• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

non-linear Class-A amp with fun sound

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what I am looking for is a fun, warm sound with not much linearity and a huge sound stage with depth and width while keeping the detail, imaging, and technicalities intact.
Why not just throw some "vintage" VSTs into EQAPO?

I personally use this and this for impulse-based crossfeed for stereo width (works nice), there are other options like this or this. Crossfeed didn't totally make sense to me at first, but eventually I realized it's the best way to add stereo imaging / width to headphones, right after making sure you have good channel matching.

You can also add some dynamic nonlinear vintage warming stuff from the excellent selections here, also for free, and probably get a sound you'll be happy with.

Distortion from plugins may not seem as "legit" as distortion from amps, (although ask yourself, why not? Is digital really inherently inferior to analog in some way? If so, what way? It's good enough for bands and studios...) but you can always spend more money later after you try out some DSP, if you still want to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

I have super duper advice. Instead of looking for "fun" sounding amplifier it's better to find fun sounding music ;)
Hope that helps.

1692960870341.jpeg

Jim

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seriously. When you want "fun" sounding amplifier that adds something or color the sound why even are you listening to that music?
If it's boring (aka not into your liking) why even bothering to listening to it?
If you don't like it just CHANGE THE FREAKIN MUSIC. Or start your own band...
(or use an EQ)

Top Bottom