• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That has nothing to do with it apparent succes
Yep, they spent the money because people hated it. :facepalm:

Whatever, I was happy that Jean-Luc Picard became immortal at the end of Season 1.
Now they can continue filming till they can't get Patrick Steward out of bed any more..
Maybe even after. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
An 86% Tomato score is hated?
Audience scores are like most others, the only time people take the time to post something is to bitch, rarely will they bother for anything positive.
Oh well, I very much enjoyed it and glad there will be a Season 3
YMMV

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An 86% Tomato score is hated?
Those are not regular people… They are “professionals”. It’s like accepting a Hifi magazine DAC review as gospel.
Audience scores are like most others, the only time people take the time to post something is to bitch, rarely will they bother for anything positive.
That’s why all shows and movies have a bad audience score?
Oh well, I very much enjoyed it and glad there will be a Season 3
Good for you! I’m actually a little excited about S03… lots of Next Gen people returning… hopefully for the better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sometimes watch a movie with high critics and low audience rating and like it. Much more common by maybe 5:1 is when trying to watch such movies the audience had it right and I don't know what the critics were looking at. One exception being movies that are about gay men and women. No matter what the movie is like it gets high, high audience scores regardless of the critics score or how good it was. Not a political statement just an observation.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hated Picard season 1, I was persuaded to give season 2 a chance after people told me that episode 1 was OK and hated it just as much as the first season. The reason I am positive about Strange New Worlds is not so much because it's especially good but rather it is the first Star Trek show or movie for over 20 years that feels like Star Trek and isn't just utterly awful. I thought the same about the Mandalorian, it was very average, a classic case of 'nothing special', but after the heinous episodes 8 and 9 it was hailed as greatness because it wasn't outright bad.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I watched E02 last night... still enjoying, good story so far. E02 seems to have been a bit better than E01. :)

This is excellent.

JSmith
Like with any story, book or otherwise, it takes a bit to get comfortable (or not) with the characters.
So far I've enjoyed it quite a bit, just hope they don't go too far with trying to shove their hollyweird PC politics into every story. We're getting way too much of that in the media.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Like with any story, book or otherwise, it takes a bit to get comfortable (or not) with the characters.
So far I've enjoyed it quite a bit, just hope they don't go too far with trying to shove their hollyweird PC politics into every story. We're getting way too much of that in the media.
Media just like businesses are only out after making profits. From the getgo though SW has been basically about fighting against space nazis...which should hardly be controversial

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Media just like businesses are only out after making profits.
Absolutely
From the getgo though SW has been basically about fighting against space nazis...which should hardly be controversial
But in this particular instance we're discussing a Star Trek series. Since 1966 they have always tried to make statements on the social issues of the day. Which is not a bad thing, but today Hollyweird seems to think they know whats best for us all, all the time. WRONG
Back OT

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many TV shows have built commentary on topical issues of the day and promoted what might be described as a liberal view into their stories, such as Star Trek and Doctor Who. And I have never had a problem with that. I think where it went wrong for some of these shows was that promoting a message was allowed to trump good writing and entertainment value so that they ended up evolving from entertainment with a message to something dreamt up to provide a back story for the messaging. The reason I like Strange New Worlds is that they have shifted the focus back onto story telling and entertainment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the purpose of many re-makes, to update to current social terms. So many old white males get so upset with the changes recently I find it mostly amusing. We had crap from the old white male crowd for so long, I simply find it refreshing to have change.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the purpose of many re-makes, to update to current social terms. So many old white males get so upset with the changes recently I find it mostly amusing. We had crap from the old white male crowd for so long, I simply find it refreshing to have change.
Oh and fwiw I'm an old white male who has all the priveleges....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The reason I like Strange New Worlds is that they have shifted the focus back onto story telling and entertainment.
Let's hope it stays that way.
What they did to the last couple seasons of Dr Who is sacrilegious. ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think Star Wars missed a trick by not just filming Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, with the exception of Rogue One I think the Thrawn stories have been the only additions to the originally trilogy that really worked.

Top Bottom