• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
A very interesting and, depending on perspective, handsome design.
All wasted on a 1950s level of performance music reproduction system..
Kind of like a heavily chromed, perfectly painted and fitted Model T Ford.
It may be purdy, but why ??? LOL
359px-Ford_Model_T_1909_Serial337_LFront_Lake_Mirror_Cassic_16Oct2010_%2814854254936%29.jpg
True
But many audiophiles still believe Analog is superior to digital
I have no idea why

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
True
But many audiophiles still believe Analog is superior to digital
I have no idea why
They believe $300 - $5000 power cords are a good value too. :facepalm::p

egellings

Major Contributor
I have seen many of those idiots calling them "power CHORDS."

Perhaps that's why they're more musical...
At least the cords do something; they carry electricity to the equipment. My favorites are the 'footers' and the stones. Useless! Useless!

kelesh

At that price, it simply should have been a linear tracker to have any chance of even approaching correct playback. I could probably seek out a Neumann cutting lathe for much less and *that* is something I'd love to have. So, cheerfully refused, thank you :) Also, I'm sure it has been pointed out that the tone arm looks like a construction crane?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I do like the look of what seems to be a take-off of large magnum pistol or rifle cartridge cases inserted in the perimeter of the table and arm board, them showing off the empty the primer pockets. Pretty kool design idea. ;)

index.php

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do like the look of what seems to be a take-off of large magnum pistol or rifle cartridge cases inserted in the perimeter of the table and arm board, them showing off the empty the primer pockets. Pretty kool design idea. ;)

index.php
They're not cartridge cases, they're the anti-measurement explosive bolts. :cool:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The creators of this Oma turntable have made their living in a world of audiophilia-as-jewelry long enough to know that there are plenty of well-heeled hobbyists who happily breath in their own farts and who will pay exorbitant prices for these monstrosities, just like there are people who will pay huge for abstract art pieces or baubles made of gold and stones.
This is so funny to anyone with a clue since literally everyone involved in creation of K3 made their fortunes before doing anything audio related.

Anyway I find the whole debacle about digital perfection really silly. Is digital perfect? Yes, it's perfection is also irrelevant since it has to be converted into analog signal and then turned into sound waves by your very imperfect speakers and the sound will happily bounce around your very imperfect room. Imagine the horror of ASR members if they realized some powered studio monitors have amps inside with SINAD worse that this turntable.

Edit: Just additional food for thought, isn't it just ridiculously ironic that "Perfect Sound Forever" is now being outsold by obsolete 100+ year old tech?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Edit: Just additional food for thought, isn't it just ridiculously ironic that "Perfect Sound Forever" is now being outsold by obsolete 100+ year old tech?

It only proves how disconnected the audiophools of "high end" audio think.
All solid media is dead, the rest of the worlds population have moved on to streaming their digital entertainment.
rice krispies.jpeg

Ra1zel

It only proves how disconnected the audiophools of "high end" audio think.
All solid media is dead, the rest of the worlds population have moved on to streaming their digital entertainment.
View attachment 341932
I don't think those high-end audiophools care, just like people buying 1500hp hypercars don't care that by this definition hyper car industry is also dead, yet ever more luxurious ones are made every year.

CapMan

Major Contributor

index.php

index.php

Build it and they will come … I guess.

It’s a little like this £130k iPad - which we all know will not function any better than one costing a grand or less , but it exists and some fool will buy it.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is so funny to anyone with a clue since literally everyone involved in creation of K3 made their fortunes before doing anything audio related.

Anyway I find the whole debacle about digital perfection really silly. Is digital perfect? Yes, it's perfection is also irrelevant since it has to be converted into analog signal and then turned into sound waves by your very imperfect speakers and the sound will happily bounce around your very imperfect room. Imagine the horror of ASR members if they realized some powered studio monitors have amps inside with SINAD worse that this turntable.

It shows.
They clearly didn’t make any money understanding noise, vibration and transducer design, judging by this design.

OTOH It probably doesn’t matter since, as you write, we will be listening on speakers which is maybe the only reason record players don’t stick out like a sore thumb since even a modest well designed turntable has better performance than most speakers. (this thing is neither modest nor well designed as a transducer but probably good enough for 99.9+% of available recordings).

Because no sane person would release a recording that couldn’t be enjoyed on ear buds on a train, or a tiny smart speaker, their main market, All they need to do for their $360k is convince the technically illiterate rich person there is something special and hey presto - a sale - ker-ching it will play any recording the owner has well enough. Probably.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think those high-end audiophools care, just like people buying 1500hp hypercars don't care that by this definition hyper car industry is also dead, yet ever more luxurious ones are made every year.
The hypercar industry isn’t dead since it allows rich people to pose in public in towns.

The bonkers bit is that, usually, by the time you can afford a supercar you may well struggle to get in and out and it is lucky it is pretty well only used for low speed posing since nowhere in public is suitable to drive them near any of their limits, apart, perhaps for a 0-60 traffic light drag which requires zero skill if the launch control is easy to initiate.

CapMan

Major Contributor
The hypercar industry isn’t dead since it allows rich people to pose in public in towns.

The bonkers bit is that, usually, by the time you can afford a supercar you may well struggle to get in and out and it is lucky it is pretty well only used for low speed posing since nowhere in public is suitable to drive them near any of their limits, apart, perhaps for a 0-60 traffic light drag which requires zero skill if the launch control is easy to initiate.
Our Renault Zoe is a hypercar from about 0 to 15 mph which is good enough in most English towns :)

jsrtheta

Amazing to see the gymnastics some will go through to justify the indefensible.

But entirely predictable.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Oh I agree,, I'm just pointing out that "Perfect Sound Forever" is not being outsold by snap, crackle, and pop, that is an erroneous statement I hear being repeated over and over around here and elsewhere. Digital "PSF" listening has just been transferred to high resolution lossless streaming, and in pure numbers crushes vinyl's market by so large a margin it's not worth discussing. If you desire a toy to play with, vinyl rules by far. If you desire the very best in SOTA High Fidelity reproduction, "Perfect Sound Forever" is king. ;)
expense.jpg

Top Bottom