• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oil Change Intervals Objectively

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh God man, can't you take a little ball bustin humor.
I apologize if you were hurt. :facepalm:
Apparently they are not from your neck of the woods (or mine either). In both our areas, I believe that, while the styles are a bit different, ball bustin' humor is considered a high art form among the locals.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doodski, I had the same thing happen to me right after an oil change! My rock solid Suzuki B-King got all wobbly on me. So I pulled off the freeway into a McDonalds. I checked the oil filler plug and it was not there!!! The entire back of the bike, my Draggin Jeans pant leg, rear tire and rear brake pads were coated in fresh brand new Amsoil motorcycle oil. A huge mess. I had to wait 3 hours for a bike tow truck (in Florida) so of course, much McDonalds was eaten. But the end of the story was I was the one who changed the oil! I just plum forgot to put the cap back on after filling it. Luckily it only cost me about $400 total. The engine did not run out of oil or I would have destroyed the engine. I never ever forgot after that. Lesson learned.
I was doing a wheelie (that's what the spell check said) coming up my driveway (when I was 14, with my first bike, a Honda CL 175 & chain maintenance had not occurred to me).
While I had the front tire high in the air, the chain popped & wrapped itself around the rear sprocket, stopping the rear wheel. After that, I paid keen attention to anything that required lubrication & under what conditions it needed more than specified. Hot Rodding & racing (particularly if you work on your own stuff), is a great teacher of how to break stuff and how to make it work under stresses the factory never envisioned without it breaking. Lubrication and cooling (what needs it, how much does it need and how often does it need it) are two of the great "how to's" that keep things together in an orderly fashion.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly what I am about to say relates to large marine engines, which are a completely different animal and has little relevance to automotive engines but it may be of interest given the topic. In my younger days I sailed on a ship in which one of the major lubricating oil suppliers contributed to the cost of the main engine and auxiliary engines to use it as a floating test bed for research and development of new oils. The main engine had three separate cylinder oil systems (three groups of three cylinders with dedicated systems) and the sump system for the main engine could quickly be reconfigured to test new oils, different filters etc. Each of the auxiliary engines often operated on different oils. As one of the ship engineers (I was second, or first in the US system at the time) it was a pain in the behind as we had to pull pistons and liners, open up bearings etc almost every port to do measurement and inspection and the lube oil systems were horrendously complicated with all the different tanks etc. The oil company provided fitters to do a lot of the work but it still needed a lot of my time especially. However, long story, something that was very consistently demonstrated was that the important bit was viscosity and maintaining filter efficiency.
In text books and journal articles cylinder oil TBN is always presented as a major factor for piston rings and liners yet the tests showed no real correlation with varying TBN by ridiculous amounts and changing fuel sulphur content and liner wear. Similarly, all the various additives, detergents, anti-oxidants, stabilizing agents etc they add to oil showed no real correlation with/without in bearing condition. However, that didn't stop them marketing oils with various additives and planting papers in journals demonstrating the value of various additives. More than once I almost wrote to technical journals and my professional institute in protest at some claims they published but in the end decided my nicely paid job was worth more.
A few years later I was involved in similar tests working for a classification society and the results were consistent with my earlier experience, get viscosity right and keep oil in good condition (i.e. filters and purifiers).
Sorry for the diversion.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly what I am about to say relates to large marine engines, which are a completely different animal and has little relevance to automotive engines but it may be of interest given the topic. In my younger days I sailed on a ship in which one of the major lubricating oil suppliers contributed to the cost of the main engine and auxiliary engines to use it as a floating test bed for research and development of new oils. The main engine had three separate cylinder oil systems (three groups of three cylinders with dedicated systems) and the sump system for the main engine could quickly be reconfigured to test new oils, different filters etc. Each of the auxiliary engines often operated on different oils. As one of the ship engineers (I was second, or first in the US system at the time) it was a pain in the behind as we had to pull pistons and liners, open up bearings etc almost every port to do measurement and inspection and the lube oil systems were horrendously complicated with all the different tanks etc. The oil company provided fitters to do a lot of the work but it still needed a lot of my time especially. However, long story, something that was very consistently demonstrated was that the important bit was viscosity and maintaining filter efficiency.
In text books and journal articles cylinder oil TBN is always presented as a major factor for piston rings and liners yet the tests showed no real correlation with varying TBN by ridiculous amounts and changing fuel sulphur content and liner wear. Similarly, all the various additives, detergents, anti-oxidants, stabilizing agents etc they add to oil showed no real correlation with/without in bearing condition. However, that didn't stop them marketing oils with various additives and planting papers in journals demonstrating the value of various additives. More than once I almost wrote to technical journals and my professional institute in protest at some claims they published but in the end decided my nicely paid job was worth more.
A few years later I was involved in similar tests working for a classification society and the results were consistent with my earlier experience, get viscosity right and keep oil in good condition (i.e. filters and purifiers).
Sorry for the diversion.
So would you say if running synthetic oil, it might be okay to change the filter at 10,000 miles and oil and filter at 20,000 miles? With modern cars having the filter up top, and most in a way that contains any spillage changing filters is a snap.

BTW, in the car I purchased new and broke in carefully, I cut open a few of the filters. They never had much in them at 10,000 miles. My other cars purchased 2nd hand have been pretty clean, but somehow none ever seem as clean as that one new car I had. I wonder what the difference was?

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So would you say if running synthetic oil, it might be okay to change the filter at 10,000 miles and oil and filter at 20,000 miles? With modern cars having the filter up top, and most in a way that contains any spillage changing filters is a snap.

BTW, in the car I purchased new and broke in carefully, I cut open a few of the filters. They never had much in them at 10,000 miles. My other cars purchased 2nd hand have been pretty clean, but somehow none ever seem as clean as that one new car I had. I wonder what the difference was?

Automotive engines operate with extremely clean, high quality fuel which makes a big difference. I'd be amazed if 10,000 miles was too long for synthetic oil unless the engine is really worn out (in which case there's a bigger issue), most car manufacturers now (at least in the European market) recommend longer intervals, even with a less benign use case (lots of short journeys, start stop) the mileage tends to be well beyond 10,000. Filters are the same. So my gut feel is that your suggestion would be fine, but given the costs involved my advice would be to just follow the service guide or car system prompt. If you want to go against the service guide then really the only safe way to do it is by analysing the oil.

MRC01

Major Contributor

I cut open oil filters and inspect the media. Always with the airplane engine (Lycoming O-360), and with car engines back many years ago when I was into SCCA racing. The filter media always has some amount of metal in it. The difference between a healthy engine and one that is not, is how much metal, how big the pieces are, and what kind of metal (iron, chrome, aluminum, etc. - what part of the engine they're from). A healthy engine will have just a handful of tiny dust-sized pieces throughout the entire filter.

For a new engine's 1st oil change, expect to find more metal in the oil filter. In fact if you don't, you may need to operate the engine at 75% or higher power to seat the rings properly. This is also true of the first oil change for the transmission and differential - some metal will come out with the old oil - don't freak out about it.

Reactions: EJ3

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Despite being a mechanical engineer and car aficionado myself I find it more weird though how many people care and spend a lot more time, effort and money on their cars, oils, paint, service etc. then on their own health, food etc. I fully agree that humans can be quite irrational.
Good Gosh man! That describes me perfectly. I think I'm what is called a "Hot Mess". At least I admit it.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I was doing a wheelie (that's what the spell check said) coming up my driveway (when I was 14, with my first bike, a Honda CL 175 & chain maintenance had not occurred to me).
While I had the front tire high in the air, the chain popped & wrapped itself around the rear sprocket, stopping the rear wheel. ...
Decades ago I bought a 1978 Honda CB-550-K with about 30k on it and rode it another 60k before it died. I was going down the freeway around 70 mph when the bike suddenly jolted like I hit a bump and the engine suddenly revved up to redline even though I wasn't touching the clutch. The bike had no power like it was in neutral so I coasted to the emergency lane and stopped. The drive chain was missing and I saw it a few hundred yards up the road.

Turns out that engine was chain driven from crankshaft to clutch shaft, unlike the bigger 750cc that was gear driven. That internal primary drive chain had finally snapped, throwing bits of metal into the transmission, destroying it and locking up the rear wheel. Of course the engine still ran freely like it was in neutral after the chain broke. The rear wheel suddenly locked up and fortunately, those old wheels were heavy and the chains weren't strong. So instead of locking up, it instantly snapped the drive chain. Lucky me.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Decades ago I bought a 1978 Honda CB-500-K with about 30k on it and rode it another 60k before it died. I was going down the freeway around 70 mph when the bike suddenly jolted like I hit a bump and the engine suddenly revved up to redline even though I wasn't touching the clutch. The bike had no power like it was in neutral so I coasted to the emergency lane and stopped. The drive chain was missing and I saw it a few hundred yards up the road.

Turns out that engine was chain driven from crankshaft to clutch shaft, unlike the bigger 750cc that was gear driven. That internal primary drive chain had finally snapped, throwing bits of metal into the transmission, destroying it and locking up the rear wheel. Of course the engine still ran freely like it was in neutral after the chain broke. The rear wheel suddenly locked up and fortunately, those old wheels were heavy and the chains weren't strong. So instead of locking up, it instantly snapped the drive chain. Lucky me.
I had 2 550 K 's & a 750. I guess I didn't drive them far enough (even though for 3 years a 550 was my only transportation) for that to happen. Interesting drive train disconnect.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Decades ago I bought a 1978 Honda CB-550-K with about 30k on it and rode it another 60k before it died. I was going down the freeway around 70 mph when the bike suddenly jolted like I hit a bump and the engine suddenly revved up to redline even though I wasn't touching the clutch. The bike had no power like it was in neutral so I coasted to the emergency lane and stopped. The drive chain was missing and I saw it a few hundred yards up the road.

Whew! You are lucky. 70mph and a locked rear wheel would have been horrible. I once had a dog run into the front spokes when I was travelling about 20mph. The dog died and I went over the handlebars. I had little sympathy for the dog at the time. :D

captainbeefheart

So would you say if running synthetic oil, it might be okay to change the filter at 10,000 miles and oil and filter at 20,000 miles?

My friends foreign auto shop has a fleet contract and that's what they do. Some filters that aren't cellulose element design and use a high quality synthetic element claim they are good for 20k miles but we found that just using a regular wix filter at 10k and oil at 20k worked really good. It wasn't uncommon to see half a million miles on the engine. Disassembly of the engines were always extremely clean. All oil changes used the same oil, he had a 55 gallon drum of Mag1 synthetic blend that was I think $500, works out around $2/quart. It met ILSAC GF-5 which is all that was required and it proves you don't need to spend huge money on your oil to get high reliability.

Simple answer to anyone looking for oil is look in your manual for what specification rating needs to met, usually ILSAC, Dexos or API and get the cheapest stuff that meets that spec. Really nothing else matters.

To avoid jacking the car up twice you could just get a high quality synthetic filter and oil and just do both at 15k miles and I guarantee your engine will be fine. If under warranty I recommend following the manufacturers service intervals to avoid any issues. Once out of warranty do whatever you want.

The only real way to know for certain how far you can go while still maintaining oil quality is to send it out for analysis. Suck some out at 5k and see what the analysis says, move onto 7k, then 10k, etc... They make the reports very easy to read and have a little write up with their recommendations, for $30 I'm obsessed and the information is invaluable. They usually always state if they recommend going further between oil changes or the opposite less. If you are buying a used car I highly recommend sending the oil out to see what's going on.

Here is a sample report for people interested: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Understanding-Engine-combined.pdf

MRC01

Major Contributor
Simple answer to anyone looking for oil is look in your manual for what specification rating needs to met, usually ILSAC, Dexos or API and get the cheapest stuff that meets that spec. Really nothing else matters.
I agree. I've done UOA (used oil analysis) on cars I was racing, and expensive synthetic oil was indistinguishable from cheap mineral oil, when both were of the required viscosity and API rating. Synthetic oil has 2 potential advantages:
1. Flows better in extreme cold (below freezing temperatures).
2. May last longer before viscosity shears down, for extended drain intervals. Whether this is true depends on the oil and the engine.
Synthetic has 1 potential disadvantage (mentioned earlier):
A. It doesn't hold contaminants in suspension as well as mineral oil - not a factor for modern engines, but may be for older or air cooled engines.
Me? We don't get sub-freezing winters here so I use the cheapest mineral oil that meets the required specifications.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. I've done UOA (used oil analysis) on cars I was racing, and expensive synthetic oil was indistinguishable from cheap mineral oil, when both were of the required viscosity and API rating. Synthetic oil has 2 potential advantages:
2. May last longer before viscosity shears down, for extended drain intervals. Whether this is true depends on the oil and the engine.
A. It doesn't hold contaminants in suspension as well as mineral oil - not a factor for modern engines, but may be for older or air cooled engines.
Me? We don't get sub-freezing winters here so I use the cheapest mineral oil that meets the required specifications.
I think you missed one advantage. If you have a cooling issue and overheat the engine, synthetic oil will hold up better and your engine may not be ruined while dino oil will let it be ruined more easily. I'm not saying synthetic can run with no cooling, but in some edge cases it can make a difference.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I think you missed one advantage. If you have a cooling issue and overheat the engine, synthetic oil will hold up better and your engine may not be ruined while dino oil will let it be ruined more easily. I'm not saying synthetic can run with no cooling, but in some edge cases it can make a difference.
That's true in two ways: synthetic has a flatter viscosity vs. temp curve, so it retains more of its viscosity when hot. And it can handle higher temperatures before breaking down.
However, when using mineral oil in race cars, extended full throttle on tight courses in 1st and 2nd gear I'd get the engine so hot it got heat soaked, pulled boost & timing, lost half its power (did not blow the radiator or cooling system). UOA afterward didn't show the oil got cooked, viscosity loss, or any other issue. No excess metals in UOA or in the oil filter pleats. I suspect that the kind of high temperatures needed to break down mineral oil would only be reached under catastrophic overheat conditions.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A better way to state #1 is that synthetics allow you to formulate oils with a very wide viscosity range, like 0W40. Engines get better wear protection at start-up and in cold weather, yet retain high speed/high temp protection capabilities too. I've never seen a conventional oil with a rating of 0W40, which I've used in every car I've owned for many years now. Overall, however, I'll stick with my first post in this thread, which is that IMO, based on my oil testing data over the years, people worry way too much about engine oil. If you want something to worry about (don't laugh, lots of people like to fixate on things and worry), worry about your planetary gear automatic transmissions. I think the damned things are built to wear out.

captainbeefheart

Besides protection I think many folks don't understand that modern engines use oil for controlling the variable valve timing, timing chain tensioner, cylinder deactivation, etc...

Suspended solids and sludge are great for clogging the screens on the control solenoids. Also great for destroying phasers early. Same for cylinder deactivation, control solenoid screens clog up and stop functioning. Clog a lifter on the cylinder deactivation system and you got to pull the head off to replace. Heck the wrong weight/viscosity and the VVT system will start throwing codes or get cam/crank not in phase codes.

All one needs to do is use the correct oil type, keep it full, and service appropriately and all will be well.

$20/quart Royal purple engine oil is like using audiophile grade fuses.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Suspended solids and sludge are great for clogging the screens on the control solenoids. Also great for destroying phasers early. Same for cylinder deactivation, control solenoid screens clog up and stop functioning. Clog a lifter on the cylinder deactivation system and you got to pull the head off to replace. Heck the wrong weight/viscosity and the VVT system will start throwing codes or get cam/crank not in phase codes.
All one needs to do is use the correct oil type, keep it full, and service appropriately and all will be well. ...
Yep. That's what API standards are for (SP, SN, etc.). And ILSAC standards. And ACEA standards. And GL standards. etc. As engines become more demanding on oil, with cam chains, variable valve timing, extreme pressure lifters, or whatever, "there's a standard for that". Your engine manual will tell you what it is.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides protection I think many folks don't understand that modern engines use oil for controlling the variable valve timing, timing chain tensioner, cylinder deactivation, etc...

Suspended solids and sludge are great for clogging the screens on the control solenoids. Also great for destroying phasers early. Same for cylinder deactivation, control solenoid screens clog up and stop functioning. Clog a lifter on the cylinder deactivation system and you got to pull the head off to replace. Heck the wrong weight/viscosity and the VVT system will start throwing codes or get cam/crank not in phase codes.

All one needs to do is use the correct oil type, keep it full, and service appropriately and all will be well.

$20/quart Royal purple engine oil is like using audiophile grade fuses.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and VVT will likely cause an expensive repair due to iffy oil maintenance long before anything bad happens to the engine. Maybe even more so due to iffy filter maintenance. And yes those systems are picky about viscocity. I think some better engineering of those systems to lessen that aspect of them is something easily done, and I hope car makers do it. For one a few well placed, easily accesible screens or small filters you can change periodically makes lots of sense. Instead screens are left to run the life of the engine, and aren't something you can even check without considerable effort. Cam phasers could also be made so you don't have to tear so deeply into an engine to change them if they go bad. For older vehicles the cost of such repairs leaves you deciding whether to repair it or junk it.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For older vehicles the cost of such repairs leaves you deciding whether to repair it or junk it.
I'm finding that double-clutch manual transmissions are like this. I was talking to the dealer about changing the oil in the transmission, and they quote me a price of $1100. For a fluid change. So I start looking into it, and it is a pain in the neck, and just ordering a parts kit for the fluid change is about $180 from one of the internet companies who specialize in German cars, so perhaps my incredulity is slightly misplaced. Nonetheless, for $1100 I doubt very many non-technical people I know will spend that on a fluid & filter change for a transmission, and they'll just cross their fingers that nothing will break before they trade it in.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
... And yes those systems are picky about viscocity. ...
Don't forget that oil viscosity changes with temperature. A typical 0w20 oil has a viscosity around 35-50 cST at 40* C, and 8-9 cST at 100*C. That's a big range! Even bigger when you first start the engine, it's more like 10* C or less! Given how wide that range is, it's hard to imagine how the engine could be picky about viscosity.

Top Bottom