• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product: Arvus H1-D

Positivevibrations

Another aspect of this box that shouldn’t be overlooked is the Sony360 spatial sound decoding. The only way to get spatial sound out of a PlayStation is by being able to decode Sony360 spatial audio. Sony does not use Atmos. And before this box the only way to decode Sony360 spatial audio was with a Sony AVR. And then you’re forced to use their built in mediocre dacs and amps. This is the only box that will allow uncompromised Sony360 spatial sound by allowing you to use SOTA DAC’s and amps such as a Merging Hapi MK2 and Hypex NCx500 amps with Sony spatial audio.

Edit: I see Sony360 was added to some AVR’s from Marantz, Denon and 1 from Mcintosh. Also the Amazon fire cube added it as an output option when streaming from Amazon music.

Still none of those AVR’s have DAC’s in them even close as good as a Merging Hapi MK2, or amps close to the Hypex NCx500.

Last edited:

Positivevibrations

Would be ideal for my plan: 12 genelec smart ip speakers for surrounds, Grimm active speakers F/L connected by usb from PC. I hook up the PC as my streamer to the Arvus hmdi in, tv to the earc out, pick up the decoded audio from the Arvus on my pc with either Ravenna/Dante and route it to the speakers. Fully digital until conversion in the speakers. If you wish only non speaker hardware required is this Arvus, say a NUC sized computer and network switch (and ethernet cables off course, but those are thinner and cheaper than audio cables). So much more practical and cheaper.
You can’t mix and match USB input devices with AES67 devices. Impossible to achieve clock sync.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another aspect of this box that shouldn’t be overlooked is the Sony360 spatial sound decoding. The only way to get spatial sound out of a PlayStation is by being able to decode Sony360 spatial audio. Sony does not use Atmos. And before this box the only way to decode Sony360 spatial audio was with a Sony AVR. And then you’re forced to use their built in mediocre dacs and amps. This is the only box that will allow uncompromised Sony360 spatial sound by allowing you to use SOTA DAC’s and amps such as a Merging Hapi MK2 and Hypex NCx500 amps with Sony spatial audio.

Sony is introducing native Atmos encoding with the next firmware update to the PS5. It's already in beta:

Positivevibrations

Sony is introducing native Atmos encoding with the next firmware update to the PS5. It's already in beta:

That’s great news! However it should be noted that all of Sony’s games will only be encoded with Sony360. So in order to enjoy them in spatial sound you must be able to decode it.

ban25

That’s great news! However it should be noted that all of Sony’s games will only be encoded with Sony360. So in order to enjoy them in spatial sound you must be able to decode it.
Sony "360 Reality Audio" is just their marketing name for MPEG-H Part 3 (ISO 23008-3). Similar to how Sony used to brand IEEE-1394 Firewire as "i.LINK". All manufacturers should support it out of the box as of 2023.

Positivevibrations

Sony "360 Reality Audio" is just their marketing name for MPEG-H Part 3 (ISO 23008-3). Similar to how Sony used to brand IEEE-1394 Firewire as "i.LINK". All manufacturers should support it out of the box as of 2023

It’s based on MPEG-H, but will you simply be able to set the AVP to MPEG-H and the output on the PS5 to 360 and it will work?

Also as of today, all of the AES67 compatible processors do not support MPEG-H. Storm Audio, Lyngdorf, JBL, and Trinnov. Industry support is mostly for the stripped down soundbar version.

Littletycoon

You can’t mix and match USB input devices with AES67 devices. Impossible to achieve clock sync.
I don't think i really follow (my lack of knowledge). With Dante, Dante Via can act as the clock master, with Via you can also bridge/link decoded Dante channels (input) to other output sound devices (e.g. in my case a virtual usb sound card from the manufacturer of my L/R speakers, I assume must then work). I suppose this functionality is also available for AES67?

Positivevibrations

I don't think i really follow (my lack of knowledge). With Dante, Dante Via can act as the clock master, with Via you can also bridge/link decoded Dante channels (input) to other output sound devices (e.g. in my case a virtual usb sound card from the manufacturer of my L/R speakers, I assume must then work). I suppose this functionality is also available for AES67?
You can’t use Via in AES67 compatibility mode. AES67 compatibility mode only works with hardware to hardware connections. And even if you could, the Async reclocker in the usb interface would throw the clocks out of sync.

ban25

It’s based on MPEG-H, but will you simply be able to set the AVP to MPEG-H and the output on the PS5 to 360 and it will work?

Also as of today, all of the AES67 compatible processors do not support MPEG-H. Storm Audio, Lyngdorf, JBL, and Trinnov. Industry support is mostly for the stripped down soundbar version.
It should if you have a source that outputs that format (maybe Tidal with 360RA tracks, will have to check). Currently the PS5 outputs 7.1 PCM.

Those are all niche AVP manufacturers with low volumes and limited resources. I think only the JBL SDP-58 even has HDMI 2.1 hardware?

mumford

It should if you have a source that outputs that format (maybe Tidal with 360RA tracks, will have to check). Currently the PS5 outputs 7.1 PCM.

Those are all niche AVP manufacturers with low volumes and limited resources. I think only the JBL SDP-58 even has HDMI 2.1 hardware?
HDFury 8K VRROOM has HDMI 2.1.

Positivevibrations

They may be niche manufacturers, but they’re the best on the market. And the only way to use a top quality dac in an atmos setup as of today is with AES67. Because there isn’t a single AVP on the market today that has dacs even as good as what $200 can get you as a standalone dac. With AES67 you can use a Merging HAPI MK2 as the dac with 2 of the premium dac boards installed for 16 channels.

ban25

They may be niche manufacturers, but they’re the best on the market. And the only way to use a top quality dac in an atmos setup as of today is with AES67. Because there isn’t a single AVP on the market today that has dacs even as good as what $200 can get you as a standalone dac. With AES67 you can use a Merging HAPI MK2 as the dac with 2 of the premium dac boards installed.

We'll agree to disagree and I'll see my way out of this thread.

Positivevibrations

Out of 59 AVP’s measured on ASR. Best SINAD is 103.
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg

Merging HAPI MK2 with DA8P DAC SINAD= 116
IMG_0050.jpeg

Positivevibrations

Those specs are even, at least on paper, better than the new RME 32 channel DAC with Dante

Yes beats it in SINAD by 9dB. But need to keep in mind when using Dante compatibility mode it’s limited to 24/48PCM. And AES67 compatibility mode is a PITA. The switch needs setup in a special configuration. And even then I’ve experienced less stability than sticking to either all Ravenna or all Dante. For example you must use multicast mode. Where you could use unicast mode with a single device if you stick to 1 format. Which is more stable.
IMG_0051.jpeg

mumford

I have always been a big fan of RME because of its bomb-proof reliability. But, I think I will do Merging/aes67 if I am going to build an system around an Arvus.

Top Bottom