• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL D-6S

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Bluetooth I always have the question if it can transmit, but it's probably just receiver.

SMSL's pricing sure is weird.

With the DL200, you get everything that the D-6S has (identical THD+N and SNR, 5Vrms Bal+2.5Vrms RCA, remote control, 7-segment display, aptX HD+LDAC), plus a powerful headphone Amp, for $10 less.

it has XLR out though

the back looks very cramped and i dont like how the screen sort of 'floats' outside of the case like its Tesla dashboard

I'd rather get the DL200 also but I'd like if they made an XLR DL200

but SMSL really are showing the others what they can do for $200

balanced out 9039 + state of the art bluetooth

its harder to justify spending more than $200

SMSL's pricing sure is weird.

With the DL200, you get everything that the D-6S has (identical THD+N and SNR, 5Vrms Bal+2.5Vrms RCA, remote control, 7-segment display, aptX HD+LDAC), plus a powerful headphone Amp, for $10 less.
as if their entire product portfolio makes senses when putting together. a lot of overlaps between products

thing is you can buy a $99 dac w/ mqa so at this point its like your appendix that isnt busted

its there, its of no use but as long as it doesnt get infected it doesnt matter, that's mqa

i want a 9039 dac (why I dont know) but i wonder if smsl will implement a usb type-c powered one... for $150? make it happen?

The D-6S seems to have way more in common with the DO100 than with the D-6. The DO100/D-6S panel layouts are identical apart from the odd "popped up" display on the D-6S. Internally it seems to be basically a DO100 with one 9039Q2M instead of 2x 9038Q2Ms, and an XU316 instead of an XU208.

Evaluation and test of the SMSL D6S

The SMSL D6S being available locally with next day delivery and for a price equivalent to 189US dollar, I have purchased one. I could have bought another Topping E70 which is in the same category and gives me total satisfaction but the E70 doesn’t keep its input selection when power cycled and is more expensive. In another setup I have the SMSL SU1 but it has no XLR outputs.

Here are my first impressions and measurements.

The unit looks quite well build and strong, it doesn’t heat at all.

The manual is minimum, one must play with the knob to understand it’s operation.

While in operation the device display shows only the input sampling rate, the display is mainly useful when you change the settings.

The volume from 99 to 0 is not in dB. But between 99 and 30 each time you decrease by 10 digits you decrease the output by exactly 5dB, or if you prefer 1 digit is 0.5dB.

The unit keeps all it’s settings and input selection while power cycled allowing unattended operation or hidden location.

I have made a few measurements for my own information and fun waiting @amirm to do a more extensive and accurate evaluation.

I am just using a E1DA cosmos class B as ADC +smsl isolator. The E1DA is just marginally better than the unit. Thus, actual figure should be slightly better. (1 or 2 dB better Sinad max). Software used is RMAA and REW. For RMAA the E1DA is used in stereo mode, for REW it is used in mono mode Left side.

Unsurprisingly all the results are excellent.

Sinad is 120dB for XLR output
1697199343989.png

Sinad is 118dB for RCA output
1697199359922.png

Intermodulation IMD din is -110dB
1697199375435.png

Swept intermodulation function of level
1697199393106.png

Multitone gives more than 21 bits free of distortion.
1697199410105.png

And here is a summary of RMAA results

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB
+0.03, -0.01​
Excellent​
Noise level, dB (A)
-123.1​
Excellent​
Dynamic range, dB (A)
122.8​
Excellent​
THD, %
0.00005​
Excellent​
Stereo crosstalk, dB
-120.5​
Excellent​
IMD at 10 kHz, %
0.00027​
Excellent​

As a conclusion the SMSL D6S is an excellent and inexpensive DAC with XLR outputs. Once again professional measuring tools would have given better results but the above results are significantly good enough for my satisfaction.

I regret that almost no DAC has a Bluetooth remote such as the Wiim Pro remote. All those low techs infrared remote really are coming from another century.

Now I am looking for a new amplifier to replace my 25 years old 100w/8Ohms 86dB sinad amplifier. The best that I have found locally is the topping pa7 which I also owns with total satisfaction, but I like to have each setup different.

Evaluation and test of the SMSL D6S

The SMSL D6S being available locally with next day delivery and for a price equivalent to 189US dollar, I have purchased one. I could have bought another Topping E70 which is in the same category and gives me total satisfaction but the E70 doesn’t keep its input selection when power cycled and is more expensive. In another setup I have the SMSL SU1 but it has no XLR outputs.

Here are my first impressions and measurements.

The unit looks quite well build and strong, it doesn’t heat at all.

The manual is minimum, one must play with the knob to understand it’s operation.

While in operation the device display shows only the input sampling rate, the display is mainly useful when you change the settings.

The volume from 99 to 0 is not in dB. But between 99 and 30 each time you decrease by 10 digits you decrease the output by exactly 5dB, or if you prefer 1 digit is 0.5dB.

The unit keeps all it’s settings and input selection while power cycled allowing unattended operation or hidden location.

I have made a few measurements for my own information and fun waiting @amirm to do a more extensive and accurate evaluation.

I am just using a E1DA cosmos class B as ADC +smsl isolator. The E1DA is just marginally better than the unit. Thus, actual figure should be slightly better. (1 or 2 dB better Sinad max). Software used is RMAA and REW. For RMAA the E1DA is used in stereo mode, for REW it is used in mono mode Left side.

Unsurprisingly all the results are excellent.

Sinad is 120dB for XLR output
View attachment 318486

Sinad is 118dB for RCA output
View attachment 318487

Intermodulation IMD din is -110dB
View attachment 318488

View attachment 318489

Multitone gives more than 21 bits free of distortion.
View attachment 318490

And here is a summary of RMAA results

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB
+0.03, -0.01​
Excellent​
Noise level, dB (A)
-123.1​
Excellent​
Dynamic range, dB (A)
122.8​
Excellent​
THD, %
0.00005​
Excellent​
Stereo crosstalk, dB
-120.5​
Excellent​
IMD at 10 kHz, %
0.00027​
Excellent​

As a conclusion the SMSL D6S is an excellent and inexpensive DAC with XLR outputs. Once again professional measuring tools would have given better results but the above results are significantly good enough for my satisfaction.

I regret that almost no DAC has a Bluetooth remote such as the Wiim Pro remote. All those low techs infrared remote really are coming from another century.

Now I am looking for a new amplifier to replace my 25 years old 100w/8Ohms 86dB sinad amplifier. The best that I have found locally is the topping pa7 which I also owns with total satisfaction, but I like to have each setup different.
@amirm pin to home page?

Thx for your measurements, @Abrise !
1697199393106.png
Unfortunately, this result is flawed by the Cosmos itself.

for REW it is used in mono mode Left side.
In mono-mode, Cosmos should be plugged with an Y XLR cable (female to 2 X male). ;) But anyway, measurements are what we are willing to expect considering manufacturers data. You just bought a 100% transparent unit.

Thx for your measurements, @Abrise !

Unfortunately, this result is flawed by the Cosmos itself.

In mono-mode, Cosmos should be plugged with an Y XLR cable (female to 2 X male). ;) But anyway, measurements are what we are willing to expect considering manufacturers data. You just bought a 100% transparent unit.
Thanks for your comment but I have done as you say. In stereo mode I am using 2 XLR cables, in mono mode which is supposed to give better E1DA accuracy I do use a Y XLR cable. Thats why I only measured the left sidewith REW being a bit lazy to change the Y cable side.( And also my measurements with RMAA in stereo having shown consistency between left and right.)

Does it have a fixed output mode, so that the volume control is disabled?

isnt that like all dacs with digital vol?

btw. this seems like one of those products that SMSL is denying existence of on their webpage and its only thru 'select retailers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom