• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Overall Best Bang for Bucks Amp under 1000 ?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of these cheap Chinese chip amplifiers sound crude and I don't think they hold up to something from Rega, Audiolab, CA etc.

They may look 'reasonable' on a graph but when it comes to playing music ...

Having said that, I still have a Topping MX3 which was a quick in-between solution. Once I added a tube buffer and swapped for some Mullard's it sounded perfectly acceptable (I think the MX3 measures cr*** ... perhaps that's why). Musical but still not Hifi.

Measurements matter.
"Once I added a tube buffer and swapped some Mullards..."

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"For an amp. power is everything":p
A class D power amp from Buckeye or a Yamaha RN-803 will provide decent power output @ 100W+/ch and value. Those other low output amps with big aspirations are just low power output amps with a bloated persona and there won't be a difference in sound @ lower output levels other than one's imagination.
yamaha rn-803.png

Yamaha R-N803 - 2.jpg

Yamaha R-N803 - 3.jpg

Yamaha R-N803 - 4.jpg

OP
L

Listener_

First of all, thank you to everyone who took the time to respond! It's a pleasure to read you.

Considering all the recommendations, this is what i might be going with (since it allows me to save some extra money) :

Chromecast Audio > Audiophonics MPA-S125NC > Speakers
Or
Chromecast Audio > DAC > Audiophonics MPA-S125NC > Speakers

My question is will an external dac really brings a step up in the final result (so by bypassing CCA's AKM AK4430 dac).
Let me add that my main use is going to be Tidal Hifi.
If yes, which product since I'm lost between Loxjie, Topping and Smsl ? (Su-8, D30...)

When it comes to second hand products, my research did not yield anything conclusive.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, thank you to everyone who took the time to respond! It's a pleasure to read you.

Considering all the recommendations, this is what i might be going with (since it allows me to save some extra money) :

Or

My question is will an external dac really brings a step up in the final result (so by bypassing CCA's AKM AK4430 dac).
If yes, which product since I'm lost between Loxjie, Topping and Smsl ? (Su-8, D30...)

When it comes to second hand products, my research did not yield anything conclusive.
Some EQ would be very handy and make a huge improvement.

Xombul

Forum Donor
A good DAC (topping, smsl, etc.) is going to significantly improve the sound as the Chromecast DAC is average. It will give you more flexibility (remote control, USB input, BT etc.). IMO a Balanced DAC is a plus.
Agree with Doodski, the next step is system EQ and room correction: you are now on a slippery slope;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I can also make some recomandations, I trust you won't fine sonic any improvement over your current Yamaha. Been there, done that, repeatedly.
I retailed audio gear for 9 years and we had a sound room with ~30-40 amps and receivers in it with about the same amount of speakers all on a switchbox. I could switch between amps and other than cheap STK amps and the 35-40 watters compared to 120 watters there was no difference in sound until the volume was turned up or the bass was enhanced.

UniPolar

Based on my experience ( and many others ), picking equipment can be a daunting task.
And sifting through all the recommendations is, well, sometimes very tiring.

As for your Q below, may I suggest the KISS method. Use the simplest audio chain with the least amount of components required..

I'd venture to guess that within a few months, you will repeat this process over and over - always trying to 'improve' - until you reach a point of 'what I have is just plain good enough'.... ( PS don't sell your current Yamaha yet ! )

Welcome to the audio abyss !.

Or

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Power is not the be and end all. Synergy, a good room and personal preferences is where it's at.
I agree, FWIW -- but those are somewhat heretical sentiments 'round these parts. ;)

Reactions: RoA

Ata

Forum Donor

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will note that used power amps can be great value. I’ve (four times) obtained old Hafler and Adcom power amps at about $200 Canadian, with a cleanup and test they are like new performance. Paired with an e30 DAC it’s just great.

A used 555 (in good shape) with an e30 would be fantastic! I did something similar: CCA > Sanskrit II > used 200w Acurus. It's nice to have that power.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look for a used Linn Klout most run around 1K.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I retailed audio gear for 9 years and we had a sound room with ~30-40 amps and receivers in it with about the same amount of speakers all on a switchbox. I could switch between amps and other than cheap STK amps and the 35-40 watters compared to 120 watters there was no difference in sound until the volume was turned up or the bass was enhanced.

You can't possibly listen to anything 2.1 properly with more than one set of speakers in the room at a time. Were all the input gains matched? Not an optimal listening enviroment.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't possibly listen to anything 2.1 properly with more than one set of speakers in the room at a time. Were all the input gains matched? Not an optimal listening enviroment.
Why can't I test drive multiple speakers in a sound room? Of course the gain was matched as closely as possible.(not with a meter).

b4nt

Some people buy an AB class amp from the '90s, something like https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/ta-f505es.shtml, for example.

They will be 30 years old. I do not think this is an option, may fail or performances may not be that of the 90's if some components have aged out.

It may depend of the wattage really needed during listening sessions. I do not need much more than 2x20W. I recenlty went for not so expensive but clean 2x100 AB.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The inert drivers of the other speakers have a dramatic effect on the ones playing. This was proved in the 80's by Paul Barton PSB speakers in the National Research Institute in Canada.

All that said you can certainly do a rough pick and then listen in a single environment.

Plcamp

They will be 30 years old. I do not think this is an option, may fail or performances may not be that of the 90's if some components have aged out.

It may depend of the wattage really needed during listening sessions. I do not need much more than 2x20W. I recenlty went for not so expensive but clean 2x100 AB.

In my case I bought and restored two Adcom 535II’s. Not much was needed. Biggest issues were dirty pcb’s in the region of the servo opamp, and large gain mismatches on the input diffpair. Both easily fixed.

I tested every electrolytic, all were just fine on both amps. Only things bad were the led lamp holders (rusted).

In my Hafler 220, the bulk caps were high esr, that was all it needed aside from cleaning, and my Hafler xl280 needed nothing done.

This is an option for some.

Top Bottom