• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Topping L30 II just "explode" being off, but connected to power (still works)

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
what is the difference between l30 and l30 II??
According to Topping:
E3E92F5E-D2FB-4C8F-8B67-9BE7E8EE2205.jpeg

SmokedBurger

Hello! to add on to this discussion, I also experienced random flashing of the power from my topping l30 ii and even once full loss of power for 10 seconds. I didn't really hear any loud explosion and smoke but I also noticed the same thing happening to my swans speakers connected to.., Yes! the surge protector! I had a spare fully working surge protector and that solved all the problems with my unit. I noticed the surge protector being defective with the red power light being hazy as is what happens when the fuse gets blown. This might have happened too with OP. Hope this removes your worries!

D

Deleted member 4708

Just as the title says.

I've had a Topping L30 II since a couple of months that I use sporadically connected to a Qudelix-5K on my desk and today I put my phone to charge in a wall outlet in the room (not where the Topping is connected), then after a couple of seconds, there was a very loud explosion along with a small flashing sparking above the Topping and short after that, smoke began to come out of the rear RCA inputs, but without any odour.

It should be noted that I have its power brick connected in a surge protector and everything that was plugged into it turned off after the explosion (including my pc and monitor), so I was pretty freaked out fearing the worst, but luckily everything turned on afterwards (including the L30 II), so I quickly unplugged the brick for a while to check what happened, but everything seems ok and the amp works perfectly when I plugged it back in.

However, I'm worried that this happened in the first place and if something has burned internally due to the incident, as it has never happened to me before and now I'm afraid that it will happen again and may damage the rest of my devices. :confused:

What could have happened and why did it happen to the Topping in particular instead of, I don't know, burning the surge protector fuse for example? Maybe a lack of protection in the design of the Topping?

Other considerations worth mentioning:

1) I've the amplifier with the RCA cables connected to the back (it's a 3.5mm to RCA cable), but the 3.5mm termination is always disconnected and laying on the desk mat, until I connect the Qudelix to it.
2) It is also very close to my PC, I don't know if that can affect anything, since both have metal enclosures (also, the PSU of the PC is very near to the Topping).

For now, I've unplugged it from the power and removed it from my desk.

Another day another Topping quality issue thread. Yet, here on ASR they are highly recommended.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another day another Topping quality issue thread. Yet, here on ASR they are highly recommended.
There are some of us that have attempted to steer away from Topping but there is such a strong customer base that are Topping fans. :D

Top Bottom