• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

RocShemp

No one knows, but it probably depends if your room is wider or deeper.

If you have a single row sofa, 9.2.4 makes the most sense. If you have two rows of stadium seating, 9.2.6 works.

The original Yamaha pre Atmos 11 channel processors were 11.2.0! They had front and rear presence in the height/wide position.
Single row sofa. Also my room is wider than longer.

Beeersteddy

The STR-ZA5000ES only has a 500w rating on the back, but had very solid power. You can really only compare within product lines as opposed to different brands.
I wouldn't worry about it. Power is not everything.

I've moved from Sony STR-DN1080 to x3700h. 250W vs 660W yet the is not so much of a difference in real life as it looks on a paper

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I've moved from Sony STR-DN1080 to x3700h. 250W vs 660W yet the is not so much of a difference in real life as it looks on a paper
The 3400h was 20 watts more powerful in stereo, 25 watts in 5 channel, 5 watts in 7 channel than the Sony 1050.

4MusicFirst

Also, the AZ5000ES weighs over 42lbs, the x4800h weighs 29lbs. Which will likely impact power output in some way I would guess. I also heard someone say that the previous ES receivers had very conservative power ratings as well, but in real life use had more than ample power to drive all speakers effectively..

techsamurai

Also, the AZ5000ES weighs over 42lbs, the x4800h weighs 29lbs. Which will likely impact power output in some way I would guess. I also heard someone say that the previous ES receivers had very conservative power ratings as well, but in real life use had more than ample power to drive all speakers effectively..

Based on previous model tests, in terms of power output, I expect the 5000 to outmuscle everything named Marantz especially since the 8015 is being discontinued.

Some heavy Denons in the 50lb range will be more powerful than the 5000 and it'll be interesting to see the 7000 vs the Denon 8500.

The 3000 is the strange one because it almost feels like an old school AVR without the preouts. If it had a 2nd 400 watt power supply for the LR and cost $2,100, we would have named it AVR of the decade without even bothering to test it.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With SMPS are we still considering weight = power?

Andysu

Major Contributor

xcomp666

7000ES lists 540w on its back on the power usage label. Way too low compared to even Denon 4800h’s 710w. I suspect these sonys will not do well on power hungry speakers and 4 ohm speakers
Weird! :D I did the opposite. I had the Denon 4700h and returned it. I go the Yamaha Rx-A6A and I loved it. Pretty decent bass ( has a great push!), Better highs ( more detailed). I can agree with you about the calibration. YPAO is tricky! Audyssey is much better for movies. For overall music usage. Yamaha sounds way better and runs much cooler.

xcomp666

I am a bit concerned about these 7000ES power numbers. 540W seems pretty limited IMO. I'm curious about the calibration and surround sound. Andrew Robinson said in his review that this receiver has the best surround he has ever heard.

techsamurai

I am a bit concerned about these 7000ES power numbers. 540W seems pretty limited IMO. I'm curious about the calibration and surround sound. Andrew Robinson said in his review that this receiver has the best surround he has ever heard.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't hit 120 watts in 7 channels. That's better than the Marantz SR8015 which costs $4,000 and more power than the Cinema 40,50,60 which maybe 30-40% lower.

Nothing really goes over 120 watts for 7 channels without doubling the weight and price for Class A/B. It's the gold standard without getting an external amp.

To get 140-150 watts for 7 channels in an AVR, it's near impossible with Class A/B due to the sheer amount of heatsinks that you need for passive cooling.

mattsrs

I'd be surprised if it doesn't hit 120 watts in 7 channels. That's better than the Marantz SR8015 which costs $4,000 and more power than the Cinema 40,50,60 which maybe 30-40% lower.

Nothing really goes over 120 watts for 7 channels without doubling the weight and price for Class A/B. It's the gold standard without getting an external amp.

To get 140-150 watts for 7 channels in an AVR, it's near impossible with Class A/B due to the sheer amount of heatsinks that you need for passive cooling.

If it hits 120x7, that means it will pull 840 watt from the wall socket and doesn't make sense for them to put 540watt on the back for max power usage.

techsamurai

If it hits 120x7, that means it will pull 840 watt from the wall socket and doesn't make sense for them to put 540watt on the back for max power usage.
Not how it really works - it's a lot more than 840 watts. Probably 1.6 kilowatts because of how inefficient Class A/B AVRs are. That's why the power supply numbers are more of a reference between models from the same manufacturer. You can't use them to compare across manufacturers.

mattsrs

Not how it really works - it's a lot more than 840 watts. Probably 1.6 kilowatts because of how inefficient Class A/B AVRs are. That's why the power supply numbers are more of a reference between models from the same manufacturer. You can't use them to compare across manufacturers.

Someone on the other forum shared this great article from Gene to clarify this: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/receiver-back-panel-power-ratings

TLDR is that the back panel rating is not max wattage so I am now comfortable with pre-ordering this beast. I currently have Denon X4800h and am still within the return period. The spatial tech on these Sonys is what intrigues me. What do you guys think? Will I regret giving up my 4800h for a AZ7000ES (I don't need 13 channels but want to get the one with max power) ?

4MusicFirst

Someone on the other forum shared this great article from Gene to clarify this: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/receiver-back-panel-power-ratings

TLDR is that the back panel rating is not max wattage so I am now comfortable with pre-ordering this beast. I currently have Denon X4800h and am still within the return period. The spatial tech on these Sonys is what intrigues me. What do you guys think? Will I regret giving up my 4800h for a AZ7000ES (I don't need 13 channels but want to get the one with max power) ?
If I were you I would save some money and go for the AZ5000ES unless you need/want the extra channels.. It weighs over 13lbs more than the x4800h. Of course the 7000ES is even more of a beast, but same functionality, just less channels (and slightly bigger power supply).

Last edited:

ban25

If it was me, I would want to see a very thorough review of the room correction first. With the X4800H you are getting tried & true solutions in the form of Audyssey and Dirac. With the Sony, who knows what you're getting? Some soundbar tech?

Top Bottom