• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most cringeworthy Movie Cliche.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A car’s driver shouting “hang on” to the passengers as he/she attempts some move.
Yeah. Given that we all know in real life, folks say, "Here. Hold my beer and watch this!"

euit1cw8815c.jpg

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the acopalypse arrives you done your leather clothes and an a mix of spray painted hockey protection and/or motor cross protective products outside your clothes . Get your sawed of shotgun and chainsaw ready .
Step out into you modified beach buggy or off-road whehicle with metal bars over the windows, there are always for some reason an ample supply of petrol even when society has collapsed .....

Goethefan

Go on, what are your favorites.

Let me kick it off with a couple:

"Lock-n-load" normally yelled in an unconvincing gruff bellow as butch marine types go into battle. I wince everytime.

And my personal pet hate:
Red wire blue wire, and a pair of wavering wire cutters. Why do directors/writers think this lends any sort of credibilty or plot jeopardy after all this time?

Do your worst....
Why does the perpetrator always throw his intended victim across the room?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cars that don't start as people are desperately trying to get away... until the very last micro-second, that is...
Oh, I hate those.

Does remind me of the Alfred Hitchcock TV show about bets on whether a cigarette lighter can work 10 times in a row. Have to think he had this car thing in mind when he did it.

A Man from the South.

benanders

Oh, I hate those.

Does remind me of the Alfred Hitchcock TV show about bets on whether a cigarette lighter can work 10 times in a row. Have to think he had this car thing in mind when he did it.

A Man from the South.

Makes me wonder if the car to the you-know-what started promptly after the last chapter in “Four Rooms,” after the cigarette lighter bet. :D

benanders

Animal sounds dubbed-in, for animals.

Eagle scream = #1
Phone ringtone cat meow = #2
Panther scream = #3
Dolphin chatter = dishonorable mention. Especially as applied in “Caddyshack.”

Also, apparent refusal of animals to ever withstand temptation of making sounds during movies. If all the human extras in movies were as vociferous as the typical non-humans, cinema dialogue never would’ve been intelligible.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Animal sounds dubbed-in, for animals.

Eagle scream = #1
Phone ringtone cat meow = #2
Panther scream = #3
Dolphin chatter = dishonorable mention. Especially as applied in “Caddyshack.”

Also, apparent refusal of animals to ever withstand temptation of making sounds during movies. If all the human extras in movies were as vociferous as the typical non-humans, cinema dialogue never would’ve been intelligible.
But without the eagle scream how to know there is an upcoming desert scene :)

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The ever-annoying wilhelm scream
Don't go into the basement
Don't go into the attic
The always-failing flashlight
The perpetual 'must be smart because wearing glassses'
The 'hacker' just typing nonsense.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is up and down in space . In Star Trek they usually meet face to face with the enemy vessel who surprisingly has it upside exactly at the same orientation as enterprise :)

I think they make use of this as a plot element in one movie where the surprise someone (Khan ?) who's thinking "horizontally" when looking for Enterprise in some kind of cloud.

Space clouds :) battle in space would be extremely predicable as everyone has line of sight to each other , best long range weapon wins especially beam weapons as lasers.
So convenient gas clouds moons asteroids whatnots are used .

In the Asteroid belt its like 5-200 meters between rocks :) . In reality the density is so low that's practically ignored by Nasa tough luck if a prope hit something.
You would not realize if you where in the middle of the Asteroid belt.

Sometimes what we call cliche is dramaturgical convenience like ""Exit stage left" in a theater to clue in the audience . I think the sound of drawing swords are like this it's kind of expected.

cocking of guns can be used to prepare the viewer for a shoot out , sometimes for surprise some one just shoots somebody with any prewarning instead.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
all aliens have what look like 2 arms and 2 legs
ditto bad aliens but additionally: lots of teeth and a tail

dwkdnvr

In all seriousness, I don't know. :)
That said -- I was just reflecting on the topic of this thread and it got me to musing... hmm, it's too bad no one ever made a movie version of Gravity's Rainbow.

... umm...

Please, in the name of all things holy, tell me that no one has... ;)
Apparently Gravity's Rainbow just turned 50 (as did Dark Side of the Moon, oddly)

not a bad article https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a43095495/gravitys-rainbow-anniversary/

And yeah - I'm not sure GR has 'a plot' in the conventional sense, or at least 'the point' isn't one that is encapsulated that way.

Top Bottom