• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On triple flange ear tips... ER4SR or ER4XR

marv

Hey, guys, im contemplating on getting ER4SR/XR as a replacement for my aging se535

The only thing holding me back is that many say, you must to use them with the triple flange ear tips to get the most out of them. im very worried about using triple flange ear as they can rupture your eardrum when pulled out too fast ( even if you are careful, accidents can happen). and my ears are sensitive to pressure ( when i travel by plane, i literally have to relieve pressure my blowing with my nose closed during flight as they really hurt).... I have no intentions of using the triple flanges for this reason.

can i still benefit from the ety sound quality even if i use foam tips? for example im planning on using them with shure olive eartips...

any inputs? especially for those who have ER4SR/XR

Note: between the SR and XR.. which one is closest to the sound signature of the K371? Does the SR really lack bass that much? i really want to audition these but i literally have no chance of doing so.. lastly are they an upgrade to SE535s? sound quality wise?

thank you very much for your help

Last edited:

highpurityusbcable

Is it necessary to torture yourself like this, especially if you are worried that much, instead of getting IEMs with more comfortable and easier fit? You can do much better in this price range these days.

OP
M

marv

im open to suggestions really... I was looking at Etys as they are recommended on ASR... any alternatives?

i would like to stick on this price range 300-400 USD

another model im looking at is the Moondrop Blessing 2

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I've used Etymotic triple flange tips for years and found them very comfortable for extended periods. However you've decided against.

I also have custom moulds and they are even more comfortable, so that's what I'd recommended.

Personally I find foam tips a PITA to insert and not as comfortable.

OP
M

marv

thanks for the input.. have you encountered any pain using triple flanges?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ER4SR doesn't lack bass. I would choose er4sr any day of the week.
For you blessing 2 is probably the better solution.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
thanks for the input.. have you encountered any pain using triple flanges?
Personally, no pain. Very extended use can get a little uncomfortable, but so would a foam tip. I find silicone custom moulds to be the most comfortable, I would highly recommend if you can be bothered with hassle and expense.

I like my ER4SR very much. If I had to have only one pair of headphones, I would probably choose them. ER2SE are good too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Etys need the full insertion to achieve proper FR. Its way deeper than foam tips on the Shure. I would look elsewhere given your issues and concerns

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I doubt Ety would be selling foam tips if they thought there was a problem with them. I suspect it's just that people find it easier to get a good seal and proper insertion with the 3 flange tips than foam unless they have a fair bit of experience inserting foam plugs.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
where would you recommend to have them made? im in europe though
I've always found Etymotic customer service very responsive, I'd check to see who they recommend in your country. Maybe discuss your concerns with the three flange tips and see if they recommend custom moulds given your situation.

jurop

Forum Donor
I had the same problem: to replace my ageing 11 yrs old Shure SE530. I tested the ER2SE, ER3XR and the ER4SR.
It took 20mins to cross off the ER2SE, since for my taste the SE530 was superior in almost every parameter.
Then I tried the ER3XR and, boys!, I've really been surprised by those. First impression, I preferred the SE530. I felt they had better coherence than the 3XR. But the ER3XR had cleaner bass and better trebles, perhaps a bit forward in comparison. The first listening session went on for at least one hour swapping IEMs with my favourite music, and it was difficult to stay concentrated on the differences since I caught myself more often than not listening to the music instead of critically testing the IEMs. A second and third session were needed. In the end, my feeling is that the 3XR has better bass, better highs - I still prefer SE530's mids but I must admit that the Shures are resting in their pouchette since then.
Then, I unboxed the ER4SR. This happened two weeks ago. The only thing I am confident to say until now is that they are not worth the premium against the 3XR. They are full of extras: a big carry case, better and less microphonic cable, bells and whistles. But the essence... well, the difference is very minuscule. I took two contests and I still have not decided what I'm going to keep - the other will go for sale on Ebay.
Gut feeling, for me the right choice would have been the ER4XR, since I'm using my IEM almost everywhere and I do not always have the chance to EQ. Also, the 3XR are slightly more efficient, which is always good when you are on the move and you need to have a quick skype call with whatever device you find. When EQ'ed, the ER4SR is probably something 'definitive' - in the sense that you do not need more 'fidelity'. Top notch IEMs: my reference is a custom molded Westone ES5 and they are currently sitting in their box. I am not saying that these are better than those. I am just saying that I do not feel the need to have something better than a pair of EQ'ed ER4SE inside my ear. Without EQ, I have to say it again, gut feeling says ER4XR would have been better for myself and my taste.
Forgot to mention, I use the Comply Tsx100 (I build a lot of earwax) as my eartips of choice, and I fitted new tips on both to give them a fair comparison. It's very likely these are going to tame the highs a bit.

OP
M

marv

I had the same problem: to replace my ageing 11 yrs old Shure SE530. I tested the ER2SE, ER3XR and the ER4SR.
It took 20mins to cross off the ER2SE, since for my taste the SE530 was superior in almost every parameter.
Then I tried the ER3XR and, boys!, I've really been surprised by those. First impression, I preferred the SE530. I felt they had better coherence than the 3XR. But the ER3XR had cleaner bass and better trebles, perhaps a bit forward in comparison. The first listening session went on for at least one hour swapping IEMs with my favourite music, and it was difficult to stay concentrated on the differences since I caught myself more often than not listening to the music instead of critically testing the IEMs. A second and third session were needed. In the end, my feeling is that the 3XR has better bass, better highs - I still prefer SE530's mids but I must admit that the Shures are resting in their pouchette since then.
Then, I unboxed the ER4SR. This happened two weeks ago. The only thing I am confident to say until now is that they are not worth the premium against the 3XR. They are full of extras: a big carry case, better and less microphonic cable, bells and whistles. But the essence... well, the difference is very minuscule. I took two contests and I still have not decided what I'm going to keep - the other will go for sale on Ebay.
Gut feeling, for me the right choice would have been the ER4XR, since I'm using my IEM almost everywhere and I do not always have the chance to EQ. Also, the 3XR are slightly more efficient, which is always good when you are on the move and you need to have a quick skype call with whatever device you find. When EQ'ed, the ER4SR is probably something 'definitive' - in the sense that you do not need more 'fidelity'. Top notch IEMs: my reference is a custom molded Westone ES5 and they are currently sitting in their box. I am not saying that these are better than those. I am just saying that I do not feel the need to have something better than a pair of EQ'ed ER4SE inside my ear. Without EQ, I have to say it again, gut feeling says ER4XR would have been better for myself and my taste.
Forgot to mention, I use the Comply Tsx100 (I build a lot of earwax) as my eartips of choice, and I fitted new tips on both to give them a fair comparison. It's very likely these are going to tame the highs a bit.
Thanks for the input

tonyo123

Get the Etys and use the foam tips. Best seal. Doesn't have the aggressive tip of the triple flange and the foam expands and the seal doesn't change with movement.

Top Bottom