• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound HCA-2003A amp problem

BruceD

I have a Parasound HCA-2003A High-Current amplifier (3 channel) driving Dynaudio Contour 2.8 towers (L-channel#1 & R-channel#3) and a Contour center (channel#2).

Lately when listening to CD PCM output through the Proceed AVP2 prepro, I get a red current "Overload" message on the status screen of the HCA-20003A (for output #2 center channel).

Even with this message displayed, the stereo sound from both L&R speakers is not affected at all.

Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour ?

Thoughts about how to diagnose or identify the problem ?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Since your center channel speaker is 6 ohms impedance and your L/R towers are 4 ohms impedance, I would expect the channel driving your center channel speaker would be the last one to indicate an "Overload" message. I do believe that your Parasound amp has the same specs on all three channels.
Have you tried to switch your speakers/channels around to see if the "Overload" message follows your center channel speaker ?

OP
B

BruceD

Thanks Jay,

I did switch center channel speaker leads to Channel#1 output, with no input or output connected to channel#2 and ended up with the Overload light on channel#2 again.

In both example cases I'm feeding a PCM 2-channel signal to the amp, so center channel#2 really has no input. Also, this amp has volume pots on each channel and the volume pot for channel#2 was turned all the way down for both examples.

I'm listening to music below 80db on my radioshack analog sound meter, so should not even be close to pushing this amp into current overload. This amp has been working fine with the same CD player, prepro and speakers for at least 12 years.

OP
B

BruceD

The Proceed AVP2 Prepro supports a variety of output methodologies, including DD, DTS, etc as well as a really excellent 2-channel DAC. I use the center channel for watching movies and other DD, DTS sources.

What I was describing was the performance of the Parasound 3-channel amp while feeding it the output of the 2-channel DAC of the Proceed AVP2 Prepro decoding the PCM signal from the digital output of my CD player. This amp supplies 300WPC at 4 Ohms.

So to clarify, when listening to 2-channewl stereo, it didn't matter if I had a an analog output cable to the center channel of the amp from the Prepro or a center channel speaker connected to the amp or the volume pot of the amps center channel turned all the way down, or nothing connected to the amps center channel connections at all, I still get the current "OVERLOAD" on the #2 center channel. The overload message doesn't pop up immediately, but typically within 20 minutes.

I'm a bit worried about continuing to use it as I don't want to destroy any speakers.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Because of the various conditions under which you have tested the center channel and the fact that it always displays the OVERLOAD message, I would get to a reputable repair shop.

OP
B

BruceD

That's the question, a reputable repair shop. I'm in the Lansing Michigan area (new to Michigan) and have no references for repair facilities.

Can anybody provide any guidance ?

Top Bottom