• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MrSpeakers Ether CX - good value/recommended by ASR?

VariousArtists

I see that Amir owns the Ether CX and uses it regularly in his headphone amplifier reviews, but it seems that the headphone itself has not been reviewed by him.

So I am just wondering if there is a backstory to this, is something ASR would recommend for closed-back, planar headphones? Asking as someone who has experience with HD6XX, HD800S, Hifiman Ananda, Arya and AirPods Max - is the Ether CX sufficiently different from them and worth auditioning?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Veri

Master Contributor
He was going to review them but I think it's on the "backlog" solely because all the stuff people have and are sending him tends to get priority; that stuff needs to get back to the owners. His personal things are more "it'll be done when it'll be done" approach.

OP
V

VariousArtists

He was going to review them but I think it's on the "backlog" solely because all the stuff people have and are sending him tends to get priority; that stuff needs to get back to the owners. His personal things are more "it'll be done when it'll be done" approach.
Ah that makes sense, considering the backlog I fear that it might never get reviewed lol.

Still I guess he wouldn't use them for headphone amplifier reviews if it is very bad/inaccurate, maybe he like them subjectively at least...

What are other people's opinion on the Ether CX? It feels pretty unique to me at least as the only closed-back planar I know of (admittedly I know very little but still).

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah that makes sense, considering the backlog I fear that it might never get reviewed lol.

Still I guess he wouldn't use them for headphone amplifier reviews if it is very bad/inaccurate, maybe he like them subjectively at least...

What are other people's opinion on the Ether CX? It feels pretty unique to me at least as the only closed-back planar I know of (admittedly I know very little but still).
I believe Amir tests them to have a difficult planar load for a headphone amp, but is otherwise not *that* fond of them, I think the Aeon RT closed on drop or from MrSpeakers direct are a better tuned headphone. But the Ethers look pretty nice too, and the pads might be extra comfy from the looks of it.
I own neither though. I have an Audeze Sine on-ear which is not that comfortable but is one of the best tuned headphones I own, wear them while working all the time. If I'd had to buy one now I'd probably look into Aeon RT / Aeon 2 (noire), though.

OP
V

VariousArtists

I believe Amir tests them to have a difficult planar load for a headphone amp, but is otherwise not *that* fond of them, I think the Aeon RT closed on drop or from MrSpeakers direct are a better tuned headphone. But the Ethers look pretty nice too, and the pads might be extra comfy from the looks of it.
I own neither though. I have an Audeze Sine on-ear which is not that comfortable but is one of the best tuned headphones I own, wear them while working all the time. If I'd had to buy one now I'd probably look into Aeon RT / Aeon 2 (noire), though.
Understood - I did some research just now and the opinions on Ether CX seem to be mixed at best. Will check out Aeon Closed - thanks for the pointers!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I would wait for the review (hint hint @amirm) as it may well be the Dan Clark Aeon RT closed might get you to a similar place for less.

OP
V

VariousArtists

Btw, how is the Aeon 2 Noire related to the Aeon RT? Is Aeon 2 Noire closed meant to be the successor of Aeon RT closed?

Just saw Amir's review of the Aeon RT closed and it's really tempting...

Veri

Master Contributor
Btw, how is the Aeon 2 Noire related to the Aeon RT? Is Aeon 2 Noire closed meant to be the successor of Aeon RT closed?

Just saw Amir's review of the Aeon RT closed and it's really tempting...
Yes the Aeon 2 Noire is its successor and very close tuning to Harman target for what it's worth :)

ClosDeLaRoche

I used to own the original Aeon Closed, original Aeon Open and Ether CX. Of those I kept the CX.

The CX is tuned very similar to the original Aeon Closed, which is to say close to Diffuse Field neutral (think the Etymotic "Studio" series earbuds like the ER4SR or ER3SE), while the Open is mid-range focused (too much of a mid-range bump for me). I thought the CX had a "bigger" sound than the Aeon Closed with slightly more present bass.

I like my CX and recommend it, but I do hate the stock pads. If you get them the ZMF Universe Lambskin pads are a required purchase. The headphones are more comfortable and sound better with them. I also recommend using the two-notch white filters as the treble without any filters is too sharp.

I also own the 6XX and think the CX is a clearer headphone with deeper bass. Both are great and I switch between them depending on my mood.

It should also be noted that the CX with the ZMF pads is an amazingly comfortable headphone. The Aeons are also incredibly comfortable.

If you would like to get a "taste" of the CX tuning for cheap buy an open-box Etymotic ER3SE on eBay or Amazon for under $100. The CX is tuned a lot like it but sounds more open, crisper up top and with deeper bass.

OP
V

VariousArtists

I used to own the original Aeon Closed, original Aeon Open and Ether CX. Of those I kept the CX.

The CX is tuned very similar to the original Aeon Closed, which is to say close to Diffuse Field neutral (think the Etymotic "Studio" series earbuds like the ER4SR or ER3SE), while the Open is mid-range focused (too much of a mid-range bump for me). I thought the CX had a "bigger" sound than the Aeon Closed with slightly more present bass.

I like my CX and recommend it, but I do hate the stock pads. If you get them the ZMF Universe Lambskin pads are a required purchase. The headphones are more comfortable and sound better with them. I also recommend using the two-notch white filters as the treble without any filters is too sharp.

I also own the 6XX and think the CX is a clearer headphone with deeper bass. Both are great and I switch between them depending on my mood.

It should also be noted that the CX with the ZMF pads is an amazingly comfortable headphone. The Aeons are also incredibly comfortable.

If you would like to get a "taste" of the CX tuning for cheap buy an open-box Etymotic ER3SE on eBay or Amazon for under $100. The CX is tuned a lot like it but sounds more open, crisper up top and with deeper bass.

Appreciate the info! Unfortunately I already got Aeon 2 Noire haha, loving it so far.

swarley

Appreciate the info! Unfortunately I already got Aeon 2 Noire haha, loving it so far.
I've been debating on the Aeon RT Closed and Aeon 2 Noire for a while now..Feels like it'll just be a matter of time for me to pull the trigger on one of them.

Smychavo

Audeze seems to offer a closed back variant of the LCD-2. Wonder how that would stack up to the current Aeon lineup...

sacguy231

I'd love to see a review of these. I got the Drop Aeon Closed X a couple months back and really enjoy them; I think they are a very good value. I'd be curious to know if the CX is a worthwhile upgrade, or if it's really not much better/different.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a review of these. I got the Drop Aeon Closed X a couple months back and really enjoy them; I think they are a very good value. I'd be curious to know if the CX is a worthwhile upgrade, or if it's really not much better/different.
Beg @amirm - he owns a pair.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

My fear is that he doesn't necessarily like them that much it's just because they're a 25 ohm load

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My fear is that he doesn't necessarily like them that much it's just because they're a 25 ohm load

He liked the DCA Aeon RT lots and thats even lower impedance I think.I think @amirm is more concerned by how the whole package works and sounds than how it gets there. I think the Ether CX whenever it gets reviewed will be similar to the Aeon RT- possibly even better - not sure about the Freq. Response- but based on this I think we will be looking at a need for more bass (easy to EQ if low distortion) and a pretty smooth treble with minimal need to EQ to target. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bg5zijjlj099os/MrSpeakers Ether CX.pdf?dl=0

ClosDeLaRoche

Audeze seems to offer a closed back variant of the LCD-2. Wonder how that would stack up to the current Aeon lineup...
I used to have the LCD2 as well.

The LCD2 has more "wow" factor, like you will like them more initially, but as time went on I preferred the Aeons. The LCD2 is very uncomfortable and heavy while the Aeons are the second most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. And while the LCD2 has amazing bass response the rest of the range sounds off. The Aeons have weaker, less impressive bass but overall have a more even tone. This is especially true of the Closed variant. The Open variant had too much of a mid-bass emphasis.

Although I'll note that after many years of headphone enthusiasm I decided on the 6XX and Etymotic ER4XR & SR as my end game cans. I've sold everything else (except an Ety ER2XR that I use for running and chores around the house)

3kweave

I used to have the LCD2 as well.

The LCD2 has more "wow" factor, like you will like them more initially, but as time went on I preferred the Aeons. The LCD2 is very uncomfortable and heavy while the Aeons are the second most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. And while the LCD2 has amazing bass response the rest of the range sounds off. The Aeons have weaker, less impressive bass but overall have a more even tone. This is especially true of the Closed variant. The Open variant had too much of a mid-bass emphasis.

Although I'll note that after many years of headphone enthusiasm I decided on the 6XX and Etymotic ER4XR & SR as my end game cans. I've sold everything else (except an Ety ER2XR that I use for running and chores around the house)
What’s the most comfortable headphone you’ve worn?

ClosDeLaRoche

What’s the most comfortable headphone you’ve worn?
The Mayflower modded T50RP with MrSpeakers comfort strap and V-Moda cable.

It has the greatest pads ever for comfort, the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads. The MrSpeakers strap is excellent for evenly distributing the headphone's weight, which is not all that heavy. And although almost all headphones have cables that go into both cups these days a cable going into only one cup, especially a cable as feather-light as the V Moda, makes for a more comfortable headphone.

Unfortunately the sound quality of the Mayflower T50 isn't in the same league as Aeon's or HD6XX. They have worse bass roll-off than HD6XX with too-sharp highs. Overall a pretty uneven and edgy sound. Decent for jazz but not amazing at anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom