• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NCore NC502MP or NCorex NCx500. Any audible difference to the human ear?

Krillin

I have just sold my beloved McIntosh multichannel amplifier. I loved it but the mains voltage is so dirty anything with a Toroid transformer buzzes in my house. Next up on my priority list is to purchase a replacement amplifier for my front channels.

The NCorex is clearly a the superior amplifier to the NC502MP. However, would this superiority be noticeable to human ears? The THD+Noise increase seems substantial enough of a difference in the first watt of power along with the cleaner power supply.

I consider my speakers to be well designed. Accuton Cell, Seas Excel, Scanspeak Revelator & Illuminator and Dynaudio based systems.

Thanks

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I have just sold my beloved McIntosh multichannel amplifier. I loved it but the mains voltage is so dirty anything with a Toroid transformer buzzes in my house. Next up on my priority list is to purchase a replacement amplifier for my front channels.

The NCorex is clearly a the superior amplifier to the NC502MP. However, would this superiority be noticeable to human ears? The THD+Noise increase seems substantial enough of a difference in the first watt of power along with the cleaner power supply.

I consider my speakers to be well designed. Accuton Cell, Seas Excel, Scanspeak Revelator & Illuminator and Dynaudio based systems.

Thanks
Amir measured the 8-channel NC502MP amp from Buckeye Amps and commented 'Even with music, I think you will be fine but the purist may want to have better.'

I think I would have difficulty hearing a difference between the NC502MP and the NCx500 modules.

Chaos01

Hello, i asked me the same Question.
Go with a Eigentakt or NCx500 module for ~1090€ (Apollon p.e.)
or keep calm and save Money with the NC502mp for ~700€ (Audiophonics). Or save even more money with a NC252mp...
With Amir's other comment for the Buckeye "Not a bad compromise considering the fact that running out of power is quite audible and rise in distortion probably not."
i decidet to stay calm and ordered the NC502mp, the golden mid. I will let you know if i will be fine with it or not.

How ended your decision and expiriences?

Last edited:

GaryY

Forum Donor
I bought purify amplifier. My interest was not that much about noise or linearity, but quality, longevity and heat dissipation.

Top Bottom