• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise Floor Modulation

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We know your ilk have only opinion, zero reliable evidence, ever...and 100% reliance on others to do all the goose chasing.
cow-brand.jpg

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's a shame as I thought this thread has some hope of achieving something (even if it was just some semblance of co-operation between sides)?.

I can create, in Audacity, a noise floor which modulates at a fixed frequency - I just can't figure out how to do random modulation or modulation that uses another signal as the template for the modulation. Maybe somebody else can help here - I've tried looking into the Nyquist Prompt area in Audacity where processing commands can be given & that's where I found how to do noise modulation but not how to use a random modulation or an audio stream as a modulation template

Pity you want to hold onto this information - I don't consider this attitude in the spirit of what this thread purports to be or in the spirit of scientific investigation - it's a real shame as it had the potential to be of use.

You know that you will need to spell out the details of how you prepared the audio files & created the noise floor modulation at some point, otherwise this test is pointless? So I don't see what your reluctance is, to do so now!

JK I really don't care what you want or what you think. The test is devised to prevent time being wasted, especially my time. The results will tell me if this is worth persuing or if it is a wild goose chase.

You can participate or not. I will explain precisely what was done after people have submitted their findings.

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Well, 2 tries but success 2nd time, downloading files...sloooowly. Will check out later.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, 2 tries but success 2nd time, downloading files...sloooowly. Will check out later.

If you have further trouble downloading I will put them on another server.

Oh I should probably add that can people also indicate in their response which they think has the higher level of NFM. A or B out of each set.

Thanks

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JK I really don't care what you want or what you think. The test is devised to prevent time being wasted, especially my time. The results will tell me if this is worth persuing or if it is a wild goose chase.
OK, I got it now - this thread is about you - it's not about trying to find the truth in whether noise floor modulation is audible & in what particular aspects it might be so - it's just another agenda driven attempt couched as an "investigation". Why not come right out & be blunt like AJ?

You can participate or not. I will explain precisely what was done after people have submitted their findings.
You seem to forget again that this thread is not about you or me - there are readers.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
OK, I got it now - this thread is about you - it's not about trying to find the truth in whether noise floor modulation is audible & in what particular aspects it might be so - it's just another agenda driven attempt couched as an "investigation". Why not come right out & be blunt like AJ?

You seem to forget again that this thread is not about you or me - there are readers.

Take your tantrum elsewhere JK :p

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Oh I should probably add that can people also indicate in their response which they think has the higher level of NFM. A or B out of each set.
Will do. Just remember you will never get magic dac peddlers to do any audibility tests, that would be bad for "the biz" as they say. If you need any clarification, look no further than here
about doing no peeking trust ears tests.

cheers,

AJ

John Kenny

Take your tantrum elsewhere JK :p
It seems that you really can't help yourself lashing out - this is the second attempt at demeaning what I say - the first was calling my informative post "waffle" & now you call this "tantrum" - a post that reiterates exactly what Opus stated on page 1 of the thread & you just proved how correct he was.

I'll leave yourself & AJ to it.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Will do. Just remember you will never get magic dac peddlers to do any audibility tests, that would be bad for "the biz" as they say. If you need any clarification, look no further than here
about doing no peeking trust ears tests.

cheers,

AJ

I know, unfortunately I have much experience of JKs uninformed argumentative nonsense from elsewhere.

John Kenny

Hey, why not leave all your baggage at the door of this forum - I'm sure nobody wants a repeat of the usual dick waving posts?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hey, why not leave all your baggage at the door of this forum - I'm sure nobody wants a repeat of the usual dick waving posts?
no, we want research driven facts or at least aspiration to this effect. that's up to you guys, i am a retard and all i need to get a gold star is to not wet myself in daylight hours... my progress is measured in pints of dribble, the less the better. (not doing so well though:()

fas42

Major Contributor
Back to downloading, :p ... I tried again the post 14 file, and this time it got past the first hurdle and is now actually transferring - I'll report back Yay or Nay on at least that part of the deal ...

fas42

Major Contributor
Good news ... the download went cleanly - it seems like the server could be temperamental, it spits the dummy far too easily when the handshaking is not as it likes ...

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, that didn't take long.:)
:D

BTW I have found and solved an issue with the downloads - its Synology's method for linking the files, it looks like it proxies. It goes direct now.

I have just tried one of the files and it was going at about 12Mb/s over the phone connection and downloaded in 4 minutes.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Okay, it's getting interesting - just tried playing the latest files, on the laptop - and it's dead easy to pick the difference ... I'll let BE know via PM which is "better" ...

Top Bottom