• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving from AVR to Separates: Amplifier Questions

Curated Papaya

Hi,

Background
  • I use AVR (Denon x1700H) to power my 2.1 Stereo system. I'm happy with the result after the Audyssey room correction the AVR provided. The sources are Smart TV connecting via toslink and a turntable mixer connecting to AVR analogue input.
  • I'm looking for a 2.1 system upgrade. I understand From the research that going for separate amplifiers is a better bet than upgrading AVR. I also realize that I need the kind of room correction from Dirac or REW.
  • I just purchased the new loudspeakers and a subwoofer. I don't have a plan to upgrade my current speakers.
Question
  • I researched DAC, Amplifiers and how to connect them to my existing system, as below diagram. Will the plan work with miniDSP DDRC-24 (Dirac Live capability) and Topping LA90 Amplifier?
  • Are there better alternatives on this route under $1500?
Legacy
- Blue is my current equipment
- Yellow is potential equipment I might purchase

Hometheater - Frame 3 (2).jpg

Thanks a lot. It's my first time posting here. I have enjoyed the objective reviews on this forum. It helped me a lot with a decisive product purchase.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
This honestly looks pretty good to me. The only advice I can give you is concentrate your money on the back end (and you could do a lot worse than a pair of R3's and a REL sub).

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure the miniDSP can't decode the Dolby/DTS DVD & Blu-Ray formats and you'll lose the "point one" LFE channel. (You can still send the regular bass to the sub.)

OP
C

Curated Papaya

This honestly looks pretty good to me. The only advice I can give you is concentrate your money on the back end (and you could do a lot worse than a pair of R3's and a REL sub).
Thank you! I have Wharfedale Lintons 85 and Polk HTS12 as a sub. I hope they will do okay.

I'm pretty sure the miniDSP can't decode the Dolby/DTS DVD & Blu-Ray formats and you'll lose the "point one" LFE channel. (You can still send the regular bass to the sub.)
Thank you. I checked miniDSP document and yes it doesn't accept multichannel digital audio. I'm really new into this hometheater hobby.
- Will it affect to the listening experience when I watch movies or YouTube on TV?
- From this connection, does the regular bass coming out of the sub will be just a 'regular' and not 'intended point one format' from that particular content?

1692147488151.png

Many thanks

Flexecutioner

This is very similar to my previous setup. You won't get the specific LFE channel, but you'll have a full-range stereo signal from your TV so long as it can output PCM.

One thing I noticed about this setup is that you won't be using the subwoofer with your turntable setup. You can route the mixer to the analog input of the DDRC-24, but it only accepts RCA. Note that the analog RCA inputs clip at 2V, so don't use an XLR to RCA cable straight from your mixers balanced outputs (didn't check any info about your mixer so you could use unbalanced outputs if they are an option).

I'd also check the input sensitivity of the LA90. The max voltage output from the DDRC-24 is 2V, but with Dirac enabled, they recommend staying below -10dB, so you lose a bit of headroom there as well. The LA90 isn't known for being a powerhouse, but it might still be enough depending on your setup. It's definitely worth looking into.

If you decide you want to go down this path, I'll be selling my DDRC-24 with umik-1 soon. I even have some 1m Ghent Audio RCA to XLR I could throw in. I upgraded to the SHD and went fully balanced to my amp.

EDIT: An unbalanced minidsp flex, with Dirac, umik-1, and a something like a Buckeye NC252MP stereo amp would also be in budget. You wouldn't have the option to run your mixer directly to your amp with this setup, but it has some benefits and I'm sure there are other decent good amps with multiple inputs if that's what you need.

Last edited:
OP
C

Curated Papaya

This is very similar to my previous setup. You won't get the specific LFE channel, but you'll have a full-range stereo signal from your TV so long as it can output PCM.

One thing I noticed about this setup is that you won't be using the subwoofer with your turntable setup. You can route the mixer to the analog input of the DDRC-24, but it only accepts RCA. Note that the analog RCA inputs clip at 2V, so don't use an XLR to RCA cable straight from your mixers balanced outputs (didn't check any info about your mixer so you could use unbalanced outputs if they are an option).

I'd also check the input sensitivity of the LA90. The max voltage output from the DDRC-24 is 2V, but with Dirac enabled, they recommend staying below -10dB, so you lose a bit of headroom there as well. The LA90 isn't known for being a powerhouse, but it might still be enough depending on your setup. It's definitely worth looking into.

If you decide you want to go down this path, I'll be selling my DDRC-24 with umik-1 soon. I even have some 1m Ghent Audio RCA to XLR I could throw in. I upgraded to the SHD and went fully balanced to my amp.

EDIT: An unbalanced minidsp flex, with Dirac, umik-1, and a something like a Buckeye NC252MP stereo amp would also be in budget. You wouldn't have the option to run your mixer directly to your amp with this setup, but it has some benefits and I'm sure there are other decent good amps with multiple inputs if that's what you need.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I've decided to go with Minidsp Flex + Umik-1 and the power amplifier Topping PA5 ii. With this path, I can connect a TV (Toslink) and a mixer to Minidsp Flex as my sources.
Hometheater - Frame 2.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would have gone with a higher model Denon avr, especially one with pre-outs for external amps as well as XT32....curious, are you currently using the editor app with your 1700?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I would have gone with a higher model Denon avr, especially one with pre-outs for external amps as well as XT32....curious, are you currently using the editor app with your 1700?
I would go with Anthem for room correction. Audyssey has been updating longer than WWI, II and Afghanistan combined. It is inherently flawed and near extinction.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never liked the sound. Always had to boost center to understand dialog. I can hear voices at low volume with Anthem. Audyssey reminds of sound in movie theater. They both suck.
Never had those issues myself. I don't boost the centers either. I like a well setup theater, tho.

Top Bottom