• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ820 for Elac Uni-Fi system?

SwedishChef

I really appreciate this site's measurement-based approach, and apparently positive community. I'm making some changes and am looking for some specific advice.

I'm lucky enough to be tweaking a secondary home theater set up in a 15' x 13' x 8' room that is unusual in that one "wall" is open to an adjoining room, so one of those dimension is somewhat arbitrary. I don't need to fill the adjoining area with sound, but obviously lacking a wall affects things, so I wanted to mention it. I will be using an existing Elac UniFi system with UF5, UB5, and UC5 speakers. (Inexpensive sub TBD, feel free to suggest.) I have tried the UniFi's out with various 2-channel amps and they seem to do much better with some decent amplification behind them. But because this is a secondary viewing area mostly using existing equipment, I'd like to keep costs low.

For a receiver I was considering the Onkyo TX-RZ820 which is currently available from a major online retailer for $399, which seems to be a 70% discount on MSRP since the new model is already out. I'd love to stay under $500 if I can get something that will do well with the Elacs. (And if I can't, I'd like to know now and what I might need to do, instead.) I'd also like to take advantage of a model closeout or November/Black Friday deal, but should mention that I am very hesitant to buy refurbished because I really don't enjoy dealing with testing/returns. (I've had too many weird problems of my own over the years like an old NAD sitting in my garage that has a channel cut out, but only after playing for about an hour... slow overheating or something.) The selection of the Onkyo brand is arbitrary - it just seems to be the biggest discount on a $1200-$1500 receiver, which seems to be where things start to get good (or should I say, "less bad," depending on your perspective).

If it helps, I like the sound of the UniFi speakers, and tend to like flat-measuring speakers in general. (I have some old Paradigm Studio Reference 20's that measure very flat over a wide frequency range which I like.) If you force me choose what side I like to err on, I prefer a neutral to slightly warm sound. I like detail, but not at the price of harsh or bright sound. I don't expect to ever take this system beyond 5.1.

I would welcome any advice or suggestions regarding the receiver (and/or cheap/deal subwoofer well under $500 - I don't plan to go SVS, etc. for this one). Thank you.

tusconboy

I have the Onkyo TX RZ 810. One model year prior. It sounds great for music in 2 channel and I especially like Dolby Surround for music. If you do use Dolby surround for music, you will need to go to the quick menu and change it to spread the sound across the front speakers. Makes a huge difference!!
I think you will be very happy with the receiver. I have had zero problems with mine. I have amps to the front LCR speakers connected to the preouts, and the receiver runs my surrounds just fine. The receiver does not get very hot.
Sound is great from my Revel Performa 3 speakers.

Top Bottom