• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD 658 Competitors???

RoyB

Forum Donor
Is there any other components on the market that do all that the NAD 658 does?

Streamer
DIRAC
Ethernet

Wi-fi
Bluetooth version Two-way aptX HD
Inputs Optical, coaxial, USB, phono, RCA inputs
Outputs Unbalanced and balanced RCA outputs
Hi-res 32-bit/192kHz

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Altough Cambridge Audio clearly stated that the seperates do sound better. and that the all in one box is more of a lifestyle thing.

MarsianC#

One could take a look at miniDSP's SHD. Measures at least ok ;)
BT and Phono might be a deal breaker for you.

OP
R

RoyB

Forum Donor
I have a Mini DSP HD...too much if a science fair project and once you add DIRAC the cost is over $500.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
My C658 has seen improved stability since the early days. Not perfect, but liveable. Once or twice a month I have to deactivate the wifi connection and turn it back on. Optical cable sometimes takes a few attempts to sync with my CD player (it sometimes pops and clicks during the first few attempts of the day but then it works). I don't know if the CD player or the C658 is to blame... Annoying and inexcusable, but completely usable. My sub outputs are fine.

There was also some retuning of the DAC at some point and the self-noise in my sample was greatly reduced based on unscientific testing by turning up the volume and listening for noise during quiet/silent passages.

Between the tone controls, sub outputs, streaming, BluOS connectivity for distributed audio, optional HDMI input/output, and Dirac Live it's a one of a kind box and I still recommend it... Despite feeling some resentment at NAD for their shoody engineering and QC.

Do I wish it measured better and worked flawlessly? Of course! Do I wish it was $1000 less fully loaded with HDMI? Yes.

But most importantly, when paired with my M2s does it still manage to produce stunning music that can captivate me for hours with incredible convenience and ease of use? Yes.

mike70

I have a Mini DSP HD...too much if a science fair project and once you add DIRAC the cost is over $500.

That kind of "all in one" device it's very convenient, i know, but when you have that level of hardware / software integration ... it's complicated. Many bugs, software updates with broken features, ...

I'm more prone to separate things: a streaming device, a good dac and a good hardware with dirac or generic drc.
That means: raspberry pi with any streaming software (volumio, moode, ...), a pro interface for analog input and usb output and a minidsp nano digi, ddrc22(dirac) or opendrc-di (generic drc). With the minidsp devices you have remote control and volume control.

The dirac solution it's more expensive, but ... decisions ... decisions ...

Semla

I was considering a miniDSP SHD but ultimately settled on the NAD. In this price category these two are the only options for an all-in-one solution, as far as I could see. The local price was essentially the same when including the phone preamp the miniDSP would have required. No stability issues to report and it has a pretty decent interface (bluos app).
Edit: I also briefly looked at the Lyngdorf TDAI1120 (no sub out), NAD M 33 and the Trinnov Amethyst (different price class).

Last edited:
Top Bottom