• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musetec Audio (LKS Audio) MH-DA005 Review (DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 202 82.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters

asov87

If I may chip in with my own experience regarding this DAC and some tests I conducted about a month ago.
I purchased this DAC last year (based on reviews online and good specs on their website it seemed to be a Holo May competitor).
Sound wise subjectively : quite good, I liked it...
A month ago I decided to purchase the E1DA ADC (grade A) and an SMSL SU-9n. I ran the measurement tests as good as I could (still learning a lot of stuff about this hobby) and to my surprise I ended up pretty much with the same results as Amir (minus the jitter stuff though).
I then found the DAC ABX test a fellow user posted in this forum and I went ahead and replicated that with my two DACs (recording with Audacity a couple of songs through the ADC using both DACs, matching the level of the output) then tried to identify which is which using foobar.
Of course I couldn't identify them in a blind ABX therefore I'm selling the Musetec, simply because I don't hear anything better (or worse) so if I can get some money back and use a cheaper DAC, why not use that money on something else...like the KEF Reference 1 Meta ? ;)

Anyway, I personally learned a lot from this forum and I am grateful to @amirm and all the members that take their time and explain some unknowns of this hobby to the general population.

Thanks,
Adrian

kairos

The assumption here is that break-in has no measurable consequences? I'm not joking.
The ASR folk don't joke with regards to break-in or other audiophile shibboleths, they don't believe it exists because it does not show up in time-differentiated a/b measurements apparently.

BTW I have this Musetec DAC lol as well as a Terminator II and Lumin P1 and just bought a Topping D90SE to experiment with it as a "control" DAC to evaluate the other DACS. My system is roughly $60K all in with cables etc. This swapping experiment will not be blind/controlled but will be level matched and I will use headphones as well as speakers. Very much looking forward to the experiment as I have been curious for some time how the new ESS-based Topping would perform in a higher end system. My music will be high rez files both local network and streamed and predominately acoustic and voices (classical and jazz) with some Ambient and Classic Rock thrown in for good measure. Looking specifically to evaluate sound characteristics that are NOT specifically captured via measurements like tone, soundstage dimensions/depth and dynamics as clarity at this level is a given and is captured in measurements like SINAD.

Reactions: DBB

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm
let me understand, you run ultra sophisticated tests and you are not able to update the firmware of a device? the guide is quite simple, there are only two steps to take.

this verbal aggression of yours really leaves me perplexed ...

how many dollars do you want to retest after the suggested updates?
Oh my God, what is happening on this forum? You’re brand new here—how about sparing us the cute patronization games and just get to your point?

@amirm
let me understand, you run ultra sophisticated tests and you are not able to update the firmware of a device? the guide is quite simple, there are only two steps to take.
That the guide is "quite simple" does not mean that it is accurate relative to the firmware currently in the device, or even that the process reliable. Documentation, and its regular maintenance, is where many companies fall short (looking at you, Microsoft.)

this verbal aggression of yours really leaves me perplexed ...

how many dollars do you want to retest after the suggested updates?
Yours is probably the most blatantly hostile comment that I've seen in this thread.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This swapping experiment will not be blind/controlled but will be level matched and I will use headphones as well as speakers.

Why not?

Looking specifically to evaluate sound characteristics that are NOT specifically captured via measurements like tone, soundstage dimensions/depth and dynamics as clarity at this level is a given and is captured in measurements like SINAD.

And you expect to do that without meaningful controls?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ASR folk don't joke with regards to break-in or other audiophile shibboleths, they don't believe it exists because it does not show up in time-differentiated a/b measurements apparently.

BTW I have this Musetec DAC lol as well as a Terminator II and Lumin P1 and just bought a Topping D90SE to experiment with it as a "control" DAC to evaluate the other DACS. My system is roughly $60K all in with cables etc. This swapping experiment will not be blind/controlled but will be level matched and I will use headphones as well as speakers. Very much looking forward to the experiment as I have been curious for some time how the new ESS-based Topping would perform in a higher end system. My music will be high rez files both local network and streamed and predominately acoustic and voices (classical and jazz) with some Ambient and Classic Rock thrown in for good measure. Looking specifically to evaluate sound characteristics that are NOT specifically captured via measurements like tone, soundstage dimensions/depth and dynamics as clarity at this level is a given and is captured in measurements like SINAD.
None of those subjective endpoints have anything to do with the job of a DAC, but thanks for gratuitously informing us of the monetary power of your wallet. This DAC review has really brought some of the Flat Earthers out of the woodwork—why is anyone’s guess. There must be a bunch of big spenders out there who have fallen for the marketing schemes of this manufacturer. Enjoy listening to distorted, noisy sound…

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Oh my God, what is happening on this forum? You’re brand new here—how about sparing us the cute patronization games and just get to your point?

They are coming out of the woodwork today! The word must have gone out...

Luca_

Il fatto che la guida sia "abbastanza semplice" non significa che sia accurata o addirittura che il processo sia affidabile. La documentazione e la sua regolare manutenzione sono i punti in cui molte aziende non sono all'altezza (guardando a te, Microsoft.)

Il tuo è probabilmente il commento più palesemente ostile che ho visto in questo thread.
the theme is as follows:

1 - it has been said that the driver cannot be found to make ASIO work and it is NOT TRUE, the driver can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website

2 - in the guide there are all the information about the screwdriver and the need to use it for the remote control

@amirm
after the suggested updates ... you can run the new tests using ASIO too ... if you feel like itù

Todd k

Forum Donor
I am the forum member that sent the unit to Amir. I presently own the lks 004 the predecessor to this dac. I also owned a holo spring version 1 kte dac. I liked the lks a bit better so went out on a limb and ordered the musetec 005 based on my enjoyment of 004. based on glowing reviews (pardon my relying on customer testimonials) and my existing use of the lks bought this unit an had it sent to Amir. The seller was fully aware it was going to asr. I have reached out to distributor for a response to review. I knew there was a chance the outcome could be not ideal. I don’t know if they will accept the unit back for refund, they seem to think that it falls outside of their 30 day window. I’m fully aware of the risk I took and am very disappointed in the measurements. I hope the manufacturer reaches out to Amir, I fear that won’t happen an I will accept the outcome. Ok guys I mite have taken one for the team. I have had pretty good luck with buying overseas manufactured electronics. Gustard comes to mind and holo audio and my lks. Live an learn. Anyway I’still feel pretty good about offering the unit for review as I have for a couple of years eagerly awaited amirs reviews of equipment. One of my pandemic mood enhancers has been ASR. By the way this site led me too revel ultima salons 2. Sonic nirvana. This site has taught me a lot. So thanks to all of you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, I very much respect your technical background. Measurement numbers are not the same as sound quality which is necessarily subjective. How many live concerts have you gone to in the last 3 years? I have never read a music review that you wrote. Are you qualified to talk about the sound of music?
Music review? That is assessing art, not hardware. Hardware has no business laying its editorial change on everything you play.

The job of hardware is to reproduce the recording with as little modification as possible. That is where the name "High Fidelity" came from. Fidelity to the source or what you put in the device.

Sound quality is subjective but that should only rely on one sense and one sense only: your ears. High-end restaurants make food pretty due to the old saying of "you eat with your eyes." Surely pretty food is no tastier but if they can confuse your brain, might as well.

We love listening tests far more than measurements by the way. Just do it right with your ears only and repetition to remove probability of guessing and we will have great bear hug! :) That is only something you can do. Watch my video and do that simple test. It will take you less time to do that than to write all these posts. See if your ears-only evaluations are equal to ears+rest of your senses. Then we have reliable data.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

IMO the Terminator franchise should have stopped after the first film although was the second one with the liquid metal that wasn’t too awful.
Keith

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Again, tail wagging the dog. Cart before the horse, if you prefer. Do you send your measurement equipment to a concert?
No one uses measurement gear to "listen" to music at home, so why would they do that at a concert? Choosing what to buy in order to do that listening is a different matter,

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
Oh, I am capable of many things. But having bricked devices before, I am not about to randomly update firmware in devices, much less in a $3,400 one that has to be sent back to China for repair. And what basis do you have that firmware fixes its problems? Are you the manufacturer?

Luca_

Oh, I am capable of many things. But having bricked devices before, I am not about to randomly update firmware in devices, much less in a $3,400 one that has to be sent back to China for repair. And what basis do you have that firmware fixes its problems? Are you the manufacturer?
I'm used to always using the latest firmware version of the devices I use ... the reason is simple ... I'm also used to using the drivers provided by the manufacturer ... even here the reason is simple ...

I don't understand your obstinacy in wanting to test DACs using universal drivers ...

are you hiding something from us?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
the guide is quite simple, there are only two steps to take.
What two steps? Documentation clearly shows 6 steps. This is the start of it:

----
MH-DA005 USB firmware update notes

This is the note about internal USB firmware update.

We need a computer run Windows system. Win7 or Win10 32/64bits.

Step 1.

Unzip the file “oemtool117.zip”

Run the “ConfigTool.exe”

The OEMID should be “nativedsd”, Click “OK”.

-----

OEMID is "nativedsd?" Really? Who is nativedsd?

Here is the next step:
---
Please connect DA005 to your PC via an USB cable. Also please connect the AC power cable to the DAC.

Switch on the power. Wait 5~10 seconds. (You don't have to wait until the DAC displayer is fully powered on. )

Push the key in the red circle for 2 seconds. Then release the key.

-----

I don't know what red circle they are talking about.

Next step is this:
----
Step 3.

Select correct firmware version as below.
1652898670271.png

----

No... I am not doing all this for no reason. A firmware update should be a simple .exe you run and it does everything for you and should be it. I am not going through all these steps.

And again, why should a brand new unit at such high cost ship with anything other than the latest firmware?

btom

For this kind of money you would except perfection and then some:the looks,feel,ease of use,extras etc.For ~500 i would vote 2,i like the looks of it and it clears CD 16bit,jitter under hearing threshold.But for this kind of money this is headless.

BTW nice seeing Musetec employes in the thread(no way this many owners just registered today)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm used to always using the latest firmware version of the devices I use ... the reason is simple ... I'm also used to using the drivers provided by the manufacturer ... even here the reason is simple ...

I don't understand your obstinacy in wanting to test DACs using universal drivers ...

are you hiding something from us?
Are you having trouble reading English? For the third time, I installed the drivers. That is the only way I could get it to work over USB.

In addition, I tested using AES digital input which does NOT involve a computer so doesn't need drivers.

This was all documented in the review.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are coming out of the woodwork today! The word must have gone out...
Galen Gareis must have called in the troops over on the PS Audio forum. I heard he’s been trolling Amir over there after his review of the Iconoclast cable…

Top Bottom