've only played that on the bluray so far, I bought it mainly for the multich.

ps played wit5h the other sound modes while playing it just now, I do prefer the In-Side mix, nice if that were an option in the poll (doesn't seem right to say neither for the other two).

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno, seems fairly consistent....but if you're not a fan....or are still upset that he left Genesis (I have such a friend, couldn't make that up). Truly one of the nicest people I ever met in that business (did some work for him) so I'm a bit of a fan. I don't see problems with this album any more than any of his myself, but I do generally like them.

Top Bottom