• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Network streamer, USB or I2S output? Feeding into Matrix Audio Sabre Pro.

dan_uk

I've just got myself a new DAC, Matrix Audio Sabre Pro and I'm looking at various network streamers to act as the Roon endpoint and feed my new DAC.

The Sabre Pro has an I2S input as well as USB, is I2S better than USB? Should I discard network streamers with only USB output and only consider streamers with I2S?

Thanks

sch8mid

Good One

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't think anything with i2s has ever been tested here? I was wondering about this myself as my new DAC can use it.
My smsl XUSB has the ability to output it as well.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I look forward to someone wasting their time testing this on a decent dac, both interfaces are capable of perfection, as ever quality is down to implementation.

zoomerland

I wasted time. I've had an Eversolo DMP A8 for 2 weeks and have been burning 24/7 driving via usb on my Pontis 2 12th dac and I am very happy with the purchase. I didn't intend to have the A8 be a transport, but of course I wanted to try the pair. So I decided this I2S thing is the next step.

Alvin Chee's videos are helpful, but still confusing. I could not get this combo to work after 10 hours of work. Combing through the web for audiophile experiences with I2S. I then contacted Eversolo and they sent me a spread sheet of compatible companies that use I2S with PS Audio's pinouts which the D8 could connect to. The Terminator 2 was listed as PS Audio incompatible.

IF Terminator 2 was not listed as PS audio compatible is this why Alvin is teaching us all these button pushes to configure a Denafrips Dac? Even with an ARCE? After reading Amir's findings in 2019 I pulled out the hdmi cables and put them back in storage.

For context, I'm a retired EE with many years with HP instrument R&D experience. I can even write code. I suppose I can spend another 10 hours to get this to work, but I'm losing hearing and the USB is pretty damn close to a new serial interface with data and clk separated. Back to enjoying the music.

If there is something you've done to get over this problem, please let me know!

regards, Zoomerland

Top Bottom