• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for high end Audio Technica headphones?

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do people here think of the R70x? Checking sonarworks it seems like the FR is close to the harman target, fwiw

If you like the wing system they are superb headphones. Very conventional neutral sounding tuning unlike the rather different tuning of some of the other higher end Audio Technica models. They are feather light but don't feel cheap and have replaceable cable. They are not that far removed from the HD600 in terms of sound.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got an AD700x a while back for gaming, liked it so much I jumped at an AD1000x for $175. Shopping for a DAC and an amp now, but even with on board audio I'm pretty happy.

I find that if the on-board amplifier drives your headphones to your desired volume level without distortion and clipping then you probably don't need an external amplifier and DAC. Some headphones are not that efficient or easy to drive and some devices have limited output power (often to meet hearing protection regulations) and so there definitely are circumstances where a headphone amplifier is needed but I am honestly much less sure about DACs. I really wish I had a pound for every time I have heard someone complain that they bought a separate DAC/headphone amplifier based on flowery prose in magazines only to find it made no difference.

dafoomie

I find that if the on-board amplifier drives your headphones to your desired volume level without distortion and clipping then you probably don't need an external amplifier and DAC. Some headphones are not that efficient or easy to drive and some devices have limited output power (often to meet hearing protection regulations) and so there definitely are circumstances where a headphone amplifier is needed but I am honestly much less sure about DACs. I really wish I had a pound for every time I have heard someone complain that they bought a separate DAC/headphone amplifier based on flowery prose in magazines only to find it made no difference.
Had those same thoughts, it's an easy to drive headphone and the computer easily reaches a high volume level. My max spend would be on a JDS Atom or Geshelli Archel 2 and a Topping D10 or Khadas Tone Board, hesitating because I don't know if I'd hear a difference over cheaper used options like an o2, or nothing at all.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Had those same thoughts, it's an easy to drive headphone and the computer easily reaches a high volume level. My max spend would be on a JDS Atom or Geshelli Archel 2 and a Topping D10 or Khadas Tone Board, hesitating because I don't know if I'd hear a difference over cheaper used options like an o2, or nothing at all.
Try Apple USB-C dongle - it is cheap, and see if you notice a difference.

Buster

If you like the wing system they are superb headphones. Very conventional neutral sounding tuning unlike the rather different tuning of some of the other higher end Audio Technica models. They are feather light but don't feel cheap and have replaceable cable. They are not that far removed from the HD600 in terms of sound.
+1. I agree.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I done done it again. Just bought another pair of AT higher end from Amazon warehouse details. The W5000 proved a success after pad change and EQ

Lets see what to make of the AD2000x when they arrive. I imagine some band bending will be needed out of the box. Some Brainwavs XL to get my ears comfy and I am sure some treble reduction on the EQ.

An acquired taste for sure but I reckon if you get the fit and EQ right for your own preference these ATs are some of the best out there. The W5000 image better than just about anything I've heard , HD800 level.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally managed to try some of these high end Audio Technica models, the ATH AD2000X and ATH W5000. Both use the wing system which is a bit marmite (an English colloquial expression meaning you either love it or hate it) but I found it fine. Both were very light, despite the W5000 using wooden cups which tend to be associated with heavier designs these are very light and with low clamping force. Build quality of both is superb, with very high quality materials throughout and very high standards of fit and finish. These are very expensive headphones but at least they have the good grace to feel expensive despite their light weight (it seems common to equate heaviness with quality, but it is more impressive to offer very high build quality and lightweight). The ATH W5000 comes in a very large hard case which looks pretty impressive on the outside but has a tacky red satin interior which looks like something out of a cheap boudoir. The slightly odd thing in todays market is that neither model has removable cables, given that neither is intended to be a mobile model it is probably not that big a deal but I'd still like replaceable cables on such expensive headphones as if paying this much you're not buying a throwaway item and ease of replacement if the cable does get damaged is desirable.
I'd like to see measurements for these headphones. I won't write reams of subjective nonsense, but I will say I liked the sound. Bass is restrained, treble slightly bright and mid range outstanding. How that impression would stand comparison with measurement I'd like to see. Overall they felt very smooth and despite the slightly emphasised treble and restrained bass I found them pretty relaxed and extremely well suited to classical (I mainly listen to orchestral and opera).
I'm not sure I'd buy a pair unless there was a stellar offer as they are expensive, but I rather liked them.
Snap

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Curse Amazon and their sometimes ridiculous Warehouse deals- the AD2000Z came up for less than £200 (very good condition). I couldnt say no to these , could I.

wildgooselake

Might be strong opinion, but the only ones I've tried were quite horrible. Almost unbelievably so for the price.

To give some context for my preference, in headphones I need neutral sound and good comfort. If you can't wear them for long, what's the point :) I also need my headphones to be closed, as I use them in places with other people.

Somehow the ATH-A1000Z caught my attention. I switched to them because the Oppo PM3, and Focal Spirit Professional before those, were quite uncomfortable to wear. Comfort-wise the Audio-Technicas were great, reminded me of Beyerdynamic DT series.

The sound though... The name made me believe the sound would be more or less balanced, but the treble was so harsh, I could barely keep them on for 10 minutes.

z1.jpg

I currently use the Shure SRH1540's (my only headphones, never saw a need for several pairs). One of the best I've heard: the only downside is mid-bass exaggeration, but with EQ they become very balanced. And very comfortable and light.

I haven't tried the open Audio Technicas, but as many have mentioned, the R70x do come up frequently as really good. Unfortunately open designs I cannot reasonably use.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be strong opinion, but the only ones I've tried were quite horrible. Almost unbelievably so for the price.

To give some context for my preference, in headphones I need neutral sound and good comfort. If you can't wear them for long, what's the point :) I also need my headphones to be closed, as I use them in places with other people.

Somehow the ATH-A1000Z caught my attention. I switched to them because the Oppo PM3, and Focal Spirit Professional before those, were quite uncomfortable to wear. Comfort-wise the Audio-Technicas were great, reminded me of Beyerdynamic DT series.

The sound though... The name made me believe the sound would be more or less balanced, but the treble was so harsh, I could barely keep them on for 10 minutes.

View attachment 168050

I currently use the Shure SRH1540's (my only headphones, never saw a need for several pairs). One of the best I've heard: the only downside is mid-bass exaggeration, but with EQ they become very balanced. And very comfortable and light.

I haven't tried the open Audio Technicas, but as many have mentioned, the R70x do come up frequently as really good. Unfortunately open designs I cannot reasonably use.
They sure are an acquired taste. The 2000z do actually bring a bit of bass compared to others and squash that bit firmer on but all the AT top line are marmite headphones!

PeteL

Major Contributor
I can vouch for the wp900. Really fun listen, on the warmer side for A-T. Price is OK for the level of construction and finish, interesting form factor. Large driver and over ears but designed in a greatly portable way, if you're OK to walk around with expensive looking woodies. Quite right to my ears, didn't see measurments.

Top Bottom