• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
"The sourcing situation is still bad" wrote Lars today, so it is going to take a while...

I would not hold my breath for their PSUs ad the 1ET9040BA. Next spring maybe and the amp before the PSU.

scubasteve36

any news on this amplifier? thinking about going for the original purifi for snr but if this offers a better overall experience it might be worth waiting a few months for.

Last edited:
OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
any news on this amplifier? thinking about going for the original purifi for snr but if this offers a better overall experience it might be worth waiting a few months for.

As I wrote above, let us hope for this spring.

Reactions: EdW

EdW

I would not hold my breath for their PSUs ad the 1ET9040BA. Next spring maybe and the amp before the PSU.
The requirement for the PSU is known by Purifi. It would be remiss of them not to inform the amplifier building companies so that they can get the necessary SMPS PSU designed/sourced since Purifi won’t be supplying the PSU, at least not initially. Judging by the 9040 amplifier product number and the fact we know it is bridged my guess is that a +/-45V supply rated at 1600+ watts might fit the bill. The max. voltage might be a little higher than +/-45V though depending on how the ‘90’ is interpreted on a bridged amplifier.
The power supply could possibly be just a single quadrant design as the loading on each rail should be very similar for a bridged amplifier.
I imagine most amplifier companies have been talking to SMPS manufacturers about possible solutions.

EDIT: this amplifier, even as a monoblock, may need a larger case than many 7040 builds currently use so this may also delay the availability of these amplifiers. But a Purifi amplifier rated at approx. 400/800 Watts into 8//4 Ohms with good delivery below 4 Ohms could be a game changer for high end audio systems.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The requirement for the PSU is known by Purifi. It would be remiss of them not to inform the amplifier building companies so that they can get the necessary SMPS PSU designed/sourced since Purifi won’t be supplying the PSU, at least not initially. Judging by the 9040 amplifier product number and the fact we know it is bridged my guess is that a +/-45V supply rated at 1600+ watts might fit the bill. The max. voltage might be a little higher than +/-45V though depending on how the ‘90’ is interpreted on a bridged amplifier.
The power supply could possibly be just a single quadrant design as the loading on each rail should be very similar for a bridged amplifier.
I imagine most amplifier companies have been talking to SMPS manufacturers about possible solutions.

EDIT: this amplifier, even as a monoblock, may need a larger case than many 7040 builds currently use so this may also delay the availability of these amplifiers. But a Purifi amplifier rated at approx. 400/800 Watts into 8//4 Ohms with good delivery below 4 Ohms could be a game changer for high end audio systems.
Seeing the amount of companies advertising 950W/2Ohm with the 1ET7040SA paired to SMPS1200A400, be ready to see 1600W/2Ohm with the 1ET9040BA paired to a SMPS1200A180 :rolleyes:.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Yes, it is +/-45V

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last update (late February) I had from Purifi was a 2nd quarter release for this amp. So, could be a while yet. Both component and labor issues were cited for delaying.

I have requested an update but got an automated out-of-office reply. Stay tuned!

glc650

Is there a break down/summary of the basic differences between all the Purifi amps? The 1ET400A vs 1ET7040SA vs EVAL 1 vs this new/upcoming amp? Which are geared more toward SINAD numbers vs power. Which have DIY options or are DIY only?

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Is there a break down/summary of the basic differences between all the Purifi amps? The 1ET400A vs 1ET7040SA vs EVAL 1 vs this new/upcoming amp? Which are geared more toward SINAD numbers vs power. Which have DIY options or are DIY only?

From what Kim Madsen told me - mind you these were specs at the time, during development, and actual production batch numbers could be different - noise should be less than 8uV. So even lower than the newest products from Hypex. Not that it matters much at this point, these numbers are crazy low anyway.

Yes, the LA90 has even lower residual noise, but the power is also much much lower.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New 1ET9040BA amp to be shown at Munich High-End 2023, described as "high power amplifier with Second-Generation Eigentakt control and sub-ppm THD".

The 1ET7040SA module below already has excellent THD, and if my math is correct, the new 1ET9040BA should be below -120 dB THD! o_O Which is even more inaudible, but still, a crazy engineering accomplishment.

1ET7040SA.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi does make some great stuff. The 1ET9040 has now been delayed into 3rd quarter. So might be a while before you can get one. Depending on price vs existing offerings from Purifi and Hypex, will be interesting to see how it compares.:)

Holmz

Major Contributor
I am not sure I would ever need 90V.
Wouldn’t it be sonically better at some point to have a stereo, or 3 channel amp, and move the XO to be active?

I still like having some umph, and low noise… but the idea shaking the driver with a low damping factor, seems like it doesn’t work as well when the springy passive XO is in the way.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The fight whose distortion is inaudiblier begins

BergeHiFi

I got to hear the Purifi 1ET9040BA with their SPK16 demo speaker, and it was amazing!

The preliminary watts on the 1ET9040BA are:
400/8 ohm
800/4 ohm
1500/2 ohm (maybe a little bit under).

Probably the best system I have ever heard!
The preamp was Mola Mola Makua with a DAC board.

Attachments

• IMG_8820.jpeg
    IMG_8820.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_8818.jpeg
    IMG_8818.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_8816.jpeg
    IMG_8816.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_8810.jpeg
    IMG_8810.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 1,151

JohnnyNG

I got to hear the Purifi 1ET9040BA with their SPK16 demo speaker, and it was amazing!

The preliminary watts on the 1ET9040BA are:
400/8 ohm
800/4 ohm
1500/2 ohm (maybe a little bit under).

Probably the best system I have ever heard!
The preamp was Mola Mola Makua with a DAC board.
That must have been a blast! Look at my poor little ET400A in that pic. ;)

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see some red washers on screws on that purifi woofer, perhaps better damping

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom