• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 V2 to drive Magnepan ,7 ?

JGQC

Hi, I would like a streamer+DAC with room correction. I have an opportunity if bought before this Friday to get a M10 V2 at a very good price so even though I already have a Class D amp driving the Magnepan (600W in 4 ohm) I was wondering if anyone has experience with the NAD and if it can drive the Maggies properly on its own? Thanks for your help.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

The Hypex NC252MP inside the NAD 10 should be able to drive the Maggies with ease.

OP
J

JGQC

Thank you very much NTK! I could also get the C399 for the same price, aesthetics aside, would you buy more one than the other (more power on the C399)?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The M10 comes standard with Dirac Live room EQ. You'll need to get the optional module for the C 399 to get Dirac Live (and BlueOS).

Room EQ (and subwoofer integration) is the most effective means of getting the best sound into your room. If the C 399 doesn't come with Dirac, go for the M10.

OP
J

JGQC

I should have mentioned it, yes the BluOS module is included at the same price. I would not buy without Dirac.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the C 399 uses an older Hypex NCore 400OEM module (same that was used on M22, Stereophile measurements). It seems the NC400OEM can output higher power into 4 ohms than the NC252MP in the M10 (~400 W vs ~300 W, 1% THD), but has slightly poorer THD+N performance.

I am pretty confident that both will work just fine.

OP
J

JGQC

Thanks NTK, I went with the M10 V2 and yes there is enough power, at least for me (I don't really listen above 90db). Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: NTK

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks NTK, I went with the M10 V2 and yes there is enough power, at least for me (I don't really listen above 90db). Thanks again for your help!
Very much appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

ninanina

Magnepan quotes that a high current amp is required to drive Maggies. My simple test to see if a particular amp is ‘high current’ is whether the amps output doubles for a 4 ohm load…ie. If an amps output is 100w into an 8 ohm load and it doubles to 200w into a 4 ohm load it’s considered ‘high current’

The NAD you mentioned states 160w into 8 ohm and 300w into 4 ohm.. ok not quite double but close enough

I use a Mark Levinson No. 383 integrated to drive my Maggie MG.7’s. Quoted specs for the 383 are: 100w into 8 ohms and 200w (minimum) into 4 ohms

Even so the volume control has to be turned up quite high to drive the Maggies. I’ve just added a DWM bass panel to the mix which adds additional load…

Maggies simply soak up the power of any amp!

OP
J

JGQC

You are right ninanina, it works but there is not much overhead with some material like classical music, even more so with Dirac activated. Yes the Maggies are hungry ...

ninanina

You are right ninanina, it works but there is not much overhead with some material like classical music, even more so with Dirac activated. Yes the Maggies are hungry ...
I know exactly what you mean JGQC about overhead. I have no idea what the max number is on the 383 volume but I’m currently at about 46’ish. I guess if it goes to 99/100 then I’ve got some more juice in it

However I don’t listen at very high volumes

After using SET 300b amps for a while with just 8w, but into extremely sensitive speakers, the Maggies are an eye opener

I will never change my current setup though,

Top Bottom