• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150, do you think vocals are fast?

sysfc6

I have a pair of Neumann KH 150. Do you think singing is fast?Is the rhythm of the human voice fast

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I have a pair of Neumann KH 150. Do you think singing is fast?Is the rhythm of the human voice fast
First time I’ve heard that of a speaker, but no, I don’t think any speaker changes the speed of vocals.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would it affect the "speed" or "rhythm"?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Not faster than the speaker can handle.

It's hard to figure out what you are asking.

Do you have examples of music or speech that doesn't seem to sound 'right?'

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just the singer's voice

Unless they are singing higher than 20kHz or so, it should be ok.

"In normal speech fo is typically between 100 to 220 hertz (Hz), or vibrations per second. In contrast, a soprano's fundamental frequency ranges anywhere from 250 to 1,500 Hz. The complicated motion of the vocal folds means that speech and singing also contain a series of harmonics—which are basically multiples of the frequency in question—with frequencies of 2fo, 3fo, 4fo, and so on."
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/expert-opera-singer/#:~:text=In normal speech,and so on.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably more a victim of the nonsense subjective comments many rely on elsewhere?
Plausible good-faith interpretation.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Just the singer's voice
Everything is the same speed-tempo. The vocals can't be faster than the music. A speaker doesn't change speed and when something changes the speed, the speed won't be noticeably off unless something is terribly wrong. (You can play a vinyl record at the wrong speed, etc.).

"Speed" when misapplied to speakers/headphones is typical audiophile nonsense... See Audiophoolery

boxerfan88

I have auditioned the KH150 before, it does not change the "speed".

Maybe OP confuse "human voice fast" with "detail" and "clarity" in the upper-mid/presence area.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have auditioned the KH150 before, it does not change the "speed".

Maybe OP confuse "human voice fast" with "detail" and "clarity" in the upper-mid/presence area.
Get something with good hi-hat work and push EQ at 3-4KHz.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In any way you might be thinking, the KH150 will tend to provide the correct "speed", because the frequency response is quite even.

Speed is a confusing term in speakers as you may have noticed from the replies. There isn't really any such thing as "speed" in speakers except (arguably, maybe) when it comes to very low bass from bad ported subwoofers that have a lot of excess group delay and/or resonance.

fragzone

Speed would refer to attack/decay surely. Not sure if that's a concept that may be true in reality (almost certainly), but practically imperceptible. In my understanding of it, it would be the speed at which a driver can overcome the momentum belonging to the currently played note to that of the next note.

radix

Major Contributor
Wouldn't this come down to the speaker's group delay?

Top Bottom