• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice Streamer/DAC

Hey all first post here

I am looking to add a streaming device and DAC to my main system (Audio Note Soro SE -> Audio Note AN-E) for use with Roon.

Looking to keep the total cost under $1000 for the pair if possible. Please shoot me some suggestions to look into.

Thanks for any advice / help

Brendan

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Smsl sd-9
Smsl m400

OP
Brendan.Harris
SMSL m400 looks interesting but blows the budget unfortunately. Still... worth keeping an eye on.

cheers

OP
Brendan.Harris
CXN V2 reviews well too but like the SMSL m400 blows the budget.

I get the feeling the budget may have to be stretched...

Cheers for the suggestion

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you're ok with used hardware, Roon can use the old Squeezebox devices as players. Most (all?) of them have digital outputs so you can add a better DAC if you like.

OP
Brendan.Harris
Squeezebox I had forgotten all about those... Didn't they stop making them a decade ago?

Would probably prefer to steer away from older equip if possible.

Thank you for the suggestion though

OP
Brendan.Harris
Would be curious to know more about the ifi zen stream if anyone has any experience?

Some say it is excellent others say it is broken? Not sure what to think about this unit?

rfernand

You may end up pleasantly surprised with the Pro Ject Pre Box S2 and the Stream Box S2. Fairly compact (wall warts, thou). No issues at all with Roon. DSD/MQA if you need them. Quiet headphone out should you be so inclined.

OP
Brendan.Harris
More good options to look into thank you guys.

Like a snob I have tended to dismiss project in the past but it may be time to re-evaluate what they produce.

The Matrix mini was on my radar but I have been unable to find many people with first hand experience living with one and auditioning one in Tasmania is a non-starter.

Thanks again for the suggestions

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Squeezebox I had forgotten all about those... Didn't they stop making them a decade ago?
Time flies - it was almost a decade ago! Since then it's been used or diy hardware, although Polyvection have started selling inexpensive if slightly limited compatible devices. The Digi32 is the one with digital outputs but hasn't made it to market yet, and there are probably better options.

Top Bottom