• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

hawk01

I’ve ordered them. Can’t wait really. The AZLA are so comfortable you almost forget they are there, but I lose the seal easily in my right ear and they are the small ones. The stock tips are better in that regard. Wish they had the comfort and the ’air’. I also tried the Moondrop memory foam but didn’t like them at all. They just put too much pressure on the ear canal. It is easy to get a good seal with them though...

I ordered the extra small because their diameter is about the same as the Etymotic double flange small which I find comfortable, easy to get a seal, and excellent sounding with my ER4XR.

FWIW, I haven’t found a tip that doesn’t fit well in my left ear. My right ear has always been tricky and I’ve even gotten pressure sores/an infection from trying to “tough it out” with IEMs in the past.
your “fit issues” may require trying out a different size tip on the right ear. IME going one size larger usually does the job instead of going smaller and forcing the whole thing deeper thinking it will help create that perfect seal. the perfect fit is actually very comforable and should not induce pressure or discomfort in the ear canal. think of the silicone tip much like an automobile tire, the IEM nozzle is the wheel suspended by the tire inside your ear canal. if you induce pressure than you get a flat tire, seal is broken! making any sense? i could not think of a better way to describe how i learned to tweak an IEM into place. HTH

RHO

Major Contributor
I've noticed with some IEMs that a bigger tip but a more shallow fit gives a better seal and better comfort than trying to get a good seal with a deep fit.

buz

Forum Donor
So where do I get replacement ear tips for the Blessing 2? Lost the original one in one ear, the Moondrop foam is horrible (sounds like a 1 USD IEM with them) and usual tips do not fit the wide stems.

I generally need large ones, would not mind dual flange (the original giant hifiman dual flange was genius for one)...

RHO

Major Contributor
You could try Spinfits cp155. Works great for me. I use the standard L tips or the cp155 L. So there's a good chance that the cp155 L will get you a good seal too.

DanTheMan

Holy moly! They are absolutely perfect for the Moondrop Spaceship and my ears. Absolute perfection. Comfortable as I’ve ever felt and the tonal balance is somewhere between the original and the AZLA which I also find ideal. They do unfortunately block a bit more noise than the AZLA, but they are still not “world silencers“ like my beloved Etymotic. This is cheap and cheerful HiFi bliss.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using the Tanchjim Cora with my Motu M2. It sounds decent enough on its own, and with a safe, inoffensive Harman-like frequency tuning I find it easy to swap ear tips to pursue the sound signature I prefer without it sounding too off. So far I'm really liking it with the original JVC spiral dot ear tips

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Got a pair of KZ ZSX for my b'day to replace a battered pair of SoundMAGIC E10 I had bought in Oct 2013 as a "stopgap measure" (you know how that goes - it isn't temporary unless it is). In recent times the plug required regular polishing, and the ratio of tape to original insulation was continuously increasing. My DIY foam tips would always last a good while but were variable in sound and fit. (I had originally been looking at some Moondrop Starfields but those would have been a US import and reports about reliability weren't that encouraging. So it was either these or the BLON BL-03.)

Everything stock right out of the box for now. Assembly wasn't too hard and things will pretty much only fit one way although I had to whip out the moldymeter to determine left and right channels. The cable is a bit tangly but not too bad all told (I can't determine by eye whether he shared section is 3 or 4 conductor, think it's 4 but I'm not an expert on braids). Oddly enough, the default medium size silicone tips fit both of my ears OK. Which is good because the spare ones supplied put up a pretty good fight.

These little suckers are legit hi-fi, as cheap as they are. A bit hot at the top end, but otherwise they sound right. But man, they're sensitive - my Clip+ sounds like a noise generator, and that's hardly the noisiest DAP ever. Had to whip out the trusty UE attenuator graciously provided by a fellow HiFi-Forum member about a decade ago (thanks again mate!).

Next up is a public transport test (isolation does seem quite good, as far as these single silicone tips go anyway).

DanTheMan

your “fit issues” may require trying out a different size tip on the right ear. IME going one size larger usually does the job instead of going smaller and forcing the whole thing deeper thinking it will help create that perfect seal. the perfect fit is actually very comforable and should not induce pressure or discomfort in the ear canal. think of the silicone tip much like an automobile tire, the IEM nozzle is the wheel suspended by the tire inside your ear canal. if you induce pressure than you get a flat tire, seal is broken! making any sense? i could not think of a better way to describe how i learned to tweak an IEM into place. HTH
This has been my experience now with shallow insertion IEMs. Medium on the left, small on the right and I can jog with them in. Thank you so much!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
These little suckers are legit hi-fi, as cheap as they are. A bit hot at the top end, but otherwise they sound right.
Ha, joke's on me. I don't remember having the EQ turned on, but it was, and there was a ca. 5.5 dB bass boost dialed in. :facepalm: Good thing I checked. The E10s always sounded warm to me, that certainly wouldn't have helped. Also, my UE attenuator has apparently developed an intermittent ground connection. :( Will have to fix this somehow, not looking forward to that.

First EQ attempts for the ZSX by ear got me to:
low shelf 710 Hz +4.5 dB Q = 0.7
peak 1 kHz +3.0 dB Q = 1.0
high shelf 5250 Hz -4.0 dB Q = 0.7

Might have a smidge too much bass now (no biggie and in fact welcome on public transport), and I think I'm missing a bit in the "air" territory while mid-treble is plenty present enough, but the basic balance seems alright for the time being. I'll have to look up some other EQs from reputable sources to see how they compare.

JFTR, I am generally running with Meier crossfeed on, and since this Clip+ is my "out and about" player the compressor is also enabled (threshold -24 dB, 4:1, soft knee, attack 5 ms, decay 1000 ms).

Last edited:

DSS

TL'DR: Don't know anything about IEMs. Please suggest a neutral/accurate one that's around US$150-200.

Long version: I'm looking for an "everyday carry" IEM for when I'm traveling, commuting, etc. Not familiar with the IEM realm but I do know that headphones in general should not measure flat. But I need an accurate and neutral one with the least coloration. My benchmark for headphones is the HD6XX. If I can get an IEM that sounds like the HD6XX that would be good enough.

I plan to use it to listen to Spotify with my Samsung S8 (upgrading to S10 soon) and an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. I know that AQ isn't an objectivist darling but the Cobalt seems to be the best out there for my purpose: an uber portable DAC/amp to drive $200 IEMs for Spotify playback. I've used having a cigarette carton sized DAP in the past but it's just too bulky and cumbersome. Now I just want to listen with my phone.

The Etymotic ER3SE ($179) seems to fit my requirements, but I haven't tried one out. Darko raved about the Campfire Audio Comet ($200) but are they neutral?

I bought these a few years ago and still using on a daily base:
Venture Electronics Asura - (around 80€ - not for sale anymore I just saw :-( )
Venture Electronics Monk - (the cheapest and in my opinion better bass than the Asura)
Both sound wonderful not in ear but good old fashion earbuds. I use the Monk for phone calls and travels. The Asura for work and listening pleasure next to the HD6XX, which I also enjoy. Earbuds are very comfy to me and I don't crave for the HD6xx when I listen with the earbuds.

Venture Electronics Asura 2.0s Earphone Review – Reviews of things.. (wordpress.com)
[www.veclan.com] - they are from a small place in China and it takes about a month to arrive in Europe.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought these a few years ago and still using on a daily base:
Venture Electronics Asura - (around 80€ - not for sale anymore I just saw :-( )
Venture Electronics Monk - (the cheapest and in my opinion better bass than the Asura)
Both sound wonderful not in ear but good old fashion earbuds. I use the Monk for phone calls and travels. The Asura for work and listening pleasure next to the HD6XX, which I also enjoy. Earbuds are very comfy to me and I don't crave for the HD6xx when I listen with the earbuds.

Venture Electronics Asura 2.0s Earphone Review – Reviews of things.. (wordpress.com)
[www.veclan.com] - they are from a small place in China and it takes about a month to arrive in Europe.
Earbuds are not iems though :p
Well, not sure how strict this thread is

welsh

Agree, KZ ZSX is good. To my ears tonality is quite balanced. Seriously a very good budget IEM.
Mad, I know, but with serious amplifier power (Fiio E12 on high gain) the controversial Tin Hifi P1 planars just do it for me!

I own a 6XX too and was on the same exact journey on acquiring a 6XX-ish sounding IEM for on the go use since I hated KZ ZS10 Pro's bright treble.
Tested QOA Vesper in an audiophile shop and was amazed by its bass extension, it reminds me of Meze 99 Classic's bass. Personally I like that kind of bass sound and decided to pick one up to replace my ZS10 Pro.

Vocal is clear but not as intimate as 6XX, it handles treble well and I'd say it's almost the same as 6XX's treble. Bass is the buying point on Vesper as it is stronger than 6XX but has better resolution on the bass. Instruments are delightful on Vesper and the soundstaging, it has an illusion of the sound that goes around the back of your ear.

2M2B

Really love how well the Etymotic ER4SR/S handle a bass boost under 100Hz. Despite using a full range BA driver, At 6db it sounds no different to many multi driver IEM's I've demo'd in the past.

Sharur

https://www.gpucheck.com/headphone/etymotic-er4xr/ lol
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.18.20 PM.png

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Regardless of your opinion of the ER4XR- it's possible to disagree about anything, especially in audio- this 'review' ranges from useless to laughable. Most of the comments sound like the 'reviewer' was experiencing fit issues, which will cause problems like those the 'reviewer' struggles to describe. The comment that 'noise leakage is worse than other competitors' is particularly ridiculous. This term is normally used to describe sound leaking out of the headphone. 'Isolation' is usually used to refer to the ability to keep outside sound from reaching the listener. In both respects, an Etymotic headset, properly fitted, is as good as anything out there, including some active noise canceling models. The 'reviewer' IMO should try again after trying the different tips and watching the insertion tips videoon the Ety youtube video.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
By the way, I got a pair of ER2XR's recently after mulling the loss risk of carrying my ER4XR's while commuting. I am blown away by the performance per dollar and in some ways prefer them to my 4's- they play dynamics better (especially direct from my phone, but even from my amp, which doesn't struggle into the 4's 45Ω load) and have more 'solid' bass. I got the version with the 'Lightning headphone adapter' from Amazon. The adapter was a POS that broke off in my Lightning port, so I tossed it (didn't need it anyway), but the earphones are probably the best $79 I've ever spent.

Top Bottom