• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Technics SB-G90M2 coaxial floorstanding

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
New floorstanding 35 KG
1632547759395.png

Technics_SB-G90M2_ONmag_3.jpg

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, there's also a bookshelf model: https://www.technics.com/uk/news/0011.html

No idea if they're coming to the US.

Their speaker lineup has always looked a little schizophrenic to me. The C700 (a fantastic speaker, though I guess they never got traction in the market - I may be a little self-interested in saying so as I own a pair, but I believe these are future cult classics) has a cabinet that looks like it was designed to minimize diffraction and a flat coax like some vintage Technics speakers with a 3/4" tweeter. Then this line, which is squared off and has a conventional conical coax with a larger tweeter. Most companies have a hard-to-impossible time optimizing one design of concentric driver. I wonder how Technics did with two.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their previous SB-C700 measured very well and were also very highly ranked by the Stereophile
so I would also love to see some measurements on those.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Sorry for not having bothered searching. It does compete properly with KEF's R serie pricing (R7 is £2600 and has the same woofer area), so definitely awaiting hard data.

By the way, is there some good quality (S&R or Klippel quality) data for the SB-C700? I really want to compare it with the new LS50; I'm especially skeptical concerning directivity (even if Stereophile shows something truly great up to ~14 kHz) and possibly distortion.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Beautiful speakers, would love to have them in my room.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Sorry for not having bothered searching. It does compete properly with KEF's R serie pricing (R7 is £2600 and has the same woofer area), so definitely awaiting hard data.

By the way, is there some good quality (S&R or Klippel quality) data for the SB-C700? I really want to compare it with the new LS50; I'm especially skeptical concerning directivity (even if Stereophile shows something truly great up to ~14 kHz) and possibly distortion.
Yep, very similar to the R7, both have 2 woofers + 1 coax 32 KG KEF , the Technics is 35 kg is very heavy tower

Last edited:

JWAmerica

I love coaxial drivers. Very interested in the measurements for these towers.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't seen anything higher quality than stereophiles, but for what it's worth directivity is probably the most reliable part of any measurement across different measurement systems. In my own case even when there are some differences on-axis, directivity very rarely (perhaps even never?) varies much compared to anechoic sources.

What makes the SB-700 so interesting to me is that it's a wide directivity coaxial design with very nicely controlled directivity. That's quite the rarity.

JWAmerica

I haven't seen anything higher quality than stereophiles, but for what it's worth directivity is probably the most reliable part of any measurement across different measurement systems. In my own case even when there are some differences on-axis, directivity very rarely (perhaps even never?) varies much compared to anechoic sources.

What makes the SB-700 so interesting to me is that it's a wide directivity coaxial design with very nicely controlled directivity. That's quite the rarity.

SB-C700 or SB-700? Or SB-X700A? Very different speakers despite similar model names.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SB-C700 or SB-700? Or SB-X700A? Very different speakers despite similar model names.
SB-C700 of course, the other are vintage and not coaxial, although Technics had also a very good for that time coaxial series around in the mid 80s

Top Bottom