• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pass Labs.

Nameless

Not wanting to start a new thread, so I'm going to drop the question here. Do these Gryphon specs sound good?

Gryphon Mephisto, amplificatore stereofonico in pura Classe A

Potenza: 2 x 175 watt su 8 ohm, 2 x 350 watt su 4 ohm, 2 x 700 watt su 2 ohm.
Retroazione negativa nulla.
Banco di condensatori da 500.000 microFarad.
Configurazione puro dual mono.
Separazione dei canali infinita.
Rapporto segnale rumore 20 Hz - 20 kHz < -80 dB.
Rapporto segnale rumore A < -83 dB.

Gamma dinamica: 111 dB.
Distorsione (THD+N): < 1% @ 175 W, < 0,06% @ 50 W.
Sensibilità di ingresso: 1,055 V.
Guadagno: +31 dB, banda (-3 dB): 0-400 kHz.
Impedenza d'ingresso: 20 kOhm.
Impedenza d'uscita: < 0,025 Ohm.
Dimensioni (LxAxP): 52x34x71 cm.
Peso: 108 kg.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I truly thank everyone for there opinions and suggestions, also I apologize to you Gorganzola my bad your right there`s know XP350 its the Pass X350. I`ve been an audiophile enthusiast since 1974; I`m also an ex musician. May 3, 2021 became 75 years young I`m noticing I`m starting to have hearing issues, not very serious but its apparent. I`m not technically astute when it comes to technical measurements and the meaning of the findings; but there is one thing I do know what a woodwind, brass, reed, string instrument should sound like especially the piano know speaker I`ve had the pleasure of listening to can reproduce like my 3.6 Maggies; that being said Pass delivers exactly what I want to hear, now as far as the 1% 40db distortion at my age I cant hear it away. w1000i thank you for your input I will research Purifi. best regards enjoy your audiophile journey.
Msheridanjj, I'm more than a little envious of you XP30 + X350 system and I have no doubt is sounds darned good. For years I listened to Maggie MG 1.6QR's powered by various amps including a Pass X150.5. I'm 76 y/o myself and stone deaf above 10 kHz but can nevertheless hear (or, if you prefer, I imagine I hear), differences between amplifiers. I have moved on from both my Maggies and my Pass amp but I am not demeaning either of the these components that gave me years of enjoyment.

I'll reiterate explicitly what I implied earlier in this threat. Based on my own experience, Nelson Pass makes great sounding amps. Also, lots of people feel his designs hit the nail on the head for compromised between smoothness with a touch of warmth on the one hand, and analytic transparency and dynamics on the other. However personal preference are all over the map: some people lean to smoother side with maybe a dowse of the 'holographic' imaging associated with tubes; other people want the maximum of resolution and brilliant dynamics.

Amps like the Purifi satisfy the latter group of listeners but the former on the other end of the spectrum are definitely not going to like it. A person to make his/her own, personal decisions on their preference -- and his/her preference may also change over time.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Msheridanjj, I'm more than a little envious of you XP30 + X350 system and I have no doubt is sounds darned good. For years I listened to Maggie MG 1.6QR's powered by various amps including a Pass X150.5. I'm 76 y/o myself and stone deaf above 10 kHz but can nevertheless hear (or, if you prefer, I imagine I hear), differences between amplifiers. I have moved on from both my Maggies and my Pass amp but I am not demeaning either of the these components that gave me years of enjoyment.

I'll reiterate explicitly what I implied earlier in this threat. Based on my own experience, Nelson Pass makes great sounding amps. Also, lots of people feel his designs hit the nail on the head for compromised between smoothness with a touch of warmth on the one hand, and analytic transparency and dynamics on the other. However personal preference are all over the map: some people lean to smoother side with maybe a dowse of the 'holographic' imaging associated with tubes; other people want the maximum of resolution and brilliant dynamics.

Amps like the Purifi satisfy the latter group of listeners but the former on the other end of the spectrum are definitely not going to like it. A person to make his/her own, personal decisions on their preference -- and his/her preference may also change over time.
Right here is the sort of thing that lack of basic controls in listening tests leads to. It’s embarrassing.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP mentions an XP350 power amp but I think that's a typo since there is no such amp.

I've owned a Pass Labs X150.5 and also a VTV stereo Purifi with VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps. They sound different.

The X150.5 is a very pleasant sounding amp and does everything in a very pleasing manner. OTOH the Purifi is better resolved, more transparent, and has much crisper dynamics and bass.

Years ago I compared some Crown XLS 402D monoblocked vs some $12,000 worth of Pass Labs gear on some power hungry maggies.

The Crowns were hands down favored.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but did you have basic controls in your listening test??

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Uh huh.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Years ago I compared some Crown XLS 402D monoblocked vs some $12,000 worth of Pass Labs gear on some power hungry maggies.

The Crowns were hands down favored.
Interesting. In what respects did you find the Crown amps preferable? Are you admitting that you heard differences? If so you are obviously exposing yourself to ridicule on this forum.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Are you admitting that you heard differences? If so you are obviously exposing yourself to ridicule on this forum.

Not if he used basic controls. That's what gets observations credibility and respect.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the Pas Labs XP30 Preamp XP350 Power amp. and Maggies 3.6`s. Amir made a statement on HionHifi That Pass was a distortion factory could anyone elaborate on this claim starting with my gear the amps? thanks
Nelson Pass in countless interviews has stated that distortion is not bad as long as you know what to do with it - he "voices" his amplifiers to have the right amount of distortion, especially in his line of First Watt amplifiers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nelson Pass in countless interviews has stated that distortion is not bad as long as you know what to do with it - he "voices" his amplifiers to have the right amount of distortion, especially in his line of First Watt amplifiers.

Nelson is a skilled marketer. "Voices," uhhhhh, right.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nelson is a skilled marketer. "Voices," uhhhhh, right.
The man knows his market and has a near universal cult following. Walk into an audiophile meetup, say you have Pass amps, and everyone will nod knowingly in approval.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The man knows his market and has a near universal cult following. Walk into an audiophile meetup, say you have Pass amps, and everyone will nod knowingly in approval.

Absolutely. And he is an extremely genial and generous guy. I have zero negative to say about Nelson as a person.

I don't believe the marketing. :D

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. In what respects did you find the Crown amps preferable? Are you admitting that you heard differences? If so you are obviously exposing yourself to ridicule on this forum.

No, I'm admitting that for $1000 the 402D's did just as a good of a job as $12K.

The preference was for saved money. That's what was preferable. I'm not sure why people think there are only a few golden child engineers and all others ride a short yellow bus to work.

The amps were 1Khz level matched with an SPL meter.

OP
M

Msheridanjj

Once again I thank everyone for there input there opinions and valuable wisdom concerning this awesome ridiculous at times but wonderful hobby. My testimony without regret is that I am a cult member of the Pass and Maggie diehards. I realize ASA members like Gorganzola with his infinite wisdom care to differ. However, I have not arrive to the point of ever in my remaining days here on earth ever owning or wanting to listen to a box speaker. Maggies I live Maggies I die. IMHO regardless of how great Purifi may be and I don`t doubt that they are very good sounding amps I seriously doubt 227 watts per side will have the intestinal fortitude to push my 3.6 Maggies or when I can afford to upgrade to the 20.7`s that perform so outrageously as they do Purifi will not surfice. Jinjuku member of ASA you spoke of Crown amps. the only thing that I would own Crown would be my Crown 1/2 track and 1/4 track 800 series reel to reels they are BEAST with out a shadow of a doubt; the recording reproduction is BEASTLY. Best regards to everyone in there Audiophile and Audio enthusiast journey

OP
M

Msheridanjj

No, I'm admitting that for $1000 the 402D's did just as a good of a job as $12K.

The preference was for saved money. That's what was preferable. I'm not sure why people think there are only a few golden child engineers and all others ride a short yellow bus to work.

My friend the only thing I would own Crown Is my 1/2 track and 1/4 800 series reel to reels. They are BEAST!!

OP
M

Msheridanjj

Gorganzola I appreciate your infinite wisdom I really wish you had invested in the bigger Maggies perhaps you would`nt have be trade us:facepalm::D we the cult forgive you. I admire your intelligent threads. Best,regards

OP
M

Msheridanjj

Once again I thank everyone for there input there opinions and valuable wisdom concerning this awesome ridiculous at times but wonderful hobby. My testimony without regret is that I am a cult member of the Pass and Maggie diehards. I realize ASA members like Gorganzola with his infinite wisdom care to differ. However, I have not arrive to the point of ever in my remaining days here on earth ever owning or wanting to listen to a box speaker. Maggies I live Maggies I die. IMHO regardless of how great Purifi may be and I don`t doubt that they are very good sounding amps I seriously doubt 227 watts per side will have the intestinal fortitude to push my 3.6 Maggies or when I can afford to upgrade to the 20.7`s that perform so outrageously as they do Purifi will not surfice. Jinjuku member of ASA you spoke of Crown amps. the only thing that I would own Crown would be my Crown 1/2 track and 1/4 track 800 series reel to reels they are BEAST with out a shadow of a doubt; the recording reproduction is BEASTLY. Best regards to everyone in there Audiophile and Audio enthusiast journey
Pardon me ASR members not ASA:facepalm:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My friend the only thing I would own Crown Is my 1/2 track and 1/4 800 series reel to reels. They are BEAST!!

Crown has been in the business a long time and pioneered and created many of the technologies in use today for many audio applications.

In addition to owning Crown I've owned: Adcom, Hafler, Parasound, Accuphase, Carver.

Bottom line is you could take a $30K budget and blow ~1/2 on amplification, another 1/4 on a source, 1/4 on cabling and with the rest speakers. I will take that same $30K spend 1/50th on amp, 1/50th on a source and 1/100 on cabling and dominate.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In disputably the Crown amps would be the better value. "Pro" amps are made for very value conscious buyers who also require considerable robustness in their equipment.

Currently I'm using a Purifi amp that replaced my previous Pass amp. Valuewise it too handily beats Pass lab amps; (Pass X150.5 was $5500 whereas a Purifi Eval 1 amp can be had for $1000). I also like it better an account of the qualities where it is also, (to my ear), significantly superior to the Pass. I have Amir's ASR reviews to putting me on the Purifi amps -- unlike many hardcore subjectivists, I don't despise measurements.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In disputably the Crown amps would be the better value. "Pro" amps are made for very value conscious buyers who also require considerable robustness in their equipment.

It doesn't hurt either that the SQ performance is there. I purchased the 402D's on a lark since they were $200 a pop on close out. I had Parasound HCA 1500A's at the time and when I swapped out for the 402D's the tweeters no longer had any hissing.

Top Bottom