• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
The lore is built on many things that doesn't make sense in a futuristic world, not to mention the force, which is more like magic.
Yeah... but "Galaxy Far Far Away", so who knows what is "normal" there. SW should probably not be compared to our reality or our little corner of the Milky Way. ;)

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the real question is: will the “main” characters actually be in the show?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Yeah... but "Galaxy Far Far Away", so who knows what is "normal" there. SW should probably not be compared to our reality or our little corner of the Milky Way. ;)

JSmith

ok, it's not canon, but anyway:

:p

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Star Wars really is more of science-fantasy story than science-fiction. The lore is built on many things that doesn't make sense in a futuristic world, not to mention the force, which is more like magic. These details already have been used to construct another world probably more because it was fun or awesome than anything else. This not how you do sci-fi in my opinion.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy such stories though, I just find them less appealing. I was a bigger fan younger, not so much nowadays after reading and seeing a whole lot of better sci-fi stories. I still enjoy the first six episodes (yes yes that include the first three despite bad overall acting...) and Rogue One, which is probably my favourite, but don't care much for everything else.
Rogue one is my favorite too. I also however like SOLO: A star wars story which apparently most people don't.

But hey, my 2nd favorite Star Trek after the original is the Enterprise series. Looking forward to the Strange New world Star Trek btw.
I think it is available Friday May 6.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looking forward to the Strange New world Star Trek btw.
I think it is available Friday May 6.
Nope, it started today, May 5th.
I've got it all set to watch the first episode later this evening and hoping for the best.
My sub to Paramount + probably gets more viewing time than any other and I enjoy it's lineup of the various Star Trek series a lot.
Star Trek, Star Wars, I loved em all, just some more than others. The only ones I hated were the two with that Jar Jar Binks character. They really turned me off aiming for the 6 year old market with the making of Episodes 1 & 2 but I'm in good company there. Those two are at the bottom of popularity lists for the franchise.
But then I'm easy with SciFi, just always loved this kind of stuff going back to a still fav of mine, 1956's Forbidden Planet
It gave us our first look at Robby the Robot who would later return in a number of films.
"Monsters Jim, Monsters from the ID". That's a classic and Anne Francis was a hottie. ;)
forbiddenplanet1956.1114.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, it started today, May 5th.
I've got it all set to watch the first episode later this evening and hoping for the best.
My sub to Paramount + probably gets more viewing time than any other and I enjoy it's lineup of the various Star Trek series a lot.
Star Trek, Star Wars, I loved em all, just some more than others. The only ones I hated were the two with that Jar Jar Binks character. They really turned me off aiming for the 6 year old market with the making of Episodes 1 & 2 but I'm in good company there. Those two are at the bottom of popularity lists for the franchise.
But then I'm easy with SciFi, just always loved this kind of stuff going back to a still fav of mine, 1956's Forbidden Planet
It gave us our first look at Robby the Robot who would later return in a number of films.
"Monsters Jim, Monsters from the ID". That's a classic and Anne Francis was a hottie. ;)
forbiddenplanet1956.1114.jpg
How could you forget the Forbidden Planet inspired Krell amplifiers????? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But the real question is: will the “main” characters actually be in the show?
If the rumors are to be believed, the answer to this question might be: mostly no :facepalm:

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
I watched the first ep last night... was quite impressed and looking forward to where this new story will go within the bounds of what is already known.

Thumbs up so far;

1653705309755.png

JSmith

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't exaggerate how thoroughly sick I am of all things Star Wars. For me, never would be too soon to watch another Star Wars flick.

IMDB 8.7?? Rotten Tomatoes 88%?? Pul-eez: worthless fan-boy ratings.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched the first episode. Wasn’t the worst, but I fear this will be a Riva and Leia show. Especially Riva was cringe-inducing :facepalm:. That woman cannot act! And what they’ve given her to work with was appalling as well, so it’s a double suck!

The Leia catch game was mega contrived and fake as well. How hard can it be for a few grown aliens to catch a little girl :facepalm:

Let’s see what E02 brings..

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watched the first episode. Wasn’t the worst, but I fear this will be a Riva and Leia show. Especially Riva was cringe-inducing :facepalm:. That woman cannot act! And what they’ve given her to work with was appalling as well, so it’s a double suck!

The Leia catch game was mega contrived and fake as well. How hard can it be for a few grown aliens to catch a little girl :facepalm:

Let’s see what E02 brings..
I just want it to be entertaining.

I was 13 when the Original Star Wars came out.

Yea :) i will watch it tonight . Bad actors in important part is a true Stars Wars tradition . Mark Hamill ? Hayden Christensen ? how these guys could be casted for anything at all is a mystery :) But i'll watch it anyway .

Btw Mark has somewhat redeemed himself as a good voice actor for cartoons , he had whole career in that

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Watched the first two episodes tonight, they're going to be worth every penny I spend activating my Disney+ sub. So far I find it all really great, only the detail on some of the ships, etc is a bit soft. But I guess you can only spend so much for a streaming series, this should have been done as the feature film we've all miss since the Covid shutdown.
The Atmos soundtrack over my Apple TV 4K device is fairly well done and the HDR video doesn't suffer from the darkness of many others.
So far 4 1/2 stars on my end.
I can't exaggerate how thoroughly sick I am of all things Star Wars. For me, never would be too soon to watch another Star Wars flick.
Fully understand,
Now move on, you never have to watch another and we hear enough from Haters.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I don't know if I'll bother keeping Disney + around, was just waiting on this to see if it was worth waiting for. It'll have to get a lot better than that opening episode (p 1 & 2). I'll wait a bit longer because I'm just a sucker like that, if I can get thru all of Boba Fett I can do it again :). Star Wars was silly cartoony scifi to begin with, so Disney isn't particularly doing bad things with it that George didn't do to begin with. I saw the first movie in the producer's studio before general release and that was thrilling just because of the time it came out, altho I did cringe at many of the things like spaceships making sounds in space, white humans spread over multiple galaxies, guys who can't shoot straight, bla bla....but as long as you don't expect much.....like SW ep 1-3 :) and some of the sequel/prequels....and the tv series....is merchandise still huge for this "property"?

Top Bottom