• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

On Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O", which mix do you prefer?

• Bright-Side Mix

• Dark-Side Mix

• (neither)

Results are only viewable after voting.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup, and that's not even room correction: it's simply calibrating the channels properly for distance and level at the MLP. Essential before adding 'room EQ' on top.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yup, and that's not even room correction: it's simply calibrating the channels properly for distance and level at the MLP. Essential before adding 'room EQ' on top.
True, but even today, DRC eq is most often only being used in the bass range, not full range.
That gets argued ad-infinitum. LOL

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but even today, DRC eq is most often only being used in the bass range, not full range.

I seriously doubt that. None of the Audyssey-using AVRs I know of, for example, allow restriction to the bass range unless you use one of the apps. That requires a whole 'nother level of commitment and nerdery.

I suspect most users of DRC in their AVRs simply follow the AVR's user manual instructions and let it rip full range.

Anyway my point was that distance/level calibration is prior to and independent of room EQ. It's useful and critical in and of itself.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I suspect most users of DRC in their AVRs simply follow the AVR's user manual instructions and let it rip full range.
Your right there, I was mainly thinking about the more advanced user that post to this site and others about the need to restrict to bass range. Not that I agree with that completely either. DRC becomes ever more sophisticated each year and IMHO more capable of doing positive things in the midrange.

Anyway my point was that distance/level calibration is prior to and independent of room EQ. It's useful and critical in and of itself.
Absolutely! Who would even think of running stereo without the speakers properly positioned to be equal distant to the MLP and levels balanced L & R? With multich its 10x more critical.

Top Bottom