• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral, low-budget closed-back headphones?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Could I get a few suggestions for work headphones?

Because of my company's IT policy I don't have access to software beyond Windows Media Player and Youtube. So no EQ programs to help beyond the coarse DTS equalization offered in HP laptops.

My budget's around $200. I'm looking for a neutral signature if possible and a durable build. JDS Atom will be driving them.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No EQ? That stinks. Give the NAD HP50 a try. They are about as neutral as you can get, but the comfort doesn't work for everyone.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Depends who you ask:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k371

Surely you have heard of the MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-7506

Some would say harsh and bright, others would say deadpan neutral, other would say very revealing in the mids at the expense of neutrality. I’ve had one pair for something over 30 years, and I have another pair, with soft comfy Beyer DT-250 pads, probably at the expense of some SQ. They were very exciting when they first came out in the 80s, a new benchmark for SQ to price ratio. Now, I just don’t know who to believe about what’s neutral in a headphone. They get a very solid “good enough for Steve” (i.e., “better than nothing“) seal of approval from me.

If you get the MDR-V6s, do not, I repeat DO NOT take the “FOR DIGITAL” stickers off. Just don’t. They are there for a reason. Seriously. And if you get a pair of 7506s, DO NOT take the ”PROFESSIONAL” stickers off. This is really extremely important.

And if you have some time to kill you can delve into one of the great mysteries of the universe—what is the difference between the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You've tried them previously?
I use the HD 598 SR open headphones. I can wear them for several hours or more, they fit very comfy and the velour pads are dry and not sweaty. They are very light on the head but don't fall off or feel loose. One can forget they are even there.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends who you ask:

Some would say harsh and bright, others would say deadpan neutral, other would say very revealing in the mids at the expense of neutrality. I’ve had one pair for something over 30 years, and I have another pair, with soft comfy Beyer DT-250 pads, probably at the expense of some SQ. They were very exciting when they first came out in the 80s, a new benchmark for SQ to price ratio. Now, I just don’t know who to believe about what’s neutral in a headphone. They get a very solid “good enough for Steve” (i.e., “better than nothing“) seal of approval from me.

If you get the MDR-V6s, do not, I repeat DO NOT take the “For Digital” stickers off. Just don’t. Seriously. And if you get a pair of 7506s, DO NOT take the ”PROFESSIONAL” sticker off. This is really extremely important.

And if you have some time to kill you can delve into one of the great mysteries of the universe—what is the difference between the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506?
I used to retail the Sonys. They are nice, built well and fit well but they don't compare to the AKG or Sennheiser of the time. They also need velour pads. They have that Japan midrange sound.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Depends who you ask:

If you get the MDR-V6s, do not, I repeat DO NOT take the “FOR DIGITAL” stickers off. Just don’t. They are there for a reason. Seriously. And if you get a pair of 7506s, DO NOT take the ”PROFESSIONAL” sticker off. This is really extremely important.

From my sig ;) Work: JDS Labs Atom—Sony MDR-7506

Sonarworks

I like them a lot, and used them for a decade. I'm looking for a change.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
From my sig ;)Work: JDS Labs Atom—Sony MDR-7506

Sonarworks

I like them a lot, and used them for a decade. I'm looking for a change.

Ah—well, um, the AKG-K371s? :p

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I originally thought of buying planars, and recently tried the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed. Nice sound, not cheap, flimsy construction and incredibly irritating instructions printed on the main insert to let them burn-in for 50 to 100 hours.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I originally thought of buying planars, and recently tried the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed. Nice sound, not cheap, flimsy construction and incredibly irritating instructions printed on the main insert to let them burn-in for 50 to 100 hours.
They certainly have the looks though. I would be interested just based on looks.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The K371's are not exactly neutral as they follow the Harmon target. The neutral monitoring version is supposed to be the K361, which I have not tried. Guitar Center and Sweetwater have some offers for them I think as they BT version is on its way.

That said, I have the K371's, they sound excellent off the Atom and KTB. Very listenable/ enjoyable / non-fatiguing for multi hour sessions at work.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
They certainly have the looks though. I would be interested just based on looks.
The pics look better than the real thing, to my eye. The case is beautifully made in that black, contoured minimal style and nice to the touch.

The Sennheiser HD820 case on the other hand is a low-grade wood box with a foam insert that can only hold the headphones when they are completely folded despite it being oversized. Decent paint job though. I tried them around the same time (used, at a steep discount). I'm edging towards keeping them.

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The K371's are not exactly neutral as they follow the Harmon target. The neutral monitoring version is supposed to be the K361, which I have not tried. Guitar Center and Sweetwater have some offers for them I think as they BT version is on its way.

That said, I have the K371's, they sound excellent off the Atom and KTB. Very listenable/ enjoyable / non-fatiguing for multi hour sessions at work.
K371: SoundStage, Oratory1990, RTings

K361: Oratory1990

Mmmmm all I can say is that I'll have to try.

Top Bottom