• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My end-game main home system

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Finishing my last house, in Bellingham, WA. Had to combine main living room and media room, but finally got a room without harsh modes. Glorious acoustics for a Linkwitz speaker setup which needs room interaction.

For now, still using my homemade, book-spine-wrapped subs to handle 20-35hz. These have high-excursion 9” scan-speak drivers and matching passive radiators. I plan to build shallow 15” subs with larger drivers at some point, in walnut plys and solids to match the shelves.

The system control unit is the RME on the bottom shelf, under which is a cable raceway. All the other electronics (roon server, amps, minidsp 8-channel flex for the Linkwitz crossovers) are in an adjoining space under the main stairwell. The little sealed subs are passive, connected with speaker wire to MiniDSP ICEpower amps. So, under the stairs, tucked out of ciew, are 10 channels of class D amplification, behind a wall built with isolation hat channel and isolation C-clips.

The TV is a 77” OLED, the one that presses nearly flat to the wall. I use the optical audio from that.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 387

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Finishing my last house, in Bellingham, WA. Had to combine main living room and media room, but finally got a room without harsh modes. Glorious acoustics for a Linkwitz speaker setup which needs room interaction.

For now, still using my homemade, book-spine-wrapped subs to handle 20-35hz. These have high-excursion 9” scan-speak drivers and matching passive radiators. I plan to build shallow 15” subs with larger drivers at some point, in walnut plys and solids to match the shelves.

The system control unit is the RME on the bottom shelf, under which is a cable raceway. All the other electronics (roon server, amps, minidsp 8-channel flex for the Linkwitz crossovers) are in an adjoining space under the main stairwell. The little sealed subs are passive, connected with speaker wire to MiniDSP ICEpower amps. So, under the stairs, tucked out of ciew, are 10 channels of class D amplification, behind a wall built with isolation hat channel and isolation C-clips.

The TV is a 77” OLED, the one that presses nearly flat to the wall. I use the optical audio from that.

It took me a moment to spot the 'book-spine-wrapped' subs there. Nice idea and execution (nice system/setup and room generally too). Reminded me I had a phone case like that once. What gave you the idea?

Last edited:

mcdn

Forum Donor
I'd love to hear more about the subs! I have an LXmini + LXsub4 setup, and have to roll the dipole bass units off around 35Hz, which leaves that gap to 20Hz for movies and electronica.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
It took me a moment to spot the 'book-spine-wrapped' subs there. Nice idea and execution (nice system/setup and room generally too). Reminded me I had a phone case like that once. What gave you the idea?
I was a design/builder for many years, and I’ve long been committed to digital and the simplification it allows. I had an open-plan home previously, with a secondary system with Linkwitz LXmini flanking the fireplace. Their bass was inadequate in a good-size space like that, so I needed a solution that would fit in the bookcases behind the LXmini. “Books” just seemed like the way to go, so I researched how to cut them. I had fun going to used bookstores and asking for oversized books.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too, love the subs and book idea and would happily replicate it next time I need a domestic sub.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You have a beautifully finished room with lots of little details, like hiding the cabling for your OLED TV (run behind the drywall?). I also see a nice looking rock garden in the reflection of the TV. Nice! I have to make a plan for hiding all my audio equipment.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Thanks! Behind the TV is an in-wall power and wiring box

(https://www.standsandmounts.com/Chi...MI6uiX0qPN_wIVvyitBh35FgMkEAQYASABEgKS9fD_BwE)

I laid in ethernet, optical, and hdmi cabling before the drywall went in. There are recessed floor outlets under each speaker in case I ever switch over to self-amplified speakers like the Genelecs or Dutch.

Best laid plans, though: When the massive TV arrived, it had a proprietary wall mount with fixed mounting points. These didn’t align with the studs. I had to tear out some drywall behind the TV and quickly screw in some additional blocking between studs while the AV installers tapped their toes impatiently. That hole behind the TV remains.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Very homey mood. I like that much better than the boring altar-like installations. (Unfortunately, I have one of those at the moment, too).

I especially like the unconventional speakers. Too bad I can't hear for myself how they sound. BTW: I find it almost impossible to integrate large TVs in a visually appealing way.

Top Bottom