• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need your suggestion for setup stereo+HT

jamesyaol

Hi,

I decided to upgrade from the receiver ... to setup an audio system with mostly music (stereo 2.1) and some movie(5.1).
I have a media player (zidoo UHD3000) with a bad DAC module (very bad). It works fine as media player with HDMI/optical output.
I have C298 for L/R main speakers.
I bought 2 aiyima AMP to drive 2 small surrounding speaker and 1 center speaker.

Now, who can recommend a setting in the between so that I can have both good high quality music and occasionally I can do movie easily?
One setup is buy a topping stereo DAC and a cheap 5.1 DAC ... In this setup, I need to unplug/replug the AMP input source between 2 DAC every time I switch movie and music. Subwoofer has another issue too, I have to use AMP L or R channel RCA out for Subwoof's input, I think it is not perfect.
Any idea if there is an easy solution to meet music and movie both easily switching over?
Also, I really like to know how you guys setup for both HT+Stereo? AMP + Receiver is not an option for the living room has limited space.
thanks,

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I really like to know how you guys setup for both HT+Stereo?

I just use a good stereo for both, and don't worry about it, perhaps exposing my tendency toward Neo-Luddism.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't bother "separating" the systems, just use a good one for both uses. It's fairly easy to do unless you read too much "audiophile" bullshit.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Modern AVR like the Denon X3700H have gotten to the point where you can just drive everything from the internal DAC/amp with zero concerns about audio quality.

I know selling a <0.005 % THD $2000 amp seems silly, but even the best speakers in the world have distortion 2 orders of magnitude higher. What you really pay for is power. If you need less than 100 watts per speaker, an AVR is ideal.

hmscott

Hi,

I decided to upgrade from the receiver ... to setup an audio system with mostly music (stereo 2.1) and some movie(5.1).
I have a media player (zidoo UHD3000) with a bad DAC module (very bad). It works fine as media player with HDMI/optical output.
I have C298 for L/R main speakers.
I bought 2 aiyima AMP to drive 2 small surrounding speaker and 1 center speaker.

Now, who can recommend a setting in the between so that I can have both good high quality music and occasionally I can do movie easily?
One setup is buy a topping stereo DAC and a cheap 5.1 DAC ... In this setup, I need to unplug/replug the AMP input source between 2 DAC every time I switch movie and music. Subwoofer has another issue too, I have to use AMP L or R channel RCA out for Subwoof's input, I think it is not perfect.
Any idea if there is an easy solution to meet music and movie both easily switching over?
Also, I really like to know how you guys setup for both HT+Stereo? AMP + Receiver is not an option for the living room has limited space.
thanks,
Variations on a theme, build a good Stereo for Music, and then add the Surround Processor + AMP with 5 channels for Center, 2 side and 2 rear effects + powered sub signal source from Surround Processor.

Then pass through the 2 front effects through your Stereo Pre-amp as an AUX input, with AUX Stereo volume set to match the output of the 5-channel effects AMP output level.

I ran that way for many years in my Home Theater Family Room systems as dedicated Processors for Home Theater couldn't do Stereo to audiophile quality. Arguably they still cannot reach the level many require, but I think a nice Marantz or Yamaha would do nicely for all channel service, both Audiophile + HT, and many have a "HT processor "off" setting for Hifi Audio".

MusicCast Wireless Multi-Room Audio - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha USA
RX-S602 - Specs - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - United States - This one is new and nice and slim, about $500

AV Receivers • Audio Receivers | Marantz
NR1711 Hear the most musical sound from an elegantly slim profile. The Marantz NR1711 7.2ch 8K Ultra HD AV receiver drives immersive, high-fidelity audio from a compact chassis. AV Receivers | Marantz
NR1510 Hear the most musical sound from an elegant, slim profile. The Marantz NR1510 5.2ch 4K Ultra HD AV receiver drives elevated, high-fidelity audio from a compact chassis. AV Receivers | Marantz

My last was the Marantz 7705 AV pre-amp, I already had dual mono amps + a couple of 5-channel amps, and before that a couple of Lexicon CP-3 THX Dolby Surround Sound, before that CP-1/Plus(?)/CP-2. Various Stereo Pre-amps.

It looks like Lexicon hasn't been keeping up, but their last units RV-6, RV-9, MP-10 are available used - watch out as the used ones are likely past warranty, so I'd buy from a reputable dealer that offers a service contract with it. I really did prefer the old Cinema Processor without internal amps, but Lexicon stopped doing that series and went with aVR's.

The Marantz was good for Music too, but still, not audiophile quality if you have the speakers to stretch the upper bounds past what the AV hardware can provide. A not so very expensive Tube Hybrid Pre-amp can outperform the "best" AV Amps for Stereo audio joy.

If you can integrate the AV portion through your Stereo - run Pre-out from the AV receiver to your Stereo Pre-amp Aux utilizing your mains for audiophile music listening, and you may find the AV receiver does a good enough job on music too.

At least that is how it worked for me building out my Home Theater systems. :)

Last edited:
OP
J

jamesyaol

Thanks for all ideas. My original intention is spend most on music and save most on TH(AV), now it seems go nowhere especially only me in the family can plug/unplug AMP+Subwoofer to make it work :(.

I think, the best solution is marantz av preamp, 7706 CAD$2500(or 7705 which is best only $900). It has the direct out and Hi Res(or hifi) quality.
Looking at my design, I found I did not save much ...
HD915 decoder for 5.1 -> $120
will buy Topping DAC -> $800
I think I will go 7705 if I can find one.

Any more idea is welcome.... I also like to know your choice and setup. so many guys simply choose 2 separate systems. But ladies hate the living room is stacked too much boxes. Another reason I wont do AVR because I do not want to bind myself to its "wireless speaker" solution and my solution is
2 cheap class D amp: $150*2
1 pair of Audio transmitter: $120
Any good AVR will go more than $2500 to have a direct out L/R. So many 7.2 11.2 ... which is kind of waste because I think 5.1 is maximum to my living room. By the way, I like to share my surrounding speaker which is from old Bose satellite speakers (each is 3"*2) ... Cute, small and loud enough in the hiding cornor :)

raton78

Hello jamesyaol,

i tried to achieve the same goal as yours. I ended-up with the following configuration, and am pretty happy with it (even if i still have some improvements to do :)).

For the stereo configuration I have:
- a dac/pre (SMSL-SU9) connected to a purifi EVAL1 amp through a XLR source selector.

For the HT configuration I have
- an old DC2 lexicon connected to :
- the XLR source selector (and then the EVAL1) for the L/R fronts speakers
- a PURIFI EVAL2 (monoblock) for the center speaker
- 2 stereos amps for the rear and side speakers

After many try/fail setups I ended up with a source selector which was the easy way to combine both stereo and HT configurations and it's pretty easy to use.

OP
J

jamesyaol

Hi raton,
Thanks for your post. How will you resolve input for subwoofer?
subwoofer took L/R direct rca (it will always have signal)out from amp on stereo, in ht, it should take subwoofer out.
Audio selector for subwoofer will not work for HT, All input has singal.

hmscott

Thanks for all ideas. My original intention is spend most on music and save most on TH(AV), now it seems go nowhere especially only me in the family can plug/unplug AMP+Subwoofer to make it work :(.

I think, the best solution is marantz av preamp, 7706 CAD$2500(or 7705 which is best only $900). It has the direct out and Hi Res(or hifi) quality.
Looking at my design, I found I did not save much ...
HD915 decoder for 5.1 -> $120
will buy Topping DAC -> $800
I think I will go 7705 if I can find one.

Any more idea is welcome.... I also like to know your choice and setup. so many guys simply choose 2 separate systems. But ladies hate the living room is stacked too much boxes. Another reason I wont do AVR because I do not want to bind myself to its "wireless speaker" solution and my solution is
2 cheap class D amp: $150*2
1 pair of Audio transmitter: $120
Any good AVR will go more than $2500 to have a direct out L/R. So many 7.2 11.2 ... which is kind of waste because I think 5.1 is maximum to my living room. By the way, I like to share my surrounding speaker which is from old Bose satellite speakers (each is 3"*2) ... Cute, small and loud enough in the hiding cornor :)
Well, if you keep the speaker sizes small to start. Start with the Stereo setup, watch movies together so as to hear what it sounds like without the Sub / Center speakers.

Here's a bit more on how I built out my Surround Systems over the years...

Then posit what it would sound like with Center speaker. That will be a big improvement. If that gets a positive vote try it and add that HT channel to the processor config, and enjoy.

Then posit if we are missing anything without the Sub - yes you already have one so perhaps you are already at this point. But, if it isn't hooked up, it will be a good time to "run the wires" to get it behind you for the "earth-quake effect" Most Sub's aren't designed to be paired for Stereo service, so whatever you have now will be the "earth-quake" giver. Yes, if it's earth-quake effect is weak it will be a good reason to upgrade that channel later too.

At this point it would help to further enlist the wife's help in deciding where to put surround speakers. Point to the sides, rear, and if that goes smoothly, point up at the upper effects - if that gets a "you've got to be kidding" then don't push it right then. Never push the point, you may "win", and actually "lose". :)

Once you have 7.1 going, work up to the earth-shaking speakers/subs (stereo pair up front, earth shaker(s) in back/sides).

By then HT dealers will be open again, you can visit for a demo of the ATMOS or other 9/11/? setups high effects.

There are lots of physically small HT Surround speakers that can "do the job", and then build in your Stereo pair - which won't get much use in HT BTW, if you don't know that yet...and then build up on each HT Surround as great "sales" occur.

HT/AV processors can also use surround/effects speakers in "music modes" that will bring in the effects (non-stereo speakers) for enjoyable audio listening, if not "accurate" audiophile listening. So it "pays" to put in audiophile-grade surrounds.

Building slowly isn't only for the Wife/Kids/Roommates, it helps you look around and find what you really want instead of rushing out and buying a "load" of an HT package. While it is true that today the "good stuff" is available as a pre-grouped kit, you might find better deals on the used market or get pieces on sale or open box.

Best Buy Magnolia and other shops have good open box/trade-in sales from time to time, during normal operations. If you let them know what you are looking for they can help find you what you want at a discount.

Please let us know what you build out as you go. :)

Last edited:

raton78

Hi raton,
Thanks for your post. How will you resolve input for subwoofer?
subwoofer took L/R direct rca (it will always have signal)out from amp on stereo, in ht, it should take subwoofer out.
Audio selector for subwoofer will not work for HT, All input has singal.

That's right i forgot the sub! My sub (rel t7i) allows to connect both to the front amp and to LFE channel on the lexicon.
I don't know if there is any other sub with such feature.

OP
J

jamesyaol

Update :)
DAC topping 70s($850) for stereo and H951BT($110) for HT is my choice. I bought H951BT first and it arrives later than Topping from local.
I am very satisfied for both. The cable switch is done by the remote power switch. So, if I want HT, I need to push on button on remote power switch to turn on "center" and "surronding" and "audio transmitter". Plus, I need to the amplifier switch from balanced to RCA.
H951BT is surprisingly good. Sometimes I forgot to switch and I fail to notice until I hear some voice from center... If I switch to 2ch in H951BT, I will not pass the blind test to tell which one is working. But some DSD format is not supported and only Topping can deal.
My setup is not completed yet. The audio transmitter from 3CShop alibaba does not work and it is a nightmare to deal with that seller. So I still have no surrounding yet.
I upgrade the center with a better AMP and speaker. Center speaker is so important and it improves a lot on HT experience.

Basically for the future readers who looks for idea of HT, I will recommend H951BT and you may save some money on HIFI DAC.
The subwoofer has 2 input. one comes from H951BT SW output. another comes from Amplifier L/R line out (I merged them into one) I tested it has few difference if I use L or R only.
Any suggestion and advise is more than welcome.

Top Bottom