• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product: Arvus H1-D

Littletycoon

They may be niche manufacturers, but they’re the best on the market. And the only way to use a top quality dac in an atmos setup as of today is with AES67. Because there isn’t a single AVP on the market today that has dacs even as good as what $200 can get you as a standalone dac. With AES67 you can use a Merging HAPI MK2 as the dac with 2 of the premium dac boards installed for 16 channels.

What use case is there for a hapi when someone already has active speakers? Why not just an Arvus h2-4d then iso h1d + hapi?

Positivevibrations

What use case is there for a hapi when someone already has active speakers? Why not just an Arvus h2-4d then iso h1d + hapi?
Depends on if the active speakers have AES67 inputs are not. If they do you would simply connect them to a switch, and the switch to the H1D. If they only have AES/EBU inputs you could use 1 of these on each speaker to bring in the AES67:

I’m not sure what the future looks like for the H2-4D. Because it uses the Dante Broadway chip. And Dante discontinued it last year.

Positivevibrations

I think an Arvus with AES3 instead of AES67 may interest many buyers.
That’s an old standard that AES67 is replacing. With AES67 you can do 256 channels up to PCM 24/384 over a single gigabit Ethernet cable. And they all clock sync together via the PTPv2 precision clocking protocol. It’s light years better.

Littletycoon

Depends on if the active speakers have AES67 inputs are not. If they do you would simply connect them to a switch, and the switch to the H1D. If they only have AES/EBU inputs you could use 1 of these on each speaker to bring in the AES67:

I’m not sure what the future looks like for the H2-4D. Because it uses the Dante Broadway chip. And Dante discontinued it last year.
I've looked into those avio converters. But they limit sample rate for the whole set up to 48khz don't they? These ones named Qarion would have been ideal (if a software solution apparently does not work), but are vaporware.

The big challenge for AES67 (Ravenna) is product availability, Dante is miles ahead in that respect.

Positivevibrations

I've looked into those avio converters. But they limit sample rate for the whole set up to 48khz don't they? These ones named Qarion would have been ideal (if a software solution apparently does not work), but are vaporware.

The big challenge for AES67 (Ravenna) is product availability, Dante is miles ahead in that respect.
You’re limited to 48khz with any Dante product and the HD1 anyways. Yes I agree. Dante also has Dante AV. Which allows mixing in 4k60 video in with the audio on the network.

Any systems I develop either use 100% Dante or 100% Ravenna. I won’t mix and match. I haven’t been able to use AES67 compatibility mode without the occasional pop or crackle. And that’s using a Cisco switch both Merging and Dante recommends. With all the settings tweaks optimized. If a reliable way is possible, I haven’t experienced it.

OP
D

David4545

You’re limited to 48khz with any Dante product and the HD1 anyways. Yes I agree. Dante also has Dante AV. Which allows mixing in 4k60 video in with the audio on the network.

Any systems I develop either use 100% Dante or 100% Ravenna. I won’t mix and match. I haven’t been able to use AES67 compatibility mode without the occasional pop or crackle. And that’s using a Cisco switch both Merging and Dante recommends. With all the settings tweaks optimized. If a reliable way is possible, I haven’t experienced it.

I was hoping compatibility mode would be 100% reliable. Bummer.

Littletycoon

For AES67 (Ravenna) do all switches in the network need to support ptp (if you wish to use ptp switches, it's not mandatory), or only the switches to which the AES67 components are connected?

smaaax

You can’t use Via in AES67 compatibility mode. AES67 compatibility mode only works with hardware to hardware connections. And even if you could, the Async reclocker in the usb interface would throw the clocks out of sync.
I had been waiting to see how this Arvus would develop before getting a Vanitypro to pair with my Okto Dac8 pro since the decoding would allow way more flexibility. Based on this, routing AES67 through my PC to the USB Okto wouldn't work then, and the Vanitypro or another AES/EBU option to the Okto would be my only choice? The Arvus H2-4D seems a bit pricey as an alternative.

Positivevibrations

I had been waiting to see how this Arvus would develop before getting a Vanitypro to pair with my Okto Dac8 pro since the decoding would allow way more flexibility. Based on this, routing AES67 through my PC to the USB Okto wouldn't work then, and the Vanitypro or another AES/EBU option to the Okto would be my only choice? The Arvus H2-4D seems a bit pricey as an alternative.
Honestly I’d sell the okto as you can probably fetch close to what you paid on the used marketplace. And just buy a Merging Hapi MK2. You're not going to find a multichannel Ravenna to AES/EBU box for probably under $3000. Better off with a clean 1 box solution.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Honestly I’d sell the okto as you can probably fetch close to what you paid on the used marketplace. And just buy a Merging Hapi MK2. You're not going to find a multichannel Ravenna to AES/EBU box for probably under $3000. Better off with a clean 1 box solution.
Agree but............under $3000? With the DACs?

Positivevibrations

Agree but............under $3000? With the DACs?
Yeah $3000 is probably a bit on the low side. This box can convert Ravenna to 16 channels of AES/EBU for $5198:

Plus another $1931 for the Ravenna card:

A bit overkill, but don’t know of any other options at the moment.

Bulldogger

I do hope it will have other ip control opportunities, not just Crestron, Crestron is way too expensive. Adding cec support to control volume would be a game changer (really no option to leave it out with an earc hdmi port). Cec to support Hdmi switching (aggregate multiple hdmi inputs before the arvus) would also be an use case. Also hope Dirac support is still in as mentioned in another thread, no mention anymore on the webpage. I would strongly prefer this above a jbl sdp, if volume control would be less barebones as it now seems to be.
I use Kramer Control. It's a lot cheaper than Crestron. Typically, with companies they just say it's Crestron compatible as marketing because they are one of the biggest names. However, with the control protocol, Kramer or anyone else can easily write a control driver. For Kramer, you just need the hardware, the SL-240c or the SL280 and a programmer or become one yourself.

If you think about it, a prepro is really just a bunch of different hardware, video switcher, decoders, volume control, all inside one box. I don't care if the components are contained within a box. With the right control platform, you can make all of the external devices function the same as prepro. Touch one button on your cell phone and get a preset volume, video switching, etc. It's very easy to do this with Kramer or of course Crestron.

smaaax

Thanks for the input. There are so few digital options in this arena and none of them seem perfect. Makes me reconsider an old fashioned preamp...

Top Bottom