• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musicians are better at decision-making and problem-solving, study shows.

agiletiger

Chicken and egg thing, or the swimmer's body fallacy. I think the Mozart effect has largely been debunked.
Mozart effect has nothing to do with developing musicians. It was the hypothesis that listening to classical music would improve cognitive function - That has certainly been debunked. There is tons of vetted and peer reviewed studies that show the cognitive benefits of being a performer, which neural grooves are being reinforced, which parts of the brain is activated, etc. With neuroplasticity growing as a field, researchers have identified other ways to accomplish the same outcomes.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I recorded Vladimir Horowitz during his post-1985 swansong. He was nuts. As mad as a box of frogs. He was totally convinced he had never been any good, which was also really sad.
A: WOW! I worked for a guy who once tuned Horowitz's piano for a recording session, said it was the hardest job of that type he experienced.

B: Horowitz was always nuts. I think "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" is the Philip K. Dick book with the telekinetic pianist being captured in a recording using some literally living medium, like some biological mode of recording, direct to a volatile petri dish. Needless to say, the pianist is skilled, but insane. I think PKD, an audio enthusiast, was playing off of "Living Stereo" and "Living Presence" and thinking of insane pianists like Horowitz or the super-quirky Sviatoslav Richter. The pianists I got to record all had additional intellectual capacity compared to other musicians. Probably require additional overhead just to memorize all those notes. Some turned that intellectual overhead into neurosis, others poetry.

agiletiger

I knew a accomplished classically trained flutist. She was selecting home speakers and she proved to have a very keen ear. I did the switching and level matching for her in a sound room with about 40 different pair of speakers in it. She quickly selected the MB Quart speakers of the time. They where the sharpest most accurate speaker that we had in that specific sound room. She bought the MB Quart speakers and when I gave her a audition of the B&W 801 Matrix, the Infinity Kappa and the JBL 250Ti she did not like any of them. She said they where missing detail and information in the music. She wanted a revealing accurate sound so she could analyze the musicians playing and then translate that into her playing of the same pieces of classical music.
I'm a classically trained clarinetist. Those like myself who have gone to music school had to take years of ear training. And there are other listening skills you have to develop on your own too. For instance, to get the right sound color on the clarinet, the instrument make even number harmonics much more prominent. I have spent a good deal of time playing a single note at a time changing the intensity of the 2nd and 4th overtones to get the right color. You also might be playing a complicated orchestral piece where you have to listen back to the marimba in a thick setting in order to match intonation and play together. As for aging, you're usually losing the higher frequencies first. For instance, my hearing in my left ear from 4khz and up is starting to concern my doctor. Functionally, this isn't much of an issue as a musician yet. Only stratospheric violin notes and piccolo playing go up that hi. I admit that my sense of overtones may not reflect reality that much. I dread the day where I start playing with an overly bright sound because my perception of those higher harmonics have greatly diminished, thus compelling me to bring them out more.

Robin L

Master Contributor
According to this article, "Classical" isn't a music genre.

R.gif

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Musicians are better at decision-making and problem-solving, study shows
Did the folks in the study ever meet any actual musicians? :)

Seriously, in my field (Computer Science) and before universities had Computer Science degrees, companies recruited Math and Music majors for software development roles.

BostonJack

Editor
Strength training is absolutely protective against cognitive decline and aids problem solving (think: how am I going to pick up this heavy thing and set it down).

Squats in particular improve almost everything!

Most musicians don't do nearly enough squats. The Pope should do squats.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this applies to musicians, but I have found people who are very good at one thing often think they are good at everything when in truth they are only good at that one thing.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Horowitz was always nuts.
Yes, that's undeniable (and probably why I got the gig, because I was good with pianos and had a rep as a guy with a thick skin, who could deal with difficult artists.) But I felt there was an extra component. About 30 years later my mom died of Alzheimers, and looking back in retrospect, I could see the same kind of thing. He had a famous quip about how there were only three kinds of pianists (gay pianists, Jewish pianists ... and bad pianists) and every five minutes he would clasp my wrist and tell it me again, with the same gleam in his eye. So he didn't match the slow-cognitive-decline model. He was early eighties then, I think. My mom didn't get bad until she was 90.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, that's undeniable (and probably why I got the gig, because I was good with pianos and had a rep as a guy with a thick skin, who could deal with difficult artists.) But I felt there was an extra component. About 30 years later my mom died of Alzheimers, and looking back in retrospect, I could see the same kind of thing. He had a famous quip about how there were only three kinds of pianists (gay pianists, Jewish pianists ... and bad pianists) and every five minutes he would clasp my wrist and tell it me again, with the same gleam in his eye. So he didn't match the slow-cognitive-decline model. He was early eighties then, I think. My mom didn't get bad until she was 90.
I knew, and recorded a pianist who was none of these three things, and she also wasn't even a little bit crazy:

Justin Ayers

Horowitz was treated with primitive tricyclic antidepressants. I was given a muscle relaxant that is closely related to those and it was the worst prescription drug experience of my life. How he even managed to perform while using those is beyond me.

I am wary of the claim that he was always crazy. My guess is that the strain of being gay, living away from his native land, being part of a second persecuted group (particularly in his native land), and having to be married to a woman he had to speak French with as they had no other common language — was a lot. Add to that his musical genius and the incredible demands his early performative skills placed on him as he aged. Add to that that he was clearly a highly-competitive perfectionist with an immense depth of musical understanding (made clear by the fact that even performances he isn't renowned for, such as his in-home recording of Scriabin's 3rd sonata have more interpretative detail than any other recorded performance). Being a perfectionist is on its own is a strain. His daughter also suffered from bipolar disease or something similar and committed suicide.

That he was always headstrong doesn't seem to be much in dispute. He became famous first for his refusal to abide by the tempo of the conductor in a performance of the Tchaikovsky first concerto. He sped away from the conductor and the orchestra, doing as he pleased. He may have also been impetuous even as a young man. I haven't researched that time of his life much at all. I do know that later in life one of the men he had sex with regularly said he was prone to bursts of rage and would routinely dump the guy's meal in his lap during dinner. How much of that is due to insanity, though? How much is due to the effects of the tricyclics, which have a very controversial track record (see the Elavil controversy, for instance)? How much is from having to live a lie despite supposedly being adored by nations of musically-inclined people? That's pretty corrosive on one's being, that kind of hypocritical prison. And, also... there is also an entitlement that goes with being a 'maestro' coupled with the frustration of becoming old. Without a male spouse more emphasis is on one's looks to attract romantic interest. The more one's looks decline, the more the frustration will grow.

Interestingly enough, he described his meeting with the composer Scriabin, saying he (Scriabin) was clearly mad. However, the shaking movements Horowitz claimed were evidence of madness were probably due to a different health problem, perhaps one linked to his early death. There is also a rumor that his son was murdered (which happened after his death). In the case of Van Gogh, it is now believed that syphilis played the largest role in his cognitive decline. I think the effects of arsenic in particular (from the green paint he used) is underestimated. His palette was a soup of toxic elements and urban places of that time in particular were often full of deadly toxins. Most of the 'artistic temperament' in terms of artists of his period is related to such poisoning. Cezanne's irritability and diabetes are both symptoms of chronic arsenic exposure. Paris green was his favorite paint pigment. Pianos were treated with dust that was a mixture of arsenic and lead, to prevent insects from feeding on the felt. I don't know if the felt was also processed with mercury.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've known maybe ...
Hey @Doodski, can you find a similar study about the differences between "software" and a "hardware" engineer? ('computer science' is a different beast.)
Now, then: How many pedigreed 'musicians' with a BSEE (and audio design chops) can we name.
You go first!:D

agiletiger

Hey @Doodski, can you find a similar study about the differences between "software" and a "hardware" engineer? ('computer science' is a different beast.)
Now, then: How many pedigreed 'musicians' with a BSEE (and audio design chops) can we name.
You go first!:D
I went to Peabody Conservatory. They have a recording arts degree where you earn a music performance degree from Peabody and an engineering degree from John’s Hopkins. Graduates get placed into places like Polk Audio and the Navy (sonar research). So I’ve known a number of people that check off both boxes.

Top Bottom