• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali IN-5 for $700 vs. used Genelec 8020A for $650?

threefour

Let's pretend you're planning to buy studio monitors and have narrowed your search to these two. Which would you buy?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec (because I did buy one 8020B used for 110€, and not a Kali yet). Waiting for an opportunity to buy a second one.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure the Kali wins in terms of bass/output. I would do the Kali but neither are bad choices.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
When a brand new pair of 8020Ds can be had for $1070, 650 for the old 8020As made from 2005-2009 is not exactly what I'd call a smoking deal. And Genelecs are a tad expensive in the 'States to begin with.

Distortion wise, the IN-5 wins in the 50-100 Hz region, but it can't do <0.5% above 100 Hz at 85/86 dB... this level isn't reached until ~300 Hz. Now being a 3-way may well make up for this in IMD terms. In any case the 8020 will need a sub if you expect substantial amounts of bass out of it, as common sense would dictate. The Kali will run fullrange more easily.

Anti-Climacus

Hello all and sorry to intrude to another member's thread like that, but I find myself in a similar position. For the past 18 months, I have used the Adam T5V mostly for music listening, movies e.t.c. but thinking currently to "upgrade" by purchasing either Kali IN-5 or Genelec 8030C, both probably new. I am generally satisfied with the Adams (save perhaps for the excessive HF energy in some recordings and the lack of sub-bass) but still curious about the possible advantages of a coaxial, 3-way design like Kali or the superior FR and construction quality of Genelec speakers.

Would either of them be an actual upgrade? If the answer is yes, which of the 2 would suit better a ~4 X 3.5 meters room with minimal acoustical treatment but with EQ being applied (if needed)? Would it be a better choice to save some money and spend 400-500 euros on an Adam sub so as to extend the low-end?

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Kali. The 8020 is profoundly underpowered by comparison. Plus, 3 way vs 2 way, IMD will almost always be lower in the 3 way all other things being equal.

Hello all and sorry to intrude to another member's thread like that, but I find myself in a similar position. For the past 18 months, I have used the Adam T5V mostly for music listening and other recreational activities (so to say!) but thinking currently to "upgrade" by purchasing either Kali IN-5 or Genelec 8030, both probably new. I am generally satisfied with the Adams (save perhaps for the excessive HF energy in some recordings and the lack of sub bass) but still curious about the possible advantages of a coaxial, 3-way design like Kali or the superior FR response and construction quality of Genelec speakers.

Would either of them be an actual upgrade? If the answer is yes, which of the 2 would suit better a 4 X 3.5 meters room with minimal acoustical treatment but with EQ being applied if needed? Would it be a better choice to save some money and spend 400-500 euros on an Adam sub so as to extend the low-end?
I think you'd be happy with either, though I think I would consider spending a couple hundred extra on IN-8s in your situation.

Anti-Climacus

I think you'd be happy with either, though I think I would consider spending a couple hundred extra on IN-8s in your situation.

Hm, I have thought of that but I am afraid the IN-8s will be too big if not for the room, surely in a desktop situation where I intend to use them (and forgot to mention). Even the IN-5s seem a little bit oversized for that kind of application. Worth noting that I listen to the T5V currently at about 1 m. and will most likely never exceed the 1.5 mark with either Genelec or Kali. But I would surely welcome the extra headroom and perhaps lower distortion of a bigger woofer and cabinet.

So many variables one has to consider in order to make the right decision!

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First of all a pair of Kali IN-8s is only $100 more than a pair of IN-5s. Second they aren't dramatically different in size with both measuring the same depth and the IN-8 <2" wider and <3" taller.

Top Bottom