• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Desktop speakers 2-2.5k: anything better than Kef R3?

dwkdnvr

Short Version: Considering new speakers for my desktop. I have a Neurochrome amp to use in the system (either Mod-86 or Parallel-86 depending on how the living room system design pans out) and so am inclined to go passive rather than powered monitors. I'm leaning towards the Kef R3, but am interested in other suggestions in the same price range (say 2.5k $USD per pair at the upper limit). My desk is fairly large, and I can absorb as tall a speaker as needed, with limits of 10-11" wide and maybe 13-14" deep.

Longer version: I've been a mostly-DIYer on the audio front - never being able/willing to afford the level of gear that I want so I always end up with projects to get what I want. So, I've been engaged in a project for my desktop speakers using the Kef Q150, with the plan to use a PC-based DSP-xover to high-pass them at 2-400Hz and use dedicated woofers to fill in below (making it a 3-way rather than a 2-way with subs). I actually have the signal chain mostly working for ripped content, but haven't started on the custom cabinet with a tapered mid chamber to absorb the back wave and still have to figure out handling of external sources.

Now I'm facing spending the fall on a kitchen renovation, and still have a backlog of camper van work for the winter/spring so I'm staring at the reality that significant work on the speakers is quite a ways out, and it's clear that I've violated the prime directive of (mature) diy - "never make a primary system a project, since it generally won't be working for long stretches". So, for the first time in a while I'm contemplating just shelling out for something other than budget audio gear. Since my DIY project is basically a poor-man's R3, and the R3 has gotten great reviews I'm pretty close to just getting a pair. I thought I'd solicit opinions before committing, though.

The presence of the Neurochrome amp complicates things a bit. Normally, powered monitors would be the suggestion for the desktop. Something like the KH-120 is definitely attractive, but would need a sub, and integrating a sub is basically the problem that pushed my project onto the back-burner in the first place - if I was content with ~50Hz response, I'd just limp along with the Q150s (which actually are quite good) until I can get back to the project. From what I can tell, there isn't a monitor at that level of the KH120 that will do an honest 40Hz without augmentation that's in my price range (although I guess it's a bit of a question whether the R3 will deliver an honest 40Hz either)

thanks for reading (if you got this far) and any opinions/suggestions are appreciated

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You could get get a cheapish JBL 306p or 308p and integrate with JBL LSR 310S subwoofer.

The subwoofer actually works as a crossover for the system, so no additional implementations required. Unless I missed something but its just your DAC out via XLR into the JBL Sub and then split out from there to the left and right channels of the JBL speakers.

So very neat, and straightforward integration.

Everything in, sub US$1k.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using JBL 305P's with a sub. I have the bass set for -3 db on the JBL's. The volume on the sub is set higher than it would be if I had a high pass on the JBL's. So, I EQ the bass down a lot to get it where it should be with the side effect being a lot less low frequency energy going to the mains.

I believe Adam sells a pair of a7x's with a sub which also has a built in high pass for $2500. Check it at Sweetwater.

The LS50W has built in sub integration.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From my experience you're gimping your speakers by putting them on a large flat surface. I think passive hifi speakers sound better on stands and placed at least 8 or 9 feet apart. I'm not sure what active monitors do to fix the issues that I have with passive speakers on desks, if at all, but I always found my KEF LS50 sounded more natural on stands as opposed to on a desk. I figured it had something to do with the woofer being on the desk surface, and the midbass frequencies bouncing off the surface. Sure it sounds nice, but it sounds heck of a lot better on stands.

As for that 40hz extension being 'honest' I think by 40hz it will be rolled down -3 or -4db. Again, from my experience, anything under 80hz on a 5 or even 8 inch driver pales in comparison to the scale and impact a larger 15" woofer will provide. It's physics, after all. You just can't get true performance with such a small cabinet, and pushing those 5" drivers to anywhere near reference levels (even peaks) you'll hear distortion.

Best off crossing over to a subwoofer or forgetting about 'honest' representation of bass frequences 40hz and under with the KEF R3.

Top Bottom